News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

NiarrNDisney

Photo update as of Thursday, February 22, 2018. The high rise resort at Coronado Springs is up to the 8th and 9th floors now. First photo is from the porte cochere of Coronado Springs for a size comparison.

View attachment 265962

View attachment 265963

The first pilings are being installed for the restaurant in the center of the lake. To the right, the first boardwalk is being installed, extending from Casitas No. 5.

View attachment 265964

View attachment 265965

Quite a bit of fill has been added to the front of the high rise, to build out pavement and landscaping for the front of the building.

View attachment 265967

View attachment 265968

Finally, here is the image you see as you drive up to the security kiosk for Coronado Springs.

View attachment 265969

WOW they are really far along! hanks for posting picture updates

NiarrNDisney

What an ugly monstrosity that ruins the resort.

It was such a nice, laid-back resort with a real theme. Now it will be laid back, Coronado themed... but with a downtown Hilton in the middle of it.

I agree that this quaint (though large) resort is going to lose it relaxed laid back feel. I kind of wish that if it was more rooms Disney needed that they would have either built another Value or expanded the Riviera instead of adding this tower but being the eternal optimist I am I want to see it finished before i make a final opinion. I am happy that they are making the restaurant on the lake and even adding the one on top of the tower though I feel like its probably too many restaurants for one property. They will have to rethink or reimagine Cafe Rix, Las Ventanas, Maya Grill, Pepper Market, and Rix Lounge (think we may be seeing Maya and or Rix Lounge Las Ventanas leaving. Honestly now thinking about it the tower may have been better placed on top of the convention center and then the rooms could have been solely used for those attending Convention, Expos, and Trade shows leaving the rest of the resort for those on vacation to enjoy.

Last edited:

jmuboy

I agree that this quaint (though large) resort is going to lose it relaxed laid back feel. I kind of wish that if it was more rooms Disney needed that they would have either built another Value or expanded the Riviera instead of adding this tower but being the eternal optimist I am I want to see it finished before i make a final opinion. I am happy that they are making the restaurant on the lake and even adding the one on top of the tower though I feel like its probably too many restaurants for one property. They will have to rethink or reimagine Cafe Rix, Las Ventanas, Maya Grill, Pepper Market, and Rix Lounge (think we may be seeing Maya and or Rix Lounge Las Ventanas leaving. Honestly now thinking about it the tower may have been better placed on top of the convention center and then the rooms could have been solely used for those attending Convention, Expos, and Trade shows leaving the rest of the resort for those on vacation to enjoy.

The number of Food locations may seem to be a lot but there are a lot more convention workers and attendees and room guests to feed once the “new” version of this resort is up and operational.

Epcot82Guy

Have to agree. The tower's scale really is going to destroy the scale of the resort. And, the new restaurant will take away the one part of the lake that actually felt large enough to be a lake. I was all for expansion, but not sacrificing what made the place one of my favorite moderates.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Have to agree. The tower's scale really is going to destroy the scale of the resort. And, the new restaurant will take away the one part of the lake that actually felt large enough to be a lake. I was all for expansion, but not sacrificing what made the place one of my favorite moderates.

If Coronado was going to expand you do it by either: 1. spreading out farther, 2. going up, or, 3. filling in.

Spreading out farther wasn't an option what with Coronado surrounded by unsuitable land for development. So, any expansion had to fill in and/or go up.

Epcot82Guy

If Coronado was going to expand you do it by either: 1. spreading out farther, 2. going up, or, 3. filling in.

Spreading out farther wasn't an option what with Coronado surrounded by unsuitable land for development. So, any expansion had to fill in and/or go up.

I fully understand that need. And, I don't mind the general concept. It's placement and height. It certainly would have been possible to do a larger footprint tower (three wing vs. two) in the same general area. Some parking rearrangement would be all that's needed. Similar for the restaurant - making it nearer to shore. But, those both would have been more expensive - certainly when having to pour foundation for an extra tower vs. just adding floors on top. And, you potentially lose the "fireworks" up-charge capability.

However, they now have the issue of the blatantly obvious premium vs. non-premium areas. Before, the resort felt cohesive. So, each of the areas felt somewhat the same. Conventions often complained that it felt cheap and kitschy. I fear, even with the rooms being the same/similar in design, you will have a lot of attendees complaining about having to stay "in the motel part" vs. the pretty tower which is scaled to be the obvious real star.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Has anyone seen figures on how many new staff cast members will be required to run this monstrosity elegant tower?

Cesar R M

Photo update as of Thursday, February 22, 2018. The high rise resort at Coronado Springs is up to the 8th and 9th floors now. First photo is from the porte cochere of Coronado Springs for a size comparison.

View attachment 265962

View attachment 265963

The first pilings are being installed for the restaurant in the center of the lake. To the right, the first boardwalk is being installed, extending from Casitas No. 5.

View attachment 265964

View attachment 265965

Quite a bit of fill has been added to the front of the high rise, to build out pavement and landscaping for the front of the building.

View attachment 265967

View attachment 265968

Finally, here is the image you see as you drive up to the security kiosk for Coronado Springs.

View attachment 265969
Anyone can explain how a giant building of Miami style hotel tower is inspired in Mexico, TexMex and stuff like that ? o _ O

I mean, just seen the other images a few times (the "concept") and they dont look anything remotely colonial.
They infact reminds me of Granada,, Malaga or other areas with very heavy Islamic inspiration.

Last edited:

ryguy

The view from this tower will at least be nicer than the one at the Riviera resort, which is a view of cast parking and backstage at Epcot. At least at night it shouldn't so visible when looking at those fireworks :p

SoupBone

I stayed here last week, and the expansion is really nice so far. I stayed in a brand new room, and I have to say, Coronado finally feels like a moderate resort now. The rooms were very nice, the scenery, especially the fountains, bushes, flowers, etc. were all very nice. I really felt like I was at a Disney resort, which in previous Coronado stays never felt that way.

Biff215

I stayed here last week, and the expansion is really nice so far. I stayed in a brand new room, and I have to say, Coronado finally feels like a moderate resort now. The rooms were very nice, the scenery, especially the fountains, bushes, flowers, etc. were all very nice. I really felt like I was at a Disney resort, which in previous Coronado stays never felt that way.
Interesting, wonder what has changed so far that would make you feel that way. I've always felt Coronado felt more like a deluxe resort, far better than any moderate. I fear the changes (the tower mostly) might change my outlook on the resort, and I've been avoiding it due to the construction for now. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, I hope I can go back one day.

SoupBone

Interesting, wonder what has changed so far that would make you feel that way. I've always felt Coronado felt more like a deluxe resort, far better than any moderate. I fear the changes (the tower mostly) might change my outlook on the resort, and I've been avoiding it due to the construction for now. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, I hope I can go back one day.

I stayed at Coronado in 2014 and it felt like a regular old and dated hotel. I never really felt like I was at Disney, outside of the main lobby. The new rooms are really nice, with huge TV's, high end shower, and really comfortable beds. They hit the rooms out of the park. I don't know if they added more shrubbery, flowers, and overall greenery, but it has a completely different feel to it now. I will definitely book there for future trips.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom