Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

I'll let you do the self reflection.

The poster was wishing for wave. Waves are made up of..... sick people.
If it is a wave of sickness from people choosing to actively deny a vaccine, I stand by my statement. Call it a crest or a localized outbreak. My point is if people see their anti-vax or vax-hesitant friend/co-worker whatever confined to couch for a week, they might be more willing to roll their eyes and roll up their sleeve. Especially in the context of jamming bars full again in an area of <35% vaccine uptake.

Maybe I could have been more eloquent. No, I’m not wishing death on people. Just a little jump scare to the people too lazy or obstinate to accept the reality of the virus and how easy it is to get a shot. To the “tough guy” at the bar, it might be the only thing that works.

havoc315

I don't think this is an issue of intelligence. This is an issue of pride and cultural sides. I remember once I had a family member tell me that I needed a jacket when we were going to Epcot. This family member insults me frequently. I knew it was cold but screw them, so I didn't take the jacket.

I agree, that we see this happening. Though it's pretty sad that there would be people who would skip a vaccine, just as a way to "stick it" to the elites.

AEfx

That and poorer education. It’s hard to filter through the noise and know who to trust if you haven’t been taught critical thinking skills

While you are punching down like that, make sure you punch up, too. Judging from my Facebook feed, many of those who would be considered highly educated have also lost many of their critical thinking skills, and refuse to look at topics from anything other than a highly politicized view, no matter what the subject. It makes me question which is worse - not being taught those skills to begin with, or having those skills and losing them because they get so wrapped up in self-righteous dogma where nuance goes to die.

Chomama

While you are punching down like that, make sure you punch up, too. Judging from my Facebook feed, many of those who would be considered highly educated have also lost many of their critical thinking skills, and refuse to look at topics from anything other than a highly politicized view, no matter what the subject. It makes me question which is worse - not being taught those skills to begin with, or having those skills and losing them because they get so wrapped up in self-righteous dogma where nuance goes to die.
Not denying that. We were discussing vaccine hesitancy in specific areas. Anecdotally sharing what is happening on the ground here in Birmingham, AL. - specifically in regards to those refusing the vaccine here

DisneyDebRob

Are we seriously doing the Trump bleach thing again? Anyone who has read this thread for even a day last year knows my feelings on the previous administration, but its time for all of us to move on. The vaccines are working, we are still making progress on vaccinations and are on pace to hit the targets. It’s time to focus on the future. The roaring twenties are about to kick off 👍🥳🎉🎊💥
Let’s hope without the prohibition part.😎

CosmicRays

I think its unfair to categorize southerners in the way they have been. I know plenty of people not from the south who make decisions which don't make any sense. I think people just may have different hangups depending on region.

lazyboy97o

Same. That and poorer education. It’s hard to filter through the noise and know who to trust if you haven’t been taught critical thinking skills
It’s not even “poorer” education. This pandemic has revealed how much even our “good” education systems have been failing us before remote learning. Very educated people buying into bunk because they aren’t familiar enough with basic concepts so that red flags are raised when they encounter dubious information.
And the bubonic plague isn't directly transmissible between humans anyway, unless it gets into the lungs or stool. Unlike COVID, which also has a much longer pre-symptomatic stage.
I’m sure somebody is refusing antibiotics because the doctors have flipped flopped. Now it’s “bacteria” and not the bad air. What’s next?

Kevin_W

Just putting this here for those that like the NY Times.

It's a good article. I don't think the once sterling reputation of the CDC will recover any time soon. I think many had hoped that a new leader with the new administration would make dramatic changes, but we have not seen a lot of evidence of that. They still have the appearance of a slow-to-respond bureaucracy with confusing messaging.

Heppenheimer

Odd that in a thread discussing vaccines and vaccine hesitancy, I keep seeing pop-up ads for Botox featuring... Gwyneth Paltrow?! I have no idea if Goop has a corporate philosophy regarding injectable pharmaceuticals (I guess based on this ad they're OK if they make you look attractive?), but it would be nice if she made the same outreach attempt to her fans regarding the COVID vaccines. I have no idea if vaccine hesitancy or antivax sentiments are common in that demographic, but I'm guessing the answer is... yes.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Solidly reasonable post, but I don't think the statistics back the premise that tough-guy Americanism was a game changer here. Deaths per capita are actually higher in Belgium, Brazil, Italy, and several other countries than they are in the USA.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
I am friends with someone from Sao Paolo Brazil. Brazilians that I know are brazen in their ability to follow rules. Ever see the rowdiness of the Brazilian tour groups in the resorts and parks?

SamusAranX

We'll have to agree to disagree.

You have a much rosier view of America than I do.
In some ways he is right. For starters, India in many areas is like China, Japan, NYC and so on. They live on top of each other. Add in larger family households, many unclean and unsanitary infrastructures, a weaker health care system and so on. I just couldn't see it being that horrific here.

Nubs70

Just putting this here for those that like the NY Times.

Just to think of the number of small businesses that were put out of business by this number along with those companies that were fined for outdoor mask compliance.

lazyboy97o

Odd that in a thread discussing vaccines and vaccine hesitancy, I keep seeing pop-up ads for Botox featuring... Gwyneth Paltrow?! I have no idea idea if Goop has a corporate philosophy regarding injectable pharmaceuticals (I guess based on this ad they're OK if they make you look attractive?), but it would be nice if she made the same outreach attempt to her fans regarding the COVID vaccines. I have no idea if vaccine hesitancy or antivax sentiments are common in that demographic, but I'm guessing the answer is... yes.
The ad trackers are on point today. That ad was right under this post for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom