Coronado Springs Expansion

freediverdude

Now that I think about it, of all the moderates, CSR would make the most sense to build a DVC add on. It's long been known as the "deluxe lite", with some amenities of the deluxes, like the health club, hair salon, fancier food court, business level rooms, bigger pool, etc. Personally I have always disliked that resort, and not had good experiences there, so I would not be interested in DVC points there, but I could see how it would be easier for Disney to sell it as DVC over the other moderates because of the amenities.

peter11435

If you include the ballroom, the Contemporary boasts 90,000 square foot of convention space. By the same metric, The next closest competitor is the yacht club at 73,000 square feet. The Grand Floridian comes in at only 40,000 square feet.

So why take down your largest and quite popular convention space to build a new high rise when you can build it over 250 of the lowest priced rooms at the resort? Your room inventory goes up (BLT has 428 rooms) as does what you can charge per night for those rooms and you convention area flagship remains intact.
Coronado springs already has the largest convention center on property with significantly more square footage than the contemporary.

ryguy

I guess what we don't know is the cost benefit for Disney tearing this building down and putting up DVC. If they are considering it, must be pretty good. Also most people who are buying into DVC want Deluxe resorts. So increasing that inventory makes sense rather than building at a moderate.

Wouldn't surprise me if they built a tower over at Coronado, you would get some good views. Pretty much could see all the firework shows. I really don't know if proximity to the Magic Kingdom is a big deal to convention goers who usually don't have their kids with them. Epcot is probably a better sell with the more adult themed events. And the Boardwalk is pretty cool.

Interesting to see what becomes of this, fun discussion.

BigThunderMatt

I'm not a fan of the huge monstrosity of a tower they built at the Coronado (nor all the other hotel skyscrapers that are sprouting up on Disney property muddying the skyline). I stayed at the Coronado in 2015 and enjoyed the lower roofed buildings and more quaint, low-key feel.

Part of the reason it was built was that the bulk of Coronado's guests are there on business at the convention center and there were tons of complaints about the walking distance from the farthest of the Ranchos buildings up to the convention center. Now convention guests can be primarily housed in the tower and the closest casitas buildings both a short walk to the convention center while leisure guests can be placed in the farther out buildings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom