• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion (Now with optimism!)

drizgirl

you aren’t being held hostage by “people”...you never have been and never will be in your life. You are experiencing temporary public health guidelines to stop something that felled more Americans than WW2 and Vietnam combined...

...but I hope those parades are back for you soon. 👍🏻
Do you ever make a post without a cutting insult? Did I mention parades? You'd get a lot more reasonable conversation without the nastiness.

I didn't comment at all about what has gone on up to this point. I'm talking about what happens when we hit a wall with vaccine demand (we aren't there yet). I'm quite patient with waiting until everyone has had a reasonable chance to get the vaccine. What I'm discussing is what happens after that point.

havoc315

The Mexican restaurant at EPCOT is up to $1,000 signing bonus. Supply meets demand when you up the price.

Yes, but not every restaurant and every position is going to offer such a huge sign-up bonus. Restaurants operate on slim margins. I suspect many restaurants will wait until the labor market normalizes, hopefully in the Fall.
I've heard that is the major hold-up with the opening of Space 220: Unless they paid extraordinary wages, they would never be able to staff up whole new restaurant.

Simple economics. The first wave of CP arrive June 14 so that helps with labor shortage.

My understanding, is that it's a very small group to start -- only those who had applications approved pre-Covid. Then they still need to be trained. And they don't really fill restaurant positions.
Every little bit helps -- But this won't make much of a dent in the restaurant labor shortage.
Disney DOES have a Culinary Program that staffs their kitchens, but they have NOT yet announced a re-start of that program.

Large people eating restaurants coming back family style instead of buffet. Still reduces staffing vs ordering from a menu.

There is no shortage of restaurant demand right now. Disney could open another 10 restaurants and fill every single seat for every single meal. Hopefully they will be able to increase their staffing for more restaurant capacity in the coming weeks.

But the fact is, they are always way way understaffed for their demand. When are you suggesting you think this will improve? Their summer season begins in 2 weeks... .think Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish, Sebastians, Columbia Harbor House, Casey's, Nine Dragons, Akershsus, Beaches and Cream, will all be open by the start of the summer season?
There is more than enough demand to fill all those restaurants right now.

Willmark

It’s not hard, it’s not complex, it’s elementary school level. However, a certain population seems incapable of being able to make this simple conclusion.
Who in your estimation is the “certain population” that seems incapable of reaching that conclusion?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, but not every restaurant and every position is going to offer such a huge sign-up bonus. Restaurants operate on slim margins. I suspect many restaurants will wait until the labor market normalizes, hopefully in the Fall.
I've heard that is the major hold-up with the opening of Space 220: Unless they paid extraordinary wages, they would never be able to staff up whole new restaurant.

My understanding, is that it's a very small group to start -- only those who had applications approved pre-Covid. Then they still need to be trained. And they don't really fill restaurant positions.
Every little bit helps -- But this won't make much of a dent in the restaurant labor shortage.
Disney DOES have a Culinary Program that staffs their kitchens, but they have NOT yet announced a re-start of that program.

There is no shortage of restaurant demand right now. Disney could open another 10 restaurants and fill every single seat for every single meal. Hopefully they will be able to increase their staffing for more restaurant capacity in the coming weeks.

But the fact is, they are always way way understaffed for their demand. When are you suggesting you think this will improve? Their summer season begins in 2 weeks... .think Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish, Sebastians, Columbia Harbor House, Casey's, Nine Dragons, Akershsus, Beaches and Cream, will all be open by the start of the summer season?
There is more than enough demand to fill all those restaurants right now.
Beach club resort opens Memorial Day weekend and Boardwalk first week of July so I imagine more dining comes back. Same with Poly later in July.

For the CP I hadn’t heard it was very small. They offered first priority to anyone whose program was cut short or they never got started but said they were opening to new applicants as well. Almost limitless college students looking for work.

sullyinMT

The Mexican restaurant at EPCOT is up to $1,000 signing bonus. Supply meets demand when you up the price. Simple economics. The first wave of CP arrive June 14 so that helps with labor shortage. Large people eating restaurants coming back family style instead of buffet. Still reduces staffing vs ordering from a menu.
I’d also imagine that family style plus the modified character experience makes for a faster per table turnover time. That should also help with capacity while still maintaining some distance between tables. At least, that’s my understanding.

Heppenheimer

Plywood is plentiful, probably because it's close to $70 a sheet.
If I'm not mistaken, the reason is because the demand for paper is much lower (far less need for office printing these days), so at least some of the wood shavings that would normally go to a paper mill can be diverted to plywood.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’d also imagine that family style plus the modified character experience makes for a faster per table turnover time. That should also help with capacity while still maintaining some distance between tables. At least, that’s my understanding.
Yep and they are huge people eating locations. With family style you don’t need a server to take orders and then wait for kitchen to cook. They just blast out plates of food so it’s quick and yes, without characters people are less likely to stick around longer than needed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do you ever make a post without a cutting insult? Did I mention parades? You'd get a lot more reasonable conversation without the nastiness.

I didn't comment at all about what has gone on up to this point. I'm talking about what happens when we hit a wall with vaccine demand (we aren't there yet). I'm quite patient with waiting until everyone has had a reasonable chance to get the vaccine. What I'm discussing is what happens after that point.

you’d probably get less nastiness if you didn’t jump on posts and take them in a completely wrong direction.

it’s been a rough 24 hours on that front

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom