• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion (Now with optimism!)

Jrb1979

It’s coming, it’s just taking longer than we want. Don’t listen to the doom and gloom crowd wishing for failure. Some people honestly just enjoy the fight too much and the closer we get to the end the more bitter and hostile they become. It’s a thrill to me to see these vaccines working and to see the numbers decline and to see us continue a return to normal. We will reach 70% of adults vaccinated (we already have in 14 states). Some ststes will never get there but there’s not much we can do about that.
I'm not wishing for failure, I'm disappointed in the steep decline in vaccinations. I look at how well it's going here in Canada and that those under 40 have no issue getting vaccinated. We will probably hit 70% within a week or 2.

havoc315

Get a life. I’m glad it thrills you to ”prove me wrong”. It’s sad and pathetic that you are happy that vaccines slowed to a lower pace than I said they could just so you can prove me wrong on a Disney fan board. That’s really quite sad.

I’m NOT happy at all about it. I wanted to be wrong. You attacked me at the time, claiming I was being pessimistic and that the “worst case” scenario was reaching Israel’s immunity level by 6/11.

My point isn’t to say “told you so”… the reason is to look forward, learning from the past. Looking at how much vaccination has slowed already in the last month, and how that trend is likely to continue. And perhaps you shouldn’t attack me when I point out these declining trends.

The point is— we really should be taking more aggressive action to promote vaccination, such as vaccine passports. Sadly, that ship has likely sailed.

Wendy Pleakley

It’s coming, it’s just taking longer than we want. Don’t listen to the doom and gloom crowd wishing for failure. Some people honestly just enjoy the fight too much and the closer we get to the end the more bitter and hostile they become. It’s a thrill to me to see these vaccines working and to see the numbers decline and to see us continue a return to normal. We will reach 70% of adults vaccinated (we already have in 14 states). Some ststes will never get there but there’s not much we can do about that.

Who exactly is "wishing for failure"?

If there's bitterness it seems more likely to come because so many people are slow to get vaccinated, and it slows the return to normal for everyone.

The USA is falling on the vaccine "charts" despite having an enviable head start before just about everyone else.

Smooth

Although I'm not a doctor... You would never know it because of all the very super intelligent comments I have made over the past year. 😁

CosmicRays

ERuCkPbXYAAIMxj.jpg

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I certainly hope no “big surge.” And I don’t expect anything like last winter. But I do suspect we will see some smaller regional spikes. Maybe even some regional spikes over the next 1-2 months.
NJ and NY are most likely will be alright by rest of the year so I'm safe for now...:cool:

MaryJaneP

Is it advisable to put 20/20 hindsight into 2022? 1 year without vaccines and 1 year with vaccines? It may not help direct actions but may provide greater insight into what happened. Yay there are vaccines that free many from mask mandates. Hopefully continued mask-wearing will become a fringe requirement for those medically or otherwise still at risk,

Tom P.

I am confident that we have already vaccinated enough people that, combined with natural immunity, we are not going to see any large-scale surges again. And I think we will continue to see the vaccination rate tick upward, slowly but surely, over the summer months. And I expect to see at least one vaccine approved for the 2-11 age group by early Fall. So, yes, I believe very strongly that the most we will see going forward is minor spikes in specific areas and not major surges. Could I be completely wrong? Of course. But I feel confident in that right now.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I am confident that we have already vaccinated enough people that, combined with natural immunity, we are not going to see any large-scale surges again. And I think we will continue to see the vaccination rate tick upward, slowly but surely, over the summer months. And I expect to see at least one vaccine approved for the 2-11 age group by early Fall. So, yes, I believe very strongly that the most we will see going forward is minor spikes in specific areas and not major surges. Could I be completely wrong? Of course. But I feel confident in that right now.
I can't wait to take an airplane or the subway without having to wear a mask. But surely that ain't happening anytime soon. Only then will I feel entirely confident.

havoc315

Think it all depends how you define a "minor" spike vs "major surge."

I fully agree that it is extremely unlikely we see a return of winter 2020.

But surges like happening in the UK right now, are indeed possible. After being under 2,000 cases per day, they are back over 7,000. That would be like the US going back up to 30,000-40,000 per day. So whether you call that "minor" or "major" is just a matter of perspective. It is darn small compared to December 2020, but back to the same level we had in summer 2020.

I'm hoping we will avoid such surges. But if they can happen in the UK, they can happen here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom