Coronado Springs vs Pop Century

plutothedoggo

Original Poster
Hello!

So my wife and I are planning our wedding anniversary trip for June 26th through July 2nd and currently we are staying at Pop. We have two After Hour dates within our trip at the beginning and then the next 3 days are other park days with us going in the mid morning through the early afternoon, then coming back to the resort to rest and hang out before dinner and going back out to another park for the night. So we definitely will be hanging at the resort and using the pools (the leisure/smaller ones) a decent amount.

Now, we currently have a Standard Room at POP for the 6 nights for around $975 after the Summer Room promo. That promo also gives us $10 per night during our stay on a Disney gift card, so that makes it around ~$915

I was just checking today on that same promo and I saw Coronado Springs has a Standard Room available for around $1215. And with the $15 per night for a moderate resort we get on the gift card, that brings it down to around ~$1125.

Our question is, is CS worth ~$200 more over Pop? We have never been to either resort so we have no idea. I know there is construction going on at CS, but from some recent construction update articles I've seen, it's pretty much close to being done as the new tower is planned to open sometime in early July 2019.

Any input definitely helps! We have until May 27th to update our reservation.

Thanks!

Dave B

There are a couple things that will make a difference.

1) How much do you use the pool and hot tub?
2) Do you eat at the Food Courts or mostly in parks?
3) How much time do you spend at the resort?---Do you go to the parks all day and just sleep at hotel or do you go back to hotel to relax

Last edited:

LeighM

My husband and I would also chose a moderate over a value if we were planning to spend a large amount of time at the resort. Port Orleans Riverside will always be our favorite moderate but Coronado is a very close second! We just came back from another stay a few weeks ago. The rooms are fantastic since they've been refurbished!! It's a very nice resort. I know some complain about not liking Coronado because of all the conventions but it's never bothered us much. The buses are usually empty compared to other moderates. The food court isn't my favorite though but we usually eat at the pool bar at the Dig Site, the main feature pool. Coronado has a lot more food options than other moderates because it is a convention hotel. I love the main pool area there and CSR has the largest hot tub on property if that matters - each section also has a really nice quiet pool. Cabanas is closest to the tower construction and sections there have been getting the most noise. Ranchos is my favorite section because it's close to second bus stop to the theme parks and a short walk to the Dig Site. Casitas is where the preferred rooms are but buildings 4 & 5 have standard rooms. The Casitas section has the first theme park bus stop. Not sure if they will be changing that when the new tower opens though. Our first trip to CSR was in Ranchos and our more recent stay we had an upgrade to Casitas preferred building. We really do enjoy our trips there.

plutothedoggo

Original Poster
Personally it's a no-brainer for me. I place zero value on the Moderates and won't spend anything on them over Pop. However, I strongly value the preferred rooms at Pop and will pay for them every time.

Here's what I think of when I think CSR:
1. The potential for VERY LONG WALKS to get just about anywhere. The resort is simply massive. You will be there in peak heat season so for me that's a double whammy.
2. Yes, it's a nice pool at CSR.... but it's not that much nicer than Pop's pool (especially if your room is a one minute walk away). I love waterslides and was somewhat disappointed by the slide at CSR - it in NO way compares to the deluxe slides at Beach Club, Poly, Grand Floridian, etc., which are all much faster and more exciting.
3. The rooms are only modestly larger than CSR. POP rooms are very nicely renovated. Amenities are basically the same.
4. Bus transportation is better at Pop - one stop and direct access to all destinations.
5. The scenery is probably better at CSR. Pop is garish, for sure, but extremely Disney.
6. I think the food court is better at Pop, and it's cheaper. You also have the AoA food court.
7. At the end of the day, BOTH are basically glorified motel style properties.

So is CSR better - yes, in some ways. However, when you way the pros and cons, I don't think it justifies a cost premium. That will especially be true when Skyliner opens.

I tried CSR ONE time and the next day (after one night) moved to the Polynesian. The thing about the Deluxe resorts is they DO provide a meaningful upgrade over POP. I just don't see the upgrade from POP to moderates....

Thanks for the reply and the reasons. I'm thinking that it could be better to save the $200ish and use it on a few of the table service dinners we have planned instead of upgrading to CSR this time around. I definitely agree that for Deluxe resorts, it's worth the upgrade, and I'm still looking to do something like that as there is some decent deals for sub $400 a night at a variety of deluxe places... just not sure yet.

Thanks again!

My husband and I would also chose a moderate over a value if we were planning to spend a large amount of time at the resort. Port Orleans Riverside will always be our favorite moderate but Coronado is a very close second! We just came back from another stay a few weeks ago. The rooms are fantastic since they've been refurbished!! It's a very nice resort. I know some complain about not liking Coronado because of all the conventions but it's never bothered us much. The buses are usually empty compared to other moderates. The food court isn't my favorite though but we usually eat at the pool bar at the Dig Site, the main feature pool. Coronado has a lot more food options than other moderates because it is a convention hotel. I love the main pool area there and CSR has the largest hot tub on property if that matters - each section also has a really nice quiet pool. Cabanas is closest to the tower construction and sections there have been getting the most noise. Ranchos is my favorite section because it's close to second bus stop to the theme parks and a short walk to the Dig Site. Casitas is where the preferred rooms are but buildings 4 & 5 have standard rooms. The Casitas section has the first theme park bus stop. Not sure if they will be changing that when the new tower opens though. Our first trip to CSR was in Ranchos and our more recent stay we had an upgrade to Casitas preferred building. We really do enjoy our trips there.

Thank you for the detailed review! The refurbished rooms do look amazing. We definitely have stuff to think about!

There are a couple things that will make a difference.

1) How much do you use the pool and hot tub?
2) Do you eat at the Food Courts or mostly in parks?
3) How much time do you spend at the resort?---Do you go to the parks all day and just sleep at hotel or do you go back to hotel to relax

And for this, we will definitely be using the leisure pools at any place we stay at as those fit our style better (no kids). The first couple days we'll utilize the pools more as we don't plan on going to any park until the After Hours at MK and then HWS the next night. Regarding eating at the resort, if we do, it will be only breakfast and maybe drinks at the pool bars once or twice.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
If you spend more, get a preferred room at Pop. Plus you have the Skyliner.

The only moderate that I will stay at over a value is PO French Quarter due to its compactness and small size. For us it’s either Pop or Deluxe.

Maelstrom Troll

If you spend more, get a preferred room at Pop. Plus you have the Skyliner.

The only moderate that I will stay at over a value is PO French Quarter due to its compactness and small size. For us it’s either Pop or Deluxe.

Absolutely agree. The convenience of POFQ is well worth the price.

Da Bird is Da Word

I've never stayed at Pop, but have been to Coronado several times. I think Coronado would be more romantic. The themes between these two resorts couldn't be more different. What do you think your spouse would prefer?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I've stayed at both.
POP is my all time favorite.
I am not a fan of CSR at all!
If you want to move to a mod I'd go with POR or POFQ.
Otherwise I'd stick with POP and request 50's lake view for what I've always found is the quietest area and pretty looking at hourglass lake.

monykalyn

Love Coronado Springs, definitely a more "grown up" resort. Not sure AT ALL how someone thinks the pools are "similar". and good gravy do people exaggerate the walks-you get a room at back of Pop and that is a long walk!

I do like Pop-for what its worth we did a split stay last August for our anniversary-4 nights at Pop and 3 at AKL. Unfortunately that totally spoiled my hubs and I think AKL may be the only onsite resort he will stay in again lol!

My opinion differs from much of the above. We stayed at both resorts, and I would never stay at POP again. I found it to be overcrowded and inconvenient, particularly compared to stays at the All Stars. CSR is much more relaxing, and I think the bus service is far better. (That was pre-tower). I think there is a big jump in quality between value and moderate, and if you’ll be spending time at the resort, it is worth the extra money.

Ariel1986

I would jump to CSR in a heartbeat if $200 was the difference for 6 nights! I've stayed at Pop and like Pop, but CSR is MUCH prettier, more romantic, quieter and less garish, relaxing, beautiful upgraded rooms (Pops are great too but the CSR ones top them for me), great pool bar- and the lake bar is opening soon maybe even when you are there? We stayed back in December and there was much more construction then- but it didn't bother us then, so I can't see how now it would be a problem.

For an increased resort time stay CSR for me wins hands down. Quieter and more relaxing.

plutothedoggo

Original Poster
Thank you all for all the replies! After thinking and talking more with my wife, we think it's a great opportunity to at least try CSR given that it's only around $25 more per night over Pop. If we weren't planning on staying at the resort for some of the days to hang out before the parks at night, then we probably would do the value.

I think we the new refurbishments that finished up mostly last year, and that the tower construction is mostly done on the outside (and that it's still scheduled to open in July), we feel excited to try it out!

Thanks again and I'll be sure to post a Trip Report afterwards!

plutothedoggo

Original Poster
We've stayed at both. CSR is beautiful, and we did not find the walks to be as long as the horror stories imply. People also complain about POP being spread out with a single bus stop. Again, the walks are not that long.

$200 total price difference would be a tough call. POP is getting the skyliner which for us (two empty-nesters) is way more important than a large pool, slide, etc. We did notice the difference in room size in our stay at POP earlier this month. But, still not bad. CSR has a table service restaurant that we think is very good - we even drove over one night to eat there. CSR has multiple bus stops, and we did actually have to wait for a second bus because by the time it reached us (at the last stop), it was full. POP has a single bus stop, and usually has larger buses going to MK. But... we did have to wait for a second bus during our recent trip, and that was during a "non-busy" time period.

We love both resorts and would highly recommend either. But, for our anniversary trip this year we are staying at POFQ. We find it the best for us - small resort, single bus stop, great location, etc. Sadly, very rarely are the discounts as good or even available at POFQ.

Regardless of which you choose, enjoy your vacation and Happy Anniversary!

Thanks for the insight! We are not going to be at DW when the Skyliner opens up, which if it was, we definitely would try POP. And regarding the smaller size, and good centralish location of the moderate resorts, including CSR, that is why we decided to do that instead of POP this time around, especially for our anniversary. It just ticked enough boxes for us.

LeighM

And for this, we will definitely be using the leisure pools at any place we stay at as those fit our style better (no kids). The first couple days we'll utilize the pools more as we don't plan on going to any park until the After Hours at MK and then HWS the next night. Regarding eating at the resort, if we do, it will be only breakfast and maybe drinks at the pool bars once or twice.

My husband and I don't have kids and we enjoy the main pool at CSR. I think because most people consider it a business convention hotel and it doesn't scream Disney, that a lot of families with young children stay somewhere else. It seems to be much more adult oriented. Not saying that you don't see families with children at the pool (you definitely do!) but not as much as would be at the values or a resort like Riverside or Caribbean Beach. And now that they have opened the 3 bridges over the lake at CSR, the walk time is a lot shorter than it was previously when you had to walk around the lake to get to the rooms in Ranchos. We stayed at CSR during the cheerleading competitions (one of the main resorts they stay) and even then the crowds were low around the resort.

MinnieCaroline

We have stayed at both and I would definitely pick CSR over Pop! We loved the refurbished room and did not find the walk from the main lobby to our room bad at all, we were in the Cabana section, in a standard view and it was beautiful. There was a beach area outside the room with hammocks and chairs for lounging and the main pool was not far. It was very quiet at night and even in the afternoon when we came back to rest.

The bus stop was close and I never felt like the bus ride or walk was long or crowded. The resort is so centrally located to all the parks, this was a big plus. The rooms have plenty of storage and feel roomy for two people!

daisyduckie

I've stayed at both, and would go with CSR for that small of a difference.

The resorts both feel very different. Pop is fun, hectic, and to me feels like you are always on the go. CSR is pretty, and has a more relaxed feel. In my many stays I have found the bus service to be great. Never have I felt packed on as I do at the values, and the buses were prompt. Pop, well, the stops seems to be the one the farthest away from any park entrance. And always seemed to be packed full.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom