Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliceismad

Is this Indian variant something that naturally occurres?
By "Indian variant," you mean the Delta variant? Yes.

I totally agree! While the shot is free, we have not made it easy or equal for all. Many low income and rural people do not have it easy to get. Most I feel like I can do is offer rides and childcare. Employers should help by giving appropriate time off and hosting clinics when possible. We need more mobile clinics for those without reliable transportation. Our government could give grants so to speak to offset work issues and childcare
Yes!

Uber/Lyft give free rides for vaccines. The YMCA and KinderCare are offering free drop-in childcare for vaccine appointments. But again, those resources only serve some of the population. Steps are being made, but it's not an easy problem to solve.

Willmark

The reality is that didn’t matter.
Sure it does, you may disagree but it matters.
even if Lab born...what good would sending an army tank division in do?
who said anything about that? Pointing out who is responsible is something that deserves to be known.

that is ultimately pointless. They may have had a lab incident...
Indeed they may have, yet those of us who were suspicious of this were told we were the kooks for being suspicious of a government that lied during SARS previously.

but guess what other countries could have that happen?
But which country did it happen in?

But origin doesn’t cover the “herd immunity...I want my damn fireworks” stance that was very thinly veiled stuff.
I’ll take your word for it here, at the time I was mixing it up in the defunct political forum.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unfortunately, with our local governments having more of a say than the Feds, people who don't have the first hand experience Boris Johnson has with the virus, I don't expect many of the places with larger outbreaks will put in controls, even when they should. People will just end up sick, some will end up with devastating consequences that may be death, hospitalization and long COVID. And since all of this ends up piggy backing, those that do end up with long COVID will likely face more difficulties getting the care and services they need than elsewhere (because those places already have less than elsewhere, and then throw in more need/demand). The time delay between now and when the uglier consequences are likely to arrive, will also make it harder for places to restrict anything. People have moved on, the virus still doesn't care.
Aside from the health impacts there are certainly some medium to long term economic impacts from areas having more covid infections as well. Health insurance rates could be higher (they are mostly set at a state level) and certain businesses could be slower to recover if part of the population sits out during spikes. There is historic precedent for economic recovery after a pandemic favoring areas with less infection. This will likely be shouted down by someone quoting cases in FL vs CA in Jan or unemployment rates but the reality is there are some unfortunate additional impacts to doing this “the hard way” and that’s not even counting the unnecessary death and long term health issues people will suffer from.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Royal Caribbean International has postponed the inaugural sailing of its Odyssey of the Seas cruise ship “out of an abundance of caution” after eight crew members tested positive for COVID-19, the company’s CEO said.

Odyssey of the Seas was set to sail from Fort Lauderdale on July 3 and make stops in the Caribbean. Its sailing is now postponed until July 31. A simulation cruise, originally scheduled for late June, will also be rescheduled.

Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Michael Bayley announced the changes late Tuesday in a statement posted on Facebook.

“During routine testing, eight crew members received a positive test result for COVID-19. All 1,400 crew onboard Odyssey of the Seas were vaccinated on June 4th and will be considered fully vaccinated on June 18. The positive cases were identified after the vaccination was given and before they were fully effective,” Bayley said.

Of the eight crew members who tested positive, six are asymptomatic, he said. Two have mild symptoms. They are all quarantined and are being monitored by the cruise line’s medical team.

“To protect the remaining crew and prevent any further cases, we will have all crew quarantined for 14 days and continue with our routine testing ... While disappointing, this is the right decision for the health and well-being of our crew and guests,” Bayley said."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure it does, you may disagree but it matters.

who said anything about that? Pointing out who is responsible is something that deserves to be known.

Indeed they may have, yet those of us who were suspicious of this were told we were the kooks for being suspicious of a government that lied during SARS previously.

But which country did it happen in?

I’ll take your word for it here, at the time I was mixing it up in the defunct political forum.

I actually don’t necessarily disagree...I’d always rather know...

but half of our public (it’s actually more like 43% and dwindling...that’s the problem)...has gone full in for “hate $&8!ing”....

it’s nothing but a steady diet of who to blame and who to go after. That’s all a joke to cover the disparity in economics (crap aside)...

...but I might suggest a certain country isn’t in the position to handle it.

why? Evidence

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
"Royal Caribbean International has postponed the inaugural sailing of its Odyssey of the Seas cruise ship “out of an abundance of caution” after eight crew members tested positive for COVID-19, the company’s CEO said.

Odyssey of the Seas was set to sail from Fort Lauderdale on July 3 and make stops in the Caribbean. Its sailing is now postponed until July 31. A simulation cruise, originally scheduled for late June, will also be rescheduled.

Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Michael Bayley announced the changes late Tuesday in a statement posted on Facebook.

“During routine testing, eight crew members received a positive test result for COVID-19. All 1,400 crew onboard Odyssey of the Seas were vaccinated on June 4th and will be considered fully vaccinated on June 18. The positive cases were identified after the vaccination was given and before they were fully effective,” Bayley said.

Of the eight crew members who tested positive, six are asymptomatic, he said. Two have mild symptoms. They are all quarantined and are being monitored by the cruise line’s medical team.

“To protect the remaining crew and prevent any further cases, we will have all crew quarantined for 14 days and continue with our routine testing ... While disappointing, this is the right decision for the health and well-being of our crew and guests,” Bayley said."

Color me surprised. 🚢

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's the current vaccination status for Orange County via Mayor Demings -

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 4.39.04 PM.png

The current 14-Day rolling percent positivity is 3.7%. Demings also notes that the true percent of residents with 1-dose of the vaccine is 7-8 points higher due to veteran vaccination.

yonafunu

There are no real National covid mandates or restrictions. They are all state based. States with lower vaccination rates could see more substantial outbreaks going forward but the states with the lowest vaccination rates generally had little or no statewide Covid mitigations to begin with so it’s unlikely they start that now.

Lowest states by percent of adults with 1 shot:
  1. MS 45.1%
  2. AL 46.9%
  3. LA 47.2%
  4. WY 48.4%
  5. TN 50.4%
  6. AR 51.3%
  7. ID 51.6%
  8. GA 52.2%
  9. SC 52.4%
  10. MO 54.0%
These states have lower vaccine rates, but it’s still much better than where we were in Dec/Jan for the last major wave. There will be regional or local outbreaks but I don‘t see nationwide restrictions reimplemented. I also don’t think states with high vaccination rates will implement new restrictions if cases spike in MS or AL.

The Indian variant is more contagious but so far all signs point towards the current vaccines still being effective against it. It will likely spread through the unvaccinated population especially in areas where that group is substantially larger.
Take the asumption that covid transmission is R=3 (much likely 4.5 with delta variant). If you have 50% of people fully vaccinated, then the transmission lowers by 50%. The R metric becomes 1.5 (or 2.25 with delta). So you will have a nationwide epidemy again (because R>1)
The wave will not be stronger as the previous ones, but you will have a new wave. This is why we NEED to have at least 75% fully vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Take the asumption that covid transmission is R=3 (much likely 4.5 with delta variant). If you have 50% of people fully vaccinated, then the transmission lowers by 50%. The R metric becomes 1.5 (or 2.25 with delta). So you will have a nationwide epidemy again (because R>1)
The wave will not be stronger as the previous ones, but you will have a new wave. This is why we NEED to have at least 75% fully vaccinated.
The vaccine rate isn’t constant nationwide. In places where the vaccine rate is lower I don’t disagree there will be an impact. In other places it won’t be a big deal.

I don’t know how many people we need to have fully vaccinated to be safe. Israel is at 57% of their total population fully vaccinated and their 7 day daily average is down to 14 cases a day (the US equivalent of around 500 cases a day). There’s no reason to believe we have to have 75% of the population fully vaccinated.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The vaccine rate isn’t constant nationwide. In places where the vaccine rate is lower I don’t disagree there will be an impact. In other places it won’t be a big deal.

I don’t know how many people we need to have fully vaccinated to be safe. Israel is at 57% of their total population fully vaccinated and their 7 day daily average is down to 14 cases a day (the US equivalent of around 500 cases a day). There’s no reason to believe we have to have 75% of the population fully vaccinated.
No reason to let fools off the hook from doing something free and useful either

DonniePeverley

You are looking at the present. At the moment everything in the USA looks great. However, it's also prudent to keep an eye on the future and look for patterns. At the moment the Delta India variant is still in low numbers in the USA, but it's predicted to become the dominant strain.

The US being the huge world hub it is has it's borders open at the moment (closed to Europe and some other countries) - and will eventually have to open up even more. It's this more new transmissible variant that you have to worry about. Israel's borders are closed, so they have not had the indian variant.

Go look up the UK, where the Indian variant has now become the dominant strain - and see how cases have gone back up, and lockdown extended despite a huge vaccination programme.

James J

In the Parks
No
You are looking at the present. At the moment everything in the USA looks great. However, it's also prudent to keep an eye on the future and look for patterns. At the moment the Delta India variant is still in low numbers in the USA, but it's predicted to become the dominant strain.

The US being the huge world hub it is has it's borders open at the moment (closed to Europe and some other countries) - and will eventually have to open up even more. It's this more new transmissible variant that you have to worry about. Israel's borders are closed, so they have not had the indian variant.

Go look up the UK, where the Indian variant has now become the dominant strain - and see how cases have gone back up, and lockdown extended despite a huge vaccination programme.
We're not necessarily locked down anymore - that ended back in April. They've just put a stop on the rest of the restrictions being lifted, with them now aiming for that to happen 19th July rather than 21st June.

The restrictions that are yet to be lifted are things like opening of nightclubs, increased capacity of sporting and music events, and the end of most if not all social distancing measures.

The extra 4 weeks is to try and get as many younger people to have their first vaccinations as they can. This week started with those aged 23 and over able to get them and it'll be available to all over 18's by Friday. With the Delta variant, more cases seem to be in the youth rather than the elderly this time around - hence the aim to jab as many youngsters as possible by mid-July.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom