Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"The White House will announce a new partnership with ride-sharing companies Uber Technologies Inc. and Lyft Inc. to make all rides to and from vaccination sites free until July 4, according to administration officials.

White House Covid-19 coordinator Jeff Zients will detail the new steps in a Tuesday call with governors as part of the Biden administration’s effort to meet a target of 70% of the U.S. adult population getting at least one vaccine dose by July 4. President Biden is also meeting virtually with a group of governors Tuesday afternoon to discuss vaccination efforts.

The administration will provide data on about 80,000 vaccination sites to Lyft and Uber as part of the transportation partnership, a senior administration official said.

While the companies were already providing free or discounted rides in some circumstances, the rides will now be free to anyone in the U.S. who is going to a vaccination site to get the shot, and Lyft and Uber will promote the rides to and from tens of thousands of vaccination sites through their apps. The feature will launch in the next two weeks and run until July 4, when Mr. Biden has aimed to have enough people vaccinated to allow for safer Independence Day gatherings."

Good idea. Anything to make the vaccines even more convenient. Free vaccine and now free ride the final step is to throw in a free cupcake 🥳

lazyboy97o

This isn’t the bubonic plague.
I wish it were plague. We have know, effective treatments for plague.
I think there is a difference between anti-vax and vaccine hesitancy, especially when it comes to this vaccine. Those who are anti-vax have attached themselves to some pretty insane conspiracy theories. Those who are hesitant are more so concerned about side effects, the speed of the development, etc. So I think it's important to understand the differences from those who haven't received them and aren't rushing out to get them.
People start somewhere and that somewhere is exactly those sort of questions about side effects, long term effects, how it was developed, scheduling, etc. They don’t just jump full into the craziest stuff.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are we seriously doing the Trump bleach thing again? Anyone who has read this thread for even a day last year knows my feelings on the previous administration, but its time for all of us to move on. The vaccines are working, we are still making progress on vaccinations and are on pace to hit the targets. It’s time to focus on the future. The roaring twenties are about to kick off 👍🥳🎉🎊💥

Bill in Atlanta

no...and you should do some self reflection on this one. That’s not what he/she was saying at all and you know it.

this might be “straw man of the year”

"Somewhat morbidly, I actually hope a small but real wave materializes in my area at some point."

I don't know Walter, this one is hard to defend. It's an "ends justify the means" philosophy which can get very dangerous very quickly...

calvin_ethics.jpg

Dranth

Yup.... just a bunch of dumb-dumb rednecks down here. :rolleyes: How our COVID positivity rate continues to match the super smart people up North and out West must be just luck.

Kudos to the North West. Zero new cases from places like Idaho and Kansas! Hope to see that continue.

Dumb Dumb Alabama only had 24 new cases.... but can't give them any credit. ;)
It's dumb because it could have been much better as most of the South East has some built in advantages that population centers elsewhere do not.

It is also dumb because they are going to have a much longer, slow burning tail for this thing as it will be one of the few population centers left for it to spread. It likely won't be out of control or some crazy spike but it is going to kill a LOT more people than it should have due to an unreasonably thick headed and stubborn view of the vaccination.

Jenny72

The problem here is that the solution to this crisis comes from people who have been vilified as part of the culture war: highly educated "elites." What could a strong, proud, non-"elite" man do in the meantime? Stay at home and stay out of the way. Your skills are not needed here. Ouch.

The previous administration mocked the elite, but here we have a crisis where people need the elites to come and save them. Awkward. Doesn't fit the narrative. If people could have done something against the virus that involved brute strength, home skills, or old-school toughness (like in a war), it wouldn't have ended up like this.

I don't think this is an issue of intelligence. This is an issue of pride and cultural sides. I remember once I had a family member tell me that I needed a jacket when we were going to Epcot. This family member insults me frequently. I knew it was cold but screw them, so I didn't take the jacket. Froze all night and was miserable. I'm a smart person (I think!) but sometimes emotion wins out. Sometimes I try to think, what would have gotten me to take the jacket? I think a kind person who I trusted could have talked me into it, especially if the other family member didn't even notice I took it. So that could be where we are here, too. For better or worse.

Bill in Atlanta

The problem here is that the solution to this crisis comes from people who have been vilified as part of the culture war: highly educated "elites." What could a strong, proud, non-"elite" man do in the meantime? Stay at home and stay out of the way. Your skills are not needed here. Ouch.

The previous administration mocked the elite, but here we have a crisis where people need the elites to come and save them. Awkward. Doesn't fit the narrative. If people could have done something against the virus that involved brute strength, home skills, or old-school toughness (like in a war), it wouldn't have ended up like this.

I don't think this is an issue of intelligence. This is an issue of pride and cultural sides. I remember once I had a family member tell me that I needed a jacket when we were going to Epcot. This family member insults me frequently. I knew it was cold but screw them, so I didn't take the jacket. Froze all night and was miserable. I'm a smart person (I think!) but sometimes emotion wins out. Sometimes I try to think, what would have gotten me to take the jacket? I think a kind person who I trusted could have talked me into it, especially if the other family member didn't even notice I took it. So that could be where we are here, too. For better or worse.
Solidly reasonable post, but I don't think the statistics back the premise that tough-guy Americanism was a game changer here. Deaths per capita are actually higher in Belgium, Brazil, Italy, and several other countries than they are in the USA.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll let you do the self reflection.

The poster was wishing for wave. Waves are made up of..... sick people.

you’re in the stadium, wrong section.

what they’re saying - in Montana apparently - is that they’ve embraced the “open up” regardless of the vaccine rollout. So - somewhat facetiously - saying some mild outbreak might be a “good thing”

because the “we gotta open” is politics...and the medicine is not. But it a rare convergence of fact and BS...you get one through science by doing the other.

he’s not coughing on people on the streets of Bute to start a scare outbreak. But they aren’t handling it right either.

chill.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For those still interested in WDW....EPCOT Forever music was testing overnight. Seems like we are inching closer to the return of nighttime shows and all signs point to EPCOT being first back. Disney has their earnings call Thursday so will be interesting to see what (if anything) Chappie has to say about the Summer ramp up at the parks. It’s possible OC Florida hits 50% and enters phase 2 by the time of the earnings call. Gives us something else to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom