Coronado Springs Resort

tamara

Original Poster
I planned a last minute trip to coincide with the one of the cheerleading comps in February. I booked the day after christmas and the only resort available that wasn't $500+ per night was The Little Mermaid Room at Art of Animation. I really wanted Port of Orleans but that wasn't available. I keep checking the website for availability and noticed that Coronado Springs is now available and I would end up paying $400 more for the room. We'll be traveling with a 2 year old and I imagine she'll love the room at AofA because she loves all things princess and Ariel. However, I'm a bit of a hotel snob, we're owners at a hilton vacation club and usually stay at one of their properties. Is AofA really like a motel or should I just bite the bullet and pay more to upgrade? Additional info, we have reservations at Ohana and Chef Mickey's for breakfast on 2 of the days. Not sure if that makes a difference in terms of traveling to those locations from either hotel. We'll only be there for 4 days, 3 nights and plan to visit the parks on those 3 days. Outside of midday naps, I'm not sure if we'll be in the room much.

Minnie Mum

My philosophy about travelling with younger kids: stay where YOU want to stay. The kids won't really care - they're going to be happy with the novelty of any new (to them) place. Yes, the little mermaid rooms are cheaper. But they're also a lot smaller, and are a fairly long walk from the bus and main building. CSR is also spread out, but at least it has multiple bus stops. No one else can say whether the extra amenities at CSR would be worth the extra cost to you.

Octagneh

Art of Animation is of course very dolled and visually attractive for children but I am not sure a child so young will register the memories. Coronado Springs is a Spanish setting. Again I have to say, my child is 21 now and I don’t recall how much a 2 year old really registers their environment. Like Minnie Mum above said, I would pick where YOU want to go. Now for a child the age of 6? I would say Art of Animation - the memories may stick with them. Ohana Character Breakfast is...ok...for kids. But their dinner is amazing for adults. (Strictly my opinion) Chef Mickey Character Breakfast over at the Contemporary Resort is amazing breakfast buffet for everyone. IMO

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I am also a self professed hotel snob lol. Since this is a short trip, keep it about the 2 year old. Chances are you will be back and will have more time to plan for a nicer hotel on property.

Have a wonderful time!!

Dave B

Stay at AoA, the theme is great and the walk is NOT that bad, 5 minutes tops and you get to walk thru Lion King themed area, pretty cool

Have Fun

Last edited:

jaklgreen

My philosophy about travelling with younger kids: stay where YOU want to stay. The kids won't really care - they're going to be happy with the novelty of any new (to them) place. Yes, the little mermaid rooms are cheaper. But they're also a lot smaller, and are a fairly long walk from the bus and main building. CSR is also spread out, but at least it has multiple bus stops. No one else can say whether the extra amenities at CSR would be worth the extra cost to you.

I completely agree with this. Kids don't care and do not know the difference. OP stay where you want to and feel more comfortable. The value resort rooms are very small. We really like CS. the rooms are bigger and I think are the nicest of all the moderates.

BoarderPhreak

IMO, CS won't be much of an upgrade over AOA. In fact, for a child, AOA would be more interesting by far. And with a two year old, as @Minnie Mum said; it won't matter as they won't remember it for very long. It's all about the parks and experiences.

monykalyn

CSR in the refurbed rooms are much nicer! Comfy QUEEN beds, much nicer bathroom etc. 2 year old isn't going to remember where you stayed. Request 8A-quick walk across bridge to food, right by Dig Site pool, and close to bus stop. LOVED our room there (New years)! My 11 year old son also loved the resort when we stayed there in August (we were in non refurb room but right next to quiet pool).

jaklgreen

CSR in the refurbed rooms are much nicer! Comfy QUEEN beds, much nicer bathroom etc. 2 year old isn't going to remember where you stayed. Request 8A-quick walk across bridge to food, right by Dig Site pool, and close to bus stop. LOVED our room there (New years)! My 11 year old son also loved the resort when we stayed there in August (we were in non refurb room but right next to quiet pool).

Completely agree. CSR is much nicer then AOA, not even a comparison. And small children have no clue whether or not you are staying at the super 8 up the street or the Grand Floridian. All kids want is a pool anyway.

tamara

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm probably going to split up the trip. 1-2 nights at Art of Animation and 2 nights at the Contemporary or Poly. That way we're both happy.

BoarderPhreak

CSR in the refurbed rooms are much nicer
Completely agree. CSR is much nicer then AOA...

For whom? You - or the kids? While I would agree, the refurbed rooms are much nicer than they used to be. But I would think kids would like the theming of AOA a lot more, both in-room and in general. Plus AOA has the biggest pool on property. And CSR is under construction currently.

jimbojones

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm probably going to split up the trip. 1-2 nights at Art of Animation and 2 nights at the Contemporary or Poly. That way we're both happy.
That sounds like a great compromise, be sure to end at the poly or contemporary otherwise you will really feel like you have taken a step down at AoA. I say this from personal experience, in doing a split stay always end at the nicest hotel. :)

jimbojones

For whom? You - or the kids? While I would agree, the refurbed rooms are much nicer than they used to be. But I would think kids would like the theming of AOA a lot more, both in-room and in general. Plus AOA has the biggest pool on property. And CSR is under construction currently.
This really depends on the kids. My oldest liked CSR more at the age of 5, even at a young age she preferred the more real world Aztec theme to the cartoon character theme at the value resorts. But I suspect my now 5yo would prefer the theme at AoA. Only you know what your kids are likely to prefer so take any advice in that regard with a grain of salt.

BoarderPhreak

This really depends on the kids. My oldest liked CSR more at the age of 5, even at a young age she preferred the more real world Aztec theme to the cartoon character theme at the value resorts. But I suspect my now 5yo would prefer the theme at AoA. Only you know what your kids are likely to prefer so take any advice in that regard with a grain of salt.
True, yeah... Definitely depends on the age of the kids and what they're into. I'm thinking along the lines of OP's two year old.

jaklgreen

True, yeah... Definitely depends on the age of the kids and what they're into. I'm thinking along the lines of OP's two year old.

I think you are giving a 2 year old too much credit. Sure if you stayed at AoA they would love it, but the same goes for CSR. Every resort at WDW will appeal to kids. I would never make a decision about what hotel we would stay at solely based on what my 2 year would "like better". I mean, unless they have a job and want to pitch in an help pay. LOL I think the whole "what hotel will my toddler enjoy more" is a non issue. Kids don't think like that and it's not like they are trolling the internet and comparing WDW resorts in their free time. The adults should decide on what hotel would be best for their family, taking size and price, etc into consideration, but not if a 2 year would like it better.

BoarderPhreak

I think you are giving a 2 year old too much credit. Sure if you stayed at AoA they would love it, but the same goes for CSR. Every resort at WDW will appeal to kids. I would never make a decision about what hotel we would stay at solely based on what my 2 year would "like better". I mean, unless they have a job and want to pitch in an help pay. LOL I think the whole "what hotel will my toddler enjoy more" is a non issue. Kids don't think like that and it's not like they are trolling the internet and comparing WDW resorts in their free time. The adults should decide on what hotel would be best for their family, taking size and price, etc into consideration, but not if a 2 year would like it better.
Do YOU have toddlers? 🤣

jaklgreen

Do YOU have toddlers? 🤣

Not anymore. Both are teens but we have been travelling with them to WDW(and other places) since they were 1 and 2 years old. First trip we stayed at the Contemporary. Zero theme there but they we still had a great time. Second trip when they were 2 and 3, stayed at the Poly. Guess what they remember from that trip. Only 1 thing and that was there were a bunch of ducks that we would see every day. Yes people, kids find ducks more interesting then the amazing theming of Polynesian. Then we moved onto CBR for a few trips and then CSR and then back to CBR then POFQ then another stay at CSR. Kids had an amazing trip each time and not once did either one of my girls complain about or even bring up the fact they were not satisfied with the theme of the resort we stayed at. And I would not have given a rat's behind if they did, other then to tell them if they are so unhappy with the hotel I pick then they can stay home with grandma next trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom