Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

Yesterday, I was talking to my vaccine resistant brother-in-law about what it would take to get him vaccinated. He's 40 and works out, so he claims he has no risk of serious disease, so a vaccine isn't necessary.

Pressing him further, I came to understand one of the harder problems we will have to overcome. During the pandemic, he took no precautions and continued to congregate and socialize as normal, unmasked. He and almost everyone he knew got COVID, but all were mild or asymptomatic. As such, it has cemented the idea the minds of he and his social circle that COVID was never a risk but completely overblown, unless you are an 80-year old cancer patient. These are the people that will be hard to get onboard with the vaccine, because their life experiences run counter with the reality that so many others have faced regarding hospitalization and death.

I do not know how one reaches this type of a population, and I fear there a lot of them out there, especially among the young demographics.
Does he not care if he and his friends spread it to more vulnerable people?

BrianLo

I do agree with the second part of your post though - this does show the CDC's faith in the vaccines (finally).

I'm still going to be on a soapbox that the CDC still has a way to go on that front. The sheer amount of stupidity they've applied to cruise lines that want to sail with 100 percent vaccinated passenger/staff is not mediated by all best evidence.

Instead they are letting certain governors win the messaging on vaccination requirements as a way to return to normality.

m3000

No, they all think the whole thing is a joke. I pressed him on this point, and all I will say is that it made me want to weep for humanity. People just don't care about others

The 585k people who died of Covid in the US all caught it from someone else. I totally believe that's what he thinks, but it blows my mind that people don't realize that even if they're fine with catching Covid themselves, that also means they need to be fine with killing anyone else who catches it from them.

DC0703

The 585k people who died of Covid in the US all caught it from someone else. I totally believe that's what he thinks, but it blows my mind that people don't realize that even if they're fine with catching Covid themselves, that also means they need to be fine with killing anyone else who catches it from them.
The hard thing is that this is a person that I love and usually have a great relationship with. I'm struggling to process the conversation that I had with him and how to move forward. There were elements (that I won't repeat) that left me truly disturbed.

A lot of it is due to his politics and where he gets his information from, but at what point is that no longer an adequate excuse?

drizgirl

I'm still skeptical that any of those people will actually get vaccinated now. I think it was just a ploy to encourage the mask mandates to be dropped.

I do agree with the second part of your post though - this does show the CDC's faith in the vaccines (finally).

One thing that may help with the vaccine hesitant is when the FDA gives full approval of the Pfizer shot. Several people that I've talked to over the last few days cited that as the point when they will consider getting vaccinated (though, of course, I'm not holding my breath...). Hopefully that process moves along quickly.
But why would the CDC fall for a ploy?

corsairk09

Oh it sucked. I'm in Charlotte NC and we had it bad... if not the worse. Every gas station in 10 miles was bone dry on Tuesday night. All 4 of our cars had less than a 1/8th (STUPID!). We went out Tuesday night to hunt for gas and it was nerve racking. It was our fault for letting the cars get that low but we were stuck. Luckily I found some gas and got my truck up to a 3rd. We are driving to Disney in 10 days so my wife is totally going to have gas buddy up so she can monitor stations unless it gets better.

Pic from Tuesday night.
people went nuts over this. this is how you get people vaccinated. Tell them there’s gonna be a shortage of the vaccine. you’ll have millions lone up within hours.

ImperfectPixie

The hard thing is that this is a person that I love and usually have a great relationship with. I'm struggling to process the conversation that I had with him and how to move forward. There were elements (that I won't repeat) that left me truly disturbed.

A lot of it is due to his politics and where he gets his information from, but at what point is that no longer an adequate excuse?
I'm in the same spot with some people I care about. The seeds of doubt have definitely been planted by the media they read/watch. :(

correcaminos

Well, my wife is a Pharmacist and Friday was their busiest day. Not saying that will be the trend, but she said the amount of 12+ year olds was large but also many older people who said they just want this to be over.
We saw the same thing here. There was a clinic that started after FDA approval Tuesday. We saw friends as we waited and the one administering the shot, said they had roughly 95% of appointments after the announcement be 12-15 kids.
Who? A tiny number of vulnerable children under 12? As far as I can tell, every state was open to vulnerable people several weeks ago.
People who are not able to drive to get a shot, people who are unable to get the right time off of work to do it... I can think of many reasons why some have not done it. Most will be those who cannot travel easily or have obligations that get in the way. Imagine how hard it is for a single parent who cannot get time off with no support to go in to get it. There are struggles. I have 2 loved ones who just started. One had monoclonal treatments the other cancer treatments and had to wait.

As for real hesitancy due to anti-vax rhetoric, it makes me so upset the way some are. You'd think family would be proud of another who did a trial. I have a distant cousin I love dearly who has said enough insulting things to me directly that I am done and not seeking out their company. The things they have said repeatedly show me they are deep enough into Qanaon that it's not worth it. They are more distant cousins, but we were close emotionally. They happen to be from my white side of the family and it's apparent they only out up with us because we were related and we're different than those others they speak of.

Sad thing is this will divide families. I do know some who did vaccinate because mom or grandma told then to, so I remain hopeful. But still, my best friend's aunt was yelled at and subsequently not spoken to by her own daughter because she vaccinated. Families will hurt because of it.

Nickp1983

I'm in the same spot with some people I care about. The seeds of doubt have definitely been planted by the media they read/watch. :(
Well, when the media posts every little side effect in bold letters...

Claimed in September of last year that there was no way the vaccines would be hitting arms by the end of 2020....

And at the beginning on this, tell people not to get their hopes set on a vaccine until at least 2022 (at rhe earliest)

I can see how some people are drawn in by the Qanom .

I'm a media Hater in general. Even this entire gas shortage was amplified by them. Bad news gets clicks and crises get people tuning in all day.

ImperfectPixie

Well, when the media posts every little side effect in bold letters...

Claimed in September of last year that there was no way the vaccines would be hitting arms by the end of 2020....

And at the beginning on this, tell people not to get their hopes set on a vaccine until at least 2022 (at rhe earliest)

I can see how some people are drawn in by the Qanom ****.

I'm a media Hater in general. Even this entire gas shortage was amplified by them. Bad news gets clicks and crises get people tuning in all day.
It's FOX. Anyone I know who watches or reads FOX News has bought into the myriad of anti-vaccine rhetoric and other lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom