Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Somewhat morbidly, I actually hope a small but real wave materializes in my area at some point. If people see that it isn’t ending here like they pretend it is at a relatively low vaccination rate - if it hits home yet again - they might get scared all the way to the pharmacy counter.

Oddly enough, I’ve done less since April when it turned into a free for all here than when people were acting respectfully and reasonably up until then.
I don't blame you...sort of a let's give them a tiny bitter dose of medicine so they can avoid having to drink a bucketful.

I've still only been going out once a week to the supermarket for those few things my husband isn't able to get at Walmart (we won't buy meat or produce there). The VAST majority of people are doing what they're supposed to, but I've been seeing the "I don't know how a mask works because, duh" pretenders out and about for a while. I keep as far away from them as humanly possible.

DavidNoble

Respectfully we’ll agree to disagree. Masks were always about… other issues. This isn’t the now closed political sub forum so I’ll leave it at that.

I used to be a FF/EMT and seen a fair amount of gnarly stuff, never really bothered me. People with bad breath and right in your face? 🤮

Well, I only said masks for a little bit longer BECAUSE people have forgotten the mask is no longer covering their face AND they haven't brushed their teeth ;)

ImperfectPixie

Plus, we're not India.
What's happening in India was never going to happen here.
If things weren't shut down very early in the pandemic, things could absolutely have gotten that bad. Don't forget, leadership then was telling the public that it was no worse than the flu and that it was just going to go away. If state leaders hadn't taken matters into their own hands and listened to the experts, we'd have been up a creek.

Incomudro

If things weren't shut down very early in the pandemic, things could absolutely have gotten that bad. Don't forget, leadership then was telling the public that it was no worse than the flu and that it was just going to go away. If state leaders hadn't taken matters into their own hands and listened to the experts, we'd have been up a creek.
We would never turn out like India.
Never, lockdown's or not.
Their population density, healthcare, hygiene, social systems, and on and on are vastly different - as in worse for all but the wealthiest among them - than anything here in this country.
And those aren't my thoughts alone, I've watched and listened to Indian doctors say those things.

correcaminos

I am just OVER people being villainized. EVERYONE is doing the best they can, and trying to survive this the best way they know how. Just because it isn't what you would do doesn't mean they deserve the derision you throw their way.

I am vaxxed and sooooo happy to be. I feel relieved and "free" again. That is the message I send to everyone who is still uncertain or concerned. I can tell you.... that works better than guilt or name calling.
I actually don't think everyone is doing or did the best they can. This comes from knowing a loved one who is intentionally doing things just to be contrary and says as much. Most are but not all are.

sullyinMT

I don't blame you...sort of a let's give them a tiny bitter dose of medicine so they can avoid having to drink a bucketful.

I've still only been going out once a week to the supermarket for those few things my husband isn't able to get at Walmart (we won't buy meat or produce there). The VAST majority of people are doing what they're supposed to, but I've been seeing the "I don't know how a mask works because, duh" pretenders out and about for a while. I keep as far away from them as humanly possible.
Working in a hospital, day to day life doesn’t bother me. Passing the dolt couple at Target shopping for a new coffee maker without a mask doesn’t bother me. I’m more concerned with the craft brewers and restaurants jamming their floors again, instead of holding onto distancing just a bit longer. They have a dollar to make, so I get it at some level.

It’s kind of the same thing with theme parks, tbh. We’re not quite “there” yet, but Uni is packing their ride vehicles full again. We’re getting there, and the operators need to move forward at some point. It’s exciting to watch, but it’s all happening so fast. I just hope it doesn’t backfire since we’re so close to adding a whole bunch of teens to the vaccinated rolls.

ImperfectPixie

We would never turn out like India.
Never, lockdown's or not.
Their population density, healthcare, hygiene, social systems, and on and on are vastly different - as in worse for all but the wealthiest among them - than anything here in this country.
And those aren't my thoughts alone, I've watched and listened to Indian doctors say those things.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

You have a much rosier view of America than I do.

fgmnt

doesn’t have it. That’s the reality. Some
Things you can’t fake.

Ok...gonna climb out of the well...

“So when is Disney gonna go with OC and drop that outdoor mason mandate??”
There's been some speculation that the CDC might release some guidance soon. Obviously it's not going to be legally binding for governors that are just doing their own thing, but businesses large and small trying to balance keeping their place open with keeping their employees safe might be able to use the guidance. Disney would be included. I think if the CDC had some defined targets of case load and vaccination rates to roll back mitigations, Disney would probably publicly line up behind those.

ImperfectPixie

Working in a hospital, day to day life doesn’t bother me. Passing the dolt couple at Target shopping for a new coffee maker without a mask doesn’t bother me. I’m more concerned with the craft brewers and restaurants jamming their floors again, instead of holding onto distancing just a bit longer. They have a dollar to make, so I get it at some level.

It’s kind of the same thing with theme parks, tbh. We’re not quite “there” yet, but Uni is packing their ride vehicles full again. We’re getting there, and the operators need to move forward at some point. It’s exciting to watch, but it’s all happening so fast. I just hope it doesn’t backfire since we’re so close to adding a whole bunch of teens to the vaccinated rolls.
Those are concerns of mine, too. Yes, the pandemic sucks. Yes, everyone is impatient to do fun things...but I really think we're rushing it when it comes to certain things.

Bill in Atlanta

So...all that "talk" about the pandemic magically going away in Jan on inauguration day? Was that driven by the media...or by a certain faction of a group that has nothing to do with the media?
I remember some talk that the pandemic was used as a political weapon by some with a vested interest in the election, and with the change in administrations that it would no longer be necessary to beat that drum. I think the "magically go away" verbiage was mostly hyperbolic shorthand to get the point across.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am just OVER people being villainized. EVERYONE is doing the best they can, and trying to survive this the best way they know how. Just because it isn't what you would do doesn't mean they deserve the derision you throw their way.

I am vaxxed and sooooo happy to be. I feel relieved and "free" again. That is the message I send to everyone who is still uncertain or concerned. I can tell you.... that works better than guilt or name calling.

i’m with you on everything you said except this...

that boils down t “everybody has their opinion”...and while true, a big part of this screwup is that it’s been mongrelized to “everyone has a right to speak on it and it should be considered”

nope...experts exist and matter...experience is a asset, not a “political hurdle”

arms out. Work the problem.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
All the videos are on C-Span. You can go watch for yourself.
Again. He never told us to inject freakin bleach into our bodies. I saw it live. I’ve seen the videos. And ive seen all the “news” headlines and articles that were false, misleading, and political. What he said was stupid but it wasn’t as stupid as everyone changed it to be

end of discussion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lord Jesus. He never told us to go inject bleach into our bodies. 🤦‍♂️ Next topic

He wondered aloud if the disinfecting properties of certain chemicals could be used safely in the body. It was slightly cringy, and probably not the place for brainstorming, but it was nowhere near what the legend has turned into.

I think you can acknowledge it was a mistake someone at that podium should never make. It was “indicative”

he didn’t twist words or forget the prime
Minister of Belgium’s name.
our politicians are old...we’re used to that.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The White House will announce a new partnership with ride-sharing companies Uber Technologies Inc. and Lyft Inc. to make all rides to and from vaccination sites free until July 4, according to administration officials.

White House Covid-19 coordinator Jeff Zients will detail the new steps in a Tuesday call with governors as part of the Biden administration’s effort to meet a target of 70% of the U.S. adult population getting at least one vaccine dose by July 4. President Biden is also meeting virtually with a group of governors Tuesday afternoon to discuss vaccination efforts.

The administration will provide data on about 80,000 vaccination sites to Lyft and Uber as part of the transportation partnership, a senior administration official said.

While the companies were already providing free or discounted rides in some circumstances, the rides will now be free to anyone in the U.S. who is going to a vaccination site to get the shot, and Lyft and Uber will promote the rides to and from tens of thousands of vaccination sites through their apps. The feature will launch in the next two weeks and run until July 4, when Mr. Biden has aimed to have enough people vaccinated to allow for safer Independence Day gatherings."

sullyinMT

i’m with you on everything you said except this...

that boils down t “everybody has their opinion”...and while true, a big part of this screwup is that it’s been mongrelized to “everyone has a right to speak on it and it should be considered”

nope...experts exist and matter...experience is a asset, not a “political hurdle”

arms out. Work the problem.
Yep. And while I have championed people deserving a voice and an opinion with you repeatedly, there is a line. Listen to groups in an effort to understand their situation and make an effort to mold the argument to their “taste.” But the goal should be to get more and more people on board to the vaccine (as the rest of it is water under the bridge at this point). The consensus is the vaccines work. Real world evidence shows us they’re incredibly safe as they’re used in first world nations. Hard stop, roll up the sleeves. The opinions and message could be tailored to sub groups, but the end goal is unwavering.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"The White House will announce a new partnership with ride-sharing companies Uber Technologies Inc. and Lyft Inc. to make all rides to and from vaccination sites free until July 4, according to administration officials.

White House Covid-19 coordinator Jeff Zients will detail the new steps in a Tuesday call with governors as part of the Biden administration’s effort to meet a target of 70% of the U.S. adult population getting at least one vaccine dose by July 4. President Biden is also meeting virtually with a group of governors Tuesday afternoon to discuss vaccination efforts.

The administration will provide data on about 80,000 vaccination sites to Lyft and Uber as part of the transportation partnership, a senior administration official said.

While the companies were already providing free or discounted rides in some circumstances, the rides will now be free to anyone in the U.S. who is going to a vaccination site to get the shot, and Lyft and Uber will promote the rides to and from tens of thousands of vaccination sites through their apps. The feature will launch in the next two weeks and run until July 4, when Mr. Biden has aimed to have enough people vaccinated to allow for safer Independence Day gatherings."

hey...there’s a good idea.

is it the wrong time to point out the value of having experienced, policy wonks around?

prolly 🤪

drizgirl

Somewhat morbidly, I actually hope a small but real wave materializes in my area at some point. If people see that it isn’t ending here like they pretend it is at a relatively low vaccination rate - if it hits home yet again - they might get scared all the way to the pharmacy counter.

Oddly enough, I’ve done less since April when it turned into a free for all here than when people were acting respectfully and reasonably up until then.
So you're wishing a serious illness on people? Do you wish lung cancer on smokers too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom