Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Despite the fact that I'm happy about the change, I agree that it is more terrible and inconsistent messaging from the CDC. It makes no more sense than the Director's doom and gloom did a couple weeks ago. These wild swings do nothing to engender confidence in our decision makers.

I'd like to have even a reasonable theory about what brought this about in such an abrupt way this week.
I think the CDC was properly criticized for moving too slowly in lifting restrictions and decided to do quickly what should have already been done more gradually.

Jrb1979

Vaccine passports are practical in very limited circumstances. Walmart can’t practically implement a vaccine passport system for all their stores. That’s not practical.
No but Walmart and businesses like them should have kept masks indoors for everyone til whatever vaccination threshold they deem good. I would feel much better if all parks follow what the California parks are doing in requiring proof of vaccination for entry.

Incomudro

I respect your opinion but as I said, it’s not all about you and me. Many families feel differently. With the low crowds and masking they may have felt it was ok.
I get that, but I also, well... Don't get that.
I just think differently and can't imagine taking my family to WDW if I felt masks and distancing were the only things protecting them.
But, I never really believed very strongly in the effectiveness of those things under many conditions - as you've probably seen from some of my previous posts.

Nickp1983

I think the CDC was properly criticized for moving too slowly in lifting restrictions and decided to do quickly what should have already been done more gradually.
I think the larger issue is the cdc trying to do things to encourage people to get vaccinated.
Their slow removal of restrictions caused a great deal of people to say "what's the point of getting vaccinated if I have to act like I haven't been?"

I think they are hoping this encourages people to get it done now. I also think they know that many people who won't wear a mask now, haven't been anyways. No store in my area did anything about it if someone wasn't wearing a mask.

I think there's also a bit of "if we get parents freaked out about their kids being around maskless people, maybe they will get them their shots faster"

I also think there's some other thing at work here... but I'll leave my crazy conspiracy theory to myself

ImperfectPixie

No but Walmart and businesses like them should have kept masks indoors for everyone til whatever vaccination threshold they deem good. I would feel much better if all parks follow what the California parks are doing in requiring proof of vaccination for entry.
What they've basically done is reward the people who haven't been following the rules from the start and punish (by means of stress) those who have been following the rules.

DisneyDebRob

I get that, but I also, well... Don't get that.
I just think differently and can't imagine taking my family to WDW if I felt masks and distancing were the only things protecting them.
But, I never really believed very strongly in the effectiveness of those things under many conditions - as you've probably seen from some of my previous posts.
I have.🙂

drizgirl

I respect your opinion but as I said, it’s not all about you and me. Many families feel differently. With the low crowds and masking they may have felt it was ok.
If nothing else, life over the past 15 months should have taught people to expect lots of changes. I see your point, but predictability is just not something any of us have been able to plan on for a while. Rolling with the punches is a key part of any Disney trip these days. And likely for a while to come.

DisneyDebRob

If nothing else, life over the past 15 months should have taught people to expect lots of changes. I see your point, but predictability is just not something any of us have been able to plan on for a while. Rolling with the punches is a key part of any Disney trip these days. And likely for a while to come.
Agreed. I just feel bad for the people that can’t get there that quickly is all. I’ve always been one to fight for the underdog I guess.

drizgirl

Agreed. I just feel bad for the people that can’t get there that quickly is all. I’ve always been one to fight for the underdog I guess.
I'm one who can't get there quickly and it's maddening. I figure if I plan something someone will throw a couple dozen road blocks at me before I can even get there. It's disappointing but I had to just bow out and give up. I'm planning on 2022. After getting close to pulling the trigger 3 or 4 times on WDW or DLR. I'm at peace with it now.

My friend did go last week. And she ended up having to drive into Georgia with her 2 daughters just as the gas shortages were taking off.

Right now it just seems there's always something.

Flugell

I'm one who can't get there quickly and it's maddening. I figure if I plan something someone will throw a couple dozen road blocks at me before I can even get there. It's disappointing but I had to just bow out and give up. I'm planning on 2022. After getting close to pulling the trigger 3 or 4 times on WDW or DLR. I'm at peace with it now.

My friend did go last week. And she ended up having to drive into Georgia with her 2 daughters just as the gas shortages were taking off.

Especially if you’re in the U.K.!

ImperfectPixie

How? If you've been following the rules then you're vaccinated (if possible).
My youngest can't be vaccinated yet. My best friend can't be vaccinated at all, and now she's stuck staying isolated even longer, and she literally hasn't gone anywhere - she's been working from home the entire time...not even 1 trip to the office to pick anything up.

Not to mention the worry about variants (let's be honest - we're giving the virus plenty of opportunity, here).

But YAY! the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers can pretend to be vaccinated!

Nickp1983

Ugh, you had to bring up the gas shortage. Self imposed gas shortage.
I'm not even mad about the shortage. I'm just mad that instead of getting a Mad Max style world with leather clad people in hockey masks and juiced up off roading trucks.... we got idiots putting gas in hefty bags and 30 minute lines.

I'm going to Disney in 10 days and I fully expect an alien invansion to happen in 8. But instead of INDEPENDENCE DAY or ALIENS... we'll get Mac and Me....

Attachments

• FirmTediousDingo-size_restricted.gif
    FirmTediousDingo-size_restricted.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

drizgirl

My youngest can't be vaccinated yet. My best friend can't be vaccinated at all, and now she's stuck staying isolated even longer, and she literally hasn't gone anywhere - she's been working from home the entire time...not even 1 trip to the office to pick anything up.

Not to mention the worry about variants (let's be honest - we're giving the virus plenty of opportunity, here).

But YAY! the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers can pretend to be vaccinated!
Well, your friend was staying in anyway, right? So things haven't changed for her.

I hope they can get a vaccine approved quickly for your younger son.

The most curious part is that the party in power is generally seen as more pro-mask, pro-vaccine. I wish someone could make it all make sense for us.
Ugh, you had to bring up the gas shortage. Self imposed gas shortage.
I'm not even mad about the shortage. I'm just mad that instead of getting a Mad Max style world with leather clad people in hockey masks and juiced up off roading trucks.... we got idiots putting gas in hefty bags and 30 minute lines.
I can't even tell you how stressful that mess of a gas shortage was for my friend. So much uncertainty. Stress on top of stress. Then she thought she was good and had trouble finding stations with gas when she got into Tennessee.

Nickp1983

I can't even tell you how stressful that mess of a gas shortage was for my friend. So much uncertainty. Stress on top of stress. Then she thought she was good and had trouble finding stations with gas when she got into Tennessee.
Oh it sucked. I'm in Charlotte NC and we had it bad... if not the worse. Every gas station in 10 miles was bone dry on Tuesday night. All 4 of our cars had less than a 1/8th (STUPID!). We went out Tuesday night to hunt for gas and it was nerve racking. It was our fault for letting the cars get that low but we were stuck. Luckily I found some gas and got my truck up to a 3rd. We are driving to Disney in 10 days so my wife is totally going to have gas buddy up so she can monitor stations unless it gets better.

Pic from Tuesday night.

Attachments

• 20210511_194831.jpg
    20210511_194831.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom