Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

So reading between the lines...Fauci says federal guidance on wearing face coverings indoors may change soon and also says "We do need to start being more liberal, as we get more people vaccinated," That seems to me to be setting the ground work for a Federal recommendation possible coming out soon to lose the masks once X% of the population is vaccinated...likely the 70% already set as a target and used by several states and local governments.
Between statements from Dr. Fauci, President Biden (70% by July 4), and Mayor Demings (no masks indoors or outdoors at 70%, and who discussed this with park operators), I think corporate Disney is working towards ending its mask requirement by July 4, which is less than 2 months away.

Certainly before the 50th anniversary celebration on October 1.

JAKECOTCenter

Between statements from Dr. Fauci, President Biden (70% by July 4), and Mayor Demings (no masks indoors or outdoors when at 70%, and who coordinated this with park operators), I think corporate Disney is working towards ending its mask requirement by July 4, which is less than 2 months away.

Not what the new After Hours event is saying. But again that could be PR not aware of current health guidance

ParentsOf4

Not what the new After Hours event is saying. But again that could be PR not aware of current health guidance
Disney should continue to say "masks required" until they say "masks not required."

Suggesting today that masks will not be required by date X is sending the wrong message. (And presumptive.)

Reach the goal first before making the announcement.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Between statements from Dr. Fauci, President Biden (70% by July 4), and Mayor Demings (no masks indoors or outdoors when at 70%, and who coordinated this with park operators), I think corporate Disney is working towards ending its mask requirement by July 4, which is less than 2 months away.

That makes a lot of sense. Lines up well with resorts reopening and the college program coming back. Disney would love to capitalize on the July 4th holiday week.

I think the whole country will look a whole lot different by Juiy and remember that Disney‘s core domestic demographic for WDW comes from several large NE states who all have high vaccination rates and are all removing most Covid restrictions in May and will likely be taking a hard look at masks soon after. If Biden makes dropping masks at a 70% vaccination rate a firm recommendation the blue state governors will likely fall in line and most of the red state governors are already relaxing at even lower vaccination rates. PA has already set the same 70% target as Orange County for losing masks and I wouldn’t be surprised if the other NE states follow. Once the majority of the population centers of the country relax their restrictions it’s going to be very likely large corporations relax their requirements as well. Definitely if the CDC recommends it at the national level.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
That makes a lot of sense. Lines up well with resorts reopening and the college program coming back. Disney would love to capitalize on the July 4th holiday week.

I think the whole country will look a whole lot different by Juiy and remember that Disney‘s core domestic demographic for WDW comes from several large NE states who all have high vaccination rates and are all removing most Covid restrictions in May and will likely be taking a hard look at masks soon after. If Biden makes dropping masks at a 70% vaccination rate a firm recommendation the blue state governors will likely fall in line and most of the red state governors are already relaxing at even lower vaccination rates. PA has already set the same 70% target as Orange County for losing masks and I wouldn’t be surprised if the other NE states follow. Once the majority of the population centers of the country relax their restrictions it’s going to be very likely large corporations relax their requirements as well. Definitely if the CDC recommends it at the national level.
So NJ and NY (NYC) will drop masks to be removed for good soon?

Incomudro

It seems pretty simple and standard to me: your rights stop at my nose. Ergo, your "right" to not wear a mask upon entering the public square (indoors) is trumped by the rest of the folks' right to life (either directly, person to person, or societally, by spreading and lengthening the pandemic.)
You can wear an n95 the rest of your life.

lazyboy97o

Apparently not without upsetting some. People are completely triggered and highly agitated that Joe Biden still wears a mask in public. I wonder if we will see executive orders banning masks in public soon after the mandates are all dropped.
Hopefully. Can’t have freedom with privacy! We need more constant surveillance powered by facial recognition!

jlhwdw

I was at Kings Island yesterday. No mask mandate outdoors, and I'd say 90% of guests did not wear them. Encouraged on rides. Maybe one person in a coaster train. Social distancing markers still in ride queues. No one followed them. It felt 95% like business is usual.

I'm fully vaccinated and felt comfortable with this.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I was at Kings Island yesterday. No mask mandate outdoors, and I'd say 90% of guests did not wear them. Encouraged on rides. Maybe one person in a coaster train. Social distancing markers still in ride queues. No one followed them. It felt 95% like business is usual.

I'm fully vaccinated and felt comfortable with this.
I have a season pass for Cedar Point and KI and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I’m also fully vaccinated but I was hoping to ease into normal following a drop in cases. My brother works at Cedar Point and is fine with the rules. But I also have OCD and was a germaphobe before COvID so I’m a bad person to give an opinion 😂 I am very happy going to Disney though, gone 3 times this year.

jlhwdw

I look at it this way. There is nothing at all stopping anyone from choosing to continue to mask up for their entire day in the park. They were still requiring masks in any indoor location, including restaurants, shops and indoor rides. CDC guidelines state masks are not necessary outdoors. I have been fully vaccinated now since April 9, which means my 2 weeks were up on April 23.

Nobody is forcing anybody to go spend a day at Kings Island. If you aren't comfortable with it, it's not an essential service and you don't have to go. But things like sanitizing seats every 30 minutes and spacing out in every other row were nothing more than hygiene theater, and I'm glad Cedar Fair got rid of it. Had I not been vaccinated, it was admittedly quite crowded yesterday and the maskless crowds in lines would have had me masked up and/or not comfortable to be there. But I trust the science that states it's virtually impossible for me to catch or transmit COVID-19 at this stage of my vaccination. That's a risk I am willing to take. And damn did it feel good to feel the cold Ohio air on rides and congregate with a group of fully vaccinated friends and enjoy the day without worrying about masks or distancing. It took me all of one minute to have it feel normal again.

ImperfectPixie

I have a season pass for Cedar Point and KI and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I’m also fully vaccinated but I was hoping to ease into normal following a drop in cases. My brother works at Cedar Point and is fine with the rules. But I also have OCD and was a germaphobe before COvID so I’m a bad person to give an opinion 😂 I am very happy going to Disney though, gone 3 times this year.
I'd be curious how many people have become germaphobe's because of the pandemic.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I look at it this way. There is nothing at all stopping anyone from choosing to continue to mask up for their entire day in the park. They were still requiring masks in any indoor location, including restaurants, shops and indoor rides. CDC guidelines state masks are not necessary outdoors. I have been fully vaccinated now since April 9, which means my 2 weeks were up on April 23.

Nobody is forcing anybody to go spend a day at Kings Island. If you aren't comfortable with it, it's not an essential service and you don't have to go. But things like sanitizing seats every 30 minutes and spacing out in every other row were nothing more than hygiene theater, and I'm glad Cedar Fair got rid of it. Had I not been vaccinated, it was admittedly quite crowded yesterday and the maskless crowds in lines would have had me masked up and/or not comfortable to be there. But I trust the science that states it's virtually impossible for me to catch or transmit COVID-19 at this stage of my vaccination. That's a risk I am willing to take. And damn did it feel good to feel the cold Ohio air on rides and congregate with a group of fully vaccinated friends and enjoy the day without worrying about masks or distancing. It took me all of one minute to have it feel normal again.
I was at the Cleveland Zoo yesterday and it was optional there, I’d say it was 50/50 split but I totally get what you mean wanting to feel more normal again. Like I said, I know that I’m a bad person to ask because Of my personal issues. I’m slowly working toward being normal again and have been able to hang out with friends and family which has been amazing!

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I'd be curious how many people have become germaphobe's because of the pandemic.
I can name a few friends of mine including my husband. I’ve always been someone who would give dirty looks at people who came to work sick and would shut my office door. I used to Clorox my desk every day and had bloody hands from over washing. Then 2020 came and I became a literal hermit 😂 Therapy has been good for me. I am actually handling things better than some of my friends now. Finally dipping my toe into society again.

jlhwdw

I fully understand I am an outlier in the sense that I was able to "turn off" the switch in my brain yesterday and feel totally fine in a giant crowd that was predominately maskless. Many can't do that and I fully get it. I'm fully supportive of anyone that wants to wear a mask indefinitely to be able to do it. And if for whatever reason I wasn't fully vaccinated, you can bet I'd have been masked all day and likely left mid afternoon when crowds prohibited distancing out on the midways.

I'm pro vaccine and pro science and I trust both. Which is why I am comfortable being back to normal in my life. We're not there yet. But sometime this summer it will be time to pull of the band aid and let the chips fall as they will. Again, we're not there yet. But we are close. At some point it's personal responsibility.

ImperfectPixie

I can name a few friends of mine including my husband. I’ve always been someone who would give dirty looks at people who came to work sick and would shut my office door. I used to Clorox my desk every day and had bloody hands from over washing. Then 2020 came and I became a literal hermit 😂 Therapy has been good for me. I am actually handling things better than some of my friends now. Finally dipping my toe into society again.
I know I'm much more aware of them.

My youngest has taken hand-washing to a not-great level...he's had chapped hands off and on for the last year. I think I've finally got some stuff that will protect them better.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I know I'm much more aware of them.

My youngest has taken hand-washing to a not-great level...he's had chapped hands off and on for the last year. I think I've finally got some stuff that will protect them better.
I can feel his hand pain. OKeefs is great for me, but lately I haven’t needed it much fortunately :) Hopefully as the humidity and weather improves the chapping will go away.

ImperfectPixie

I can feel his hand pain. OKeefs is great for me, but lately I haven’t needed it much fortunately :) Hopefully as the humidity and weather improves the chapping will go away.
Yup! I got Avon Silicone Glove...I used to use it when I was painting with oil-based paint because they protect your skin so much the paint would just wash off with soap and water at the end of the day. Should do the trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom