Coronado Springs Expansion

deeevo

I was not impressed when I stayed a couple weeks ago for a night. It felt like an average apartment complex in a Florida neighborhood. I just stayed since I have been to all the other Moderates and I wanted to check it out. Also it was the only one with a Passholder discount available. I don't think I would do it again. Although Saratoga Springs looks like my first apartment complex when I lived in Tampa.

RSoxNo1

I have no inside knowledge, but I'd place a sizable virtual wager that DVC is coming to Coronado.
I'm thinking this is likely. Again, I also have no information about this, but Caribbean Beach has been rumored, so a DVC expansion to Coronado also makes sense. For people that don't know the layout, Coronado is further away, but if they're moving water around I could see these two locations having water taxis to Epcot and DHS.
Resort Layout.jpg

Next Big Thing

I have a hard time seeing DVC at this resort. It's a beautiful resort, but a bit too "business-oriented" with all of its conventions, plus very spread out. I just can't see it being in demand for people wanting to buy into it. I would guess more parking spaces.
However, the balloons are odd, I guess it could be for convention space expansion, and maybe a tower for additional rooms that would be closer to the main building.
OKW and Saratoga are spread out too. OKW is also a pretty tacky theme as well, so it's not like DVC is above something along the lines of Coronado.

Bocabear

It would take like, 45 minutes by boat to get to EPCOT if they created a waterway...
and a DVC at Coronado...that would be a pretty unpopular choice.... It's a nice resort and all, but DVC works best when it is somewhere people want to be... They would be better off building a new DVC resort somewhere on the Monorail line... THAT would sell...

Mike730

I'm gonna put in my 2 cents here and wager that this is not DVC. This is the last moderate I would expect to get DVC. It is easiest to satisfy guests when they are staying among similar guests demographically. Hence, Yacht and Beach Club. Some amenities are shared, but the demographics are clearly split for the satisfaction of the guests in each location.

Knowing that accommodations will be added in the near future for both DVC members and Conventioners, I wouldn't expect them to start messing with their expected clientele at each resort.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It would take like, 45 minutes by boat to get to EPCOT if they created a waterway...
and a DVC at Coronado...that would be a pretty unpopular choice.... It's a nice resort and all, but DVC works best when it is somewhere people want to be... They would be better off building a new DVC resort somewhere on the Monorail line... THAT would sell...

New resorts take more money and more time to build than tacking on to an existing infrastructure.

I also didn't say when DVC would be coming to Coronado, just that it would be. ;) Keep in mind that DVC already has several projects in the pipeline, but adding on at Coronado to that pipeline makes sense, given the timelines involved. Gotta keep that DVC money a-flowin'...

Bocabear

New resorts take more money and more time to build than tacking on to an existing infrastructure.

I also didn't say when DVC would be coming to Coronado, just that it would be. ;) Keep in mind that DVC already has several projects in the pipeline, but adding on at Coronado to that pipeline makes sense, given the timelines involved. Gotta keep that DVC money a-flowin'...
Oh! You know this officially then?

toolsnspools

I think with DS done they are trying to pull in more convention crowds. Expanding the convention center and rooms as CSR is the perfect way to do this. There are also the CBR and Sw-olfin projects that have seen height testing balloons, so a push for the convention crowds may be in the works.

On the other hand, DVC will be built almost to capacity at the deluxe resorts, so attaching them to the mods is a possibility as well. I think it will make for a weird price-point because I doubt they'll be able to sell them in the $150-165/pp range that they have been getting at VGF and VPR. They already have the new cabins at FW that will be selling soon, so another DVC seems like it would be a future effort vs. a current one.

Bocabear

As a DVC owner, I would not be the least bit interested in a Moderate DVC experience...Often as it is, our Premium DVC units feel like moderates in their upkeep...Cant even imagine what downgrading the price would bring... I think before going to Moderates, they should actually consider building a new Dedicated DVC resort... Maybe on the Monorail Loop or someplace someone wants to be... not off in the hinterlands like Coronado Springs. They can get higher price point for a park-adjacent resort than another one that is a huge pain in the a** to get to and from...

WDWtraveler

To correlate with @danlb_2000 's post, this article appeared in the Orlando Sentinel today (Monday, Oct 31, page D3.):
"Permits filed for Coronado.
Reedy Creek has filed permits for work that looks like it could be related to an expansion of Disney World's Coronado Springs Resort. The application says there will be a new stormwater management pond and expansion of another pond to accommodate future impervious areas within Coronado Springs. Disney would not give further details. The hotel's website notes that it will be undergoing "a refurbishment" beginning in the fall."

The key words are "to accommodate future impervious areas within Coronado Springs." Sounds like either a parking lot or a new building to me. The map locations posted by @danlb_2000 on page one seem to indicate this.

Goofnut1980

OKW and Saratoga are spread out too. OKW is also a pretty tacky theme as well, so it's not like DVC is above something along the lines of Coronado.

We stayed at OKW and I was truly surprised at how basic it felt. It did not feel deluxe at all! The bathrooms were far from luxurious and the rooms were so choppy! But it seems as the DVC progressed they wanted to just make hotel rooms with them. We are AKV and Poly DVC and even the Poly as nice as it is, is still very "hotely" feeling.

Buzz2001

I just returned from CSR and heard that the cabana 9b building and business class rooms are done as of December 2016 and the building is being taken down. Couldn't find out what was going in its place. Do you think family suites are coming? I heard it is not DVC or convention related.

Bolt

I just returned from CSR and heard that the cabana 9b building and business class rooms are done as of December 2016 and the building is being taken down. Couldn't find out what was going in its place. Do you think family suites are coming? I heard it is not DVC or convention related.
I doubt DVC just because the resort is often bought out for full conventions and would probably work against them with people who have points and want to stay there.

DDLand

Let me speculate for a moment...

@marni1971 said that this is for expansion. I believe that implies that we're not going to see this just become more parking, especially if the 9b building is coming down. That plus the new ponds make way for significant amount of room to build new structures.

What could these buildings be used for? There are four options:
1) Amenities
2) Timeshares
3) Conventions
4) Additional Hotel Capacity

If those height baloons are indicative of the fully built out buildings we can safely rule out 1 and 3. 1 doesn't make tons of sense even if it was built low. Coronado is already a nicely built out Resort. They could add another pool, but that would be so close to the other pool it would be of little benefit to the users. Any amenities upgrade would simply pull away from existing offerings. They could add a spa, but that would be a strange addition when WDW's deluxes use that as a differentiator and have extensive capacity.

That would be one massive convention center just from a height prospective and would be a serious change in direction. Also you do say it's not convention, so we can rule that out.

That leaves time shares and increased hotel capacity. You say no to time share. I actually am partial to believing you. With Wilderness Lodge not yet finished, other more easily low hanging fruit like a second Beach Club Resort DVC, and monorail resorts with more plots available I don't see Coronado being the first best choice. In order to make it worth it, they'd have to build a tower. Why build it here instead of somewhere like the Contemporary?

That leaves only #4. Increased hotel capacity.

What do we know? We know Rasulo and Staggs (I hope they're having fun in retirement) said that Disney was at a place where they'd start considering adding hotel inventory in the past. We know other operators and Resorts have added thousands of hotel rooms in Orlando since 2012, Disney's last expansion. We also know that it's cheaper to add capacity to existing resorts because the amenities are already there.

If Disney were to add capacity, where would they do it? Why not at an existing popular Resort that is already well tapped into the convention market? Why not add a tower with several hundred rooms to the existing development? Wouldn't that work?

Or they could just be adding DVC... ;)

Edit: While I talked about this being more than just parking, I wouldn't be surprised if the main lot outside of checkin moved into the bottom yellow area. That would significantly increase capacity of the lot, especially if there are room or convention additions.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom