Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm trying to understand the uneven application of privacy laws in Florida. We will hear about a small bar called out by name for having an outbreak but nothing has been reported about issues at Universal Studios. That would be hard to cover up anyway but no mention of outbreaks there. It would be a shame to take any rise in numbers as evidence that cautious businesses need to stop operating. It makes no sense and would be baseless unless they can demonstrate a risk there.
I don’t think privacy laws really apply to businesses only people. The government won’t announce the names of individual people Infected. They may let people know (when they can) if they were at a location that is the source of an outbreak that they should be tested. All of the stories we see on bars are driven by individuals either talking to the media directly or posting on social media. It’s not coming from the government.

There were some social media posts referring to workers at Universal testing positive but it would be hard to imagine with the number of cases in FL, specifically in the younger demographic that a lot of the park worker would be in, that some aren’t sick.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

DisneyCane

I'm trying to understand the uneven application of privacy laws in Florida. We will hear about a small bar called out by name for having an outbreak but nothing has been reported about issues at Universal Studios. That would be hard to cover up anyway but no mention of outbreaks there. It would be a shame to take any rise in numbers as evidence that cautious businesses need to stop operating. It makes no sense and would be baseless unless they can demonstrate a risk there.
Businesses don't have a right to privacy. The reason for calling out the specific bars is either:

1) to inform the public that if you were there you should get tested; or
2) because the bar was violating guidelines and they want people to know the owner's are being irresponsible

mickeymiss

Businesses don't have a right to privacy. The reason for calling out the specific bars is either:

1) to inform the public that if you were there you should get tested; or
2) because the bar was violating guidelines and they want people to know the owner's are being irresponsible

Does this mean Universal would be obligated to report an outbreak then? Disney Land reports about one case of measles despite high vaccine rates.

Rider

Florida reported 10,109 new coronavirus cases Thursday, a record, for a total of 169,106, and 67 new fatalities to bring the death toll to 3,617.

Central Florida now has 25,418 cases, up 1,691 from a day earlier. There are 584 new cases in Orange for a total of 11,458, 279 in Polk for 4,327, 155 in Seminole for 2,837, 153 in Volusia for 2,372, 185 in Osceola for 2,349, 218 in Brevard for 2,180, 98 in Lake for 1,508, and 19 in Sumter for 387.

Heppenheimer

Does this mean Universal would be obligated to report an outbreak then? Disney Land reports about one case of measles despite high vaccine rates.
I am not familiar with Florida law, but do businesses have any obligation to report anything, since they are not the ones actually doing the testing and tracing? But I don't think there's any reason why a public health authority couldn't announce that they had traced positive cases back to a specific business, as long as they don't publicly name the people involved. As noted, medical privacy laws deal with who has rightful access to personal health information, not preventing bad publicity for a business.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It might work the other way around. If the county department of health thats doing the contact tracing sees multiple cases of workers at Universal getting sick they may reach out to them to let them know others should be tested. I don’t think Universal would report anything directly. The workers would as they test positive. For guests getting sick that’s probably not traced because it’s impossible. Just like they don’t try to trace everyone who was at a beach or a state park with an infected person if someone reports to the dept of health that they visited Universal theres not much they can do.

mickeymiss

I am not familiar with Florida law, but do businesses have any obligation to report anything, since they are not the ones actually doing the testing and tracing? But I don't think there's any reason why a public health authority couldn't announce that they had traced positive cases back to a specific business, as long as they don't publicly name the people involved. As noted, medical privacy laws deal with who has rightful access to personal health information, not preventing bad publicity for a business.

Right... so no news is good news for Universal then? I really want any further decisions to be based on evidence. If Universal is doing well enough that cases aren't being reported by the media and operations haven't been disrupted, that's all good news for Disney. Focus should be on identifying hot spots and modifying safety rules wherever they were not in place or abused.

Lilofan

If the department of health traces enough cases back to either resort, I doubt anyone will need to blow a whistle. They'll probably make the announcement themselves.
Not if the powerful Disney PR machine gets involved first. Using the Disney magic the info coming out to the public will be carefully worded. If there are whistleblowers, it may be a challenging time for them since staff generally are not allowed to talk to the media.

Rider

There were some social media posts referring to workers at Universal testing positive but it would be hard to imagine with the number of cases in FL, specifically in the younger demographic that a lot of the park worker would be in, that some aren’t sick.

Speaking of that younger demographic...

:banghead:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Right... so no news is good news for Universal then? I really want any further decisions to be based on evidence. If Universal is doing well enough that cases aren't being reported by the media and operations haven't been disrupted, that's all good news for Disney. Focus should be on identifying hot spots and modifying safety rules wherever they were not in place or abused.
So far so good for Universal. They will be into their 7th week of re-opening before the first guest steps foot in a Disney park. Since Disney isn’t open yet I’m not sure they get credit in the court of public opinion even though some CMs are back to work preparing and the DVC resorts are open. I still think the clock officially starts on day 1 of opening.

Lilofan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom