Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanfze55

California: 51.8% of the population has started
US Average: 46.2%
Mississippi: 32.2%

So not that much stay at home moms.
Mississippi might be the last state in the country I would want to live in, but let’s face it: Mississippians have access issues that most of California’s population centers simply don’t have.

DCBaker

Premium Member
They already announced Beach Club -- Cape May re-opening. No Yachtsman Steakhouse, no Beaches and Cream.
Of course, they could still announce those at any time. But apparently they are staffing up Cape May, and not those other 2 restaurants currently. They just don't have the staff for it.
I'm hoping a couple more Boardwalk Restaurants open up, but not holding my breath.

Just a note - Beaches and Cream is and has been open. It is just the to-go window that has been closed.

sullyinMT

Mississippi might be the last state in the country I would want to live in, but let’s face it: Mississippians have access issues that most of California’s population centers simply don’t have.
This is very true, but those people with access issues at some point are able to get to the grocery store with a pharmacy, or near some other outreach center that is providing vaccines. The rural problem is a real problem, and I’m not real sure how to fix it. We got behind the eight ball with messaging on the vaccines, and allowed a lot of bunk to be spread without countering the information.
It seems that on many levels, what we are running into is more than the typical anti-vax population, and need to find ways to remedy it sooner rather than later. Or, as others have stated, the Plan B of vaccine passports for medium to large gatherings and travel could be the norm this fall.

bryanfze55

This is very true, but those people with access issues at some point are able to get to the grocery store with a pharmacy, or near some other outreach center that is providing vaccines. The real problem is a real problem, and I’m not real sure how to fix it. We got behind the eight ball with messaging on the vaccines, and allowed a lot of bank to be spread without countering the information.
It seems that on many levels, what we are running into is more than the typical anti-vax population, and need to find ways to remedy it sooner rather than later. Or, as others have stated, the Plan B of vaccine passports for medium to large gatherings and travel could be the norm this fall.
Well one of the access issues I would mention (more of an intangible issue than a tangible issue) is that many people in rural America are brought up in a very socially conservative manner that emphasizes distrust in the government and other institutions from a young age. It’s a cultural thing, and it’s actually a multiracial / multiethnic phenomenon in rural areas. Mississippi has the largest black population per capita in the country, I believe. Vaccine rates are no better among that population than it is among white Mississippians. Ditto for Hispanics in that state, even though it’s a much smaller group. By many, this vaccine is seen as a governmental program rather than a safety initiative - so many people who wouldn’t reject the chicken pox vaccine for their child when their family physician recommends it - they’re suddenly lashing out.

Again, these folks are brought up in this culture. They may be nice, hardworking people - but they exist in that culture. Is that an issue with the individual themselves? Or is it an access issue? I’d argue the latter - just as much as a good education, good career, and life stability are an access issue for people who grow up in a culture of gangs and violence.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is very true, but those people with access issues at some point are able to get to the grocery store with a pharmacy, or near some other outreach center that is providing vaccines. The rural problem is a real problem, and I’m not real sure how to fix it. We got behind the eight ball with messaging on the vaccines, and allowed a lot of bunk to be spread without countering the information.
I think plan A vs plan B really depends on how many people we need to get vaccinated. So plan A may still work despite having those people as hold outs. If we get to 70-75% of adults vaccinated nationally that may be enough to crush the virus. It won’t be eradicated, but spread should be way down and manageable. We have seen breakthrough infections but remember a lot came Jan-Mar when community spread was really high most places. The protection from the vaccine combined with much lower community spread will mean anyone vaccinated is very safe.

Plan B could be needed but it’s looking less and less likely to me. Maybe I’m overly optimistic but I see the vaccine rollout still going (slower but not stop) and the cases are responding well.

CosmicRays

Distancing changing at Disney World?
joker.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you have statistics as to who is and who is not getting vaccinated then by all means share.

As I stated previously I’m guessing that the idea that it’s a “certain segment” not doing so probably coincides with which lens one views the US from.

Im also willing to bet that it’s not so neat of a nice little box that people would like it to be.
I’ll let you do the research...

...you’ll find that “hesitancy” links up near 1:1 with political leanings. So an electoral map may do the job also.

there are some exceptions. One is minority distrust...that’s grounded in history. Wisconsin seems to be a geographic anomaly...at least so far.

but the rest seems to line up.

sullyinMT

Well one of the access issues I would mention (more of an intangible issue than a tangible issue) is that many people in rural America are brought up in a very socially conservative manner that emphasizes distrust in the government and other institutions from a young age. It’s a cultural thing, and it’s actually a multiracial / multiethnic phenomenon in rural areas. Mississippi has the largest black population per capita in the country, I believe. Vaccine rates are no better among that population than it is among white Mississippians. Ditto for Hispanics in that state, even though it’s a much smaller group. By many, this vaccine is seen as a governmental program rather than a safety initiative - so many people who wouldn’t reject the chicken pox vaccine for their child when their family physician recommends it - they’re suddenly lashing out.
That I don’t disagree with in the least. As I’ve shared before, I was raised by an Appalachian family, and serve the people of Montana. So, a lot of the government mistrust I have seen and heard from a personal family level. That is why I was saying that we got behind the eight ball on the messaging front. Even among my extended family, I have seen conspiracies that make my head spin. The counter messaging has mostly been weak at best. And these are educated, otherwise vaccinated individuals. They even vaccinated their kids against the “old” viruses, so I really don’t understand how they got their head around this one.

correcaminos

Great news! We scheduled for Saturday at the Kroger ~0.5 miles from us.
Fantastic! One of these urgent cares is by where we go for groceries which is isn't far. My sibling scheduled theirs at Children's since so many were annoying to get through. Not sure Kroger is close to them.

No wait at all again for us. They're even accepting walk-ins (well...drive-ups).
Awesome!

I read that the CDC is supposed to give their stamp of approval somewhere around 3pm. Glad to have had a jump on this.

I saw 2 families in line that I knew at this one also doing the lunch shot lol

sullyinMT

I think plan A vs plan B really depends on how many people we need to get vaccinated. So plan A may still work despite having those people as hold outs. If we get to 70-75% of adults vaccinated nationally that may be enough to crush the virus. It won’t be eradicated, but spread should be way down and manageable. We have seen breakthrough infections but remember a lot came Jan-Mar when community spread was really high most places. The protection from the vaccine combined with much lower community spread will mean anyone vaccinated is very safe.

Plan B could be needed but it’s looking less and less likely to me. Maybe I’m overly optimistic but I see the vaccine rollout still going (slower but not stop) and the cases are responding well.
I wouldn’t be shocked to see a hybrid for a while. Places that effectively crush the virus won’t want outsiders carrying a new outbreak with them. I see the appeal of Broadway or certain Vegas shows and venues, for example, requiring vaccine proof for a while after the national picture improves. Whether they do or not, I tend to agree with you they probably won’t bother with cost and logistics unless locally mandated.

ImperfectPixie

Fantastic! One of these urgent cares is by where we go for groceries which is isn't far. My sibling scheduled theirs at Children's since so many were annoying to get through. Not sure Kroger is close to them.

Awesome!

I read that the CDC is supposed to give their stamp of approval somewhere around 3pm. Glad to have had a jump on this.
We may pull our oldest from school just so we can go to that location. They're really on the ball even if it's not very convenient for us. (A TON of pharmacies, etc. near us have started offering shots, but we love the drive-through.)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
OC Florida should drop masks outside this week. I think the others drop it first and Disney waits to see. Possible change around June timeframe.

I’m thinking they’ll go along with the mask drop in a surprising move of compliance...

two people are “undefeated”:
1. Father Time
2. Mother Nature

they know that a larger, happier, more Apple pay itchy customer base will show when they don’t have to wear masks for a lot of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom