News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

SorcererMC

You were also previously referencing Guadí, an architect, so it seems particularly odd to claim that a lot of the design was inspired by the work of an architect, just not the actual architecture.
To key in on this - I think that it is inspired by Gaudi's work. The difference to me between what Disney has done, for example, is that Gaudi's ironwork is functional. Disney has used it as decorative form. I can see how some might view that as sub-par.
Specifically saying that the design is on trend seems to be supporting evidence for the claim that the design is something one could expect at other large, business oriented hotels. It also still begs the question of “Why insist on a concept that doesn’t work?” If Guadí or Dalí alone are too much, much less combined, then maybe do something else that better fits the budget and alleged market. Disney freely chose to do a concept that they themselves admit is too much for what they actually wanted.
Ok. Thanks for this because I think it clarifies the argument of why people are saying 'it's not enough'. With respect to Dali influence, they kept it narrowly focused on the short. For me that is sufficient to anchor it, but I feel it demands more of the guest in terms of interacting with the space. If they want to know more, the impetus is on them. I do think it's a challenge for Disney to combine underlying works in this manner, and I'm trying to think of any other hotel where they have done so?

In large part I attribute the clumsiness of this retroactive application to the entire resort to management. IMO there are plenty of other Mexican-inspired themes that they could have chosen, that would have been consistent with the resort. It does beg the question, why? The more I think about it, the more I think they need a cultural intelligence expert.

Last edited:

Sam Magic

In large part I attribute the clumsiness of this retroactive application to the entire resort to management. IMO there are plenty of other Mexican-inspired themes that they could have chosen, that would have been consistent with the resort. It does beg the question, why? The more I think about it, the more I think they need a cultural intelligence expert.
Either management thinks that guests are too stupid to know Spain and Mexico are different countries, or (and debatably worse), they themselves don't know.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Coronado Springs is specifically a Mexican/American Southwest themed resort. The resort this tower is supposed to fit into.

And American Southwest and Southern Mexico are already two different things. Just because you're used to the fact that Disney mashed them together into one resort and claimed they were one thing doesn't make them one thing. It'd be like making a resort that's French/German or Polish/Italian. Once you do that, why not throw in other European countries?

CSR is not the pure cultural breed you think it is. From Mayan ruins to Tex-Mex, it's a mishmash. Pulling out the Spanish influences and melding them in a tower is arguably bringing those things together rather than being a new disjointed endeavor.

Sam Magic

And American Southwest and Southern Mexico are already two different things. Just because you're used to the fact that Disney mashed them together into one resort and claimed they were one thing doesn't make them one thing. It'd be like making a resort that's French/German or Polish/Italian. Once you do that, why not throw in other European countries?

CSR is not the pure cultural breed you think it is. From Mayan ruins to Tex-Mex, it's a mishmash. Pulling out the Spanish influences and melding them in a tower is arguably bringing those things together rather than being a new disjointed endeavor.
Well...technically the American Southwest and Mexico were the same thing at some point...so.........anyways...besides that point the stated theme of the resort is Mexican-American Southwest. Spain is 5,000 miles from that region.

The point is that there are stronger overlapping themes, designs, etc. amongst the southwest and Mexico than there is between Mexico as a whole and Spain...not to mention Catalonia. The only thing in common with Mexico and Spain is that they were in an empire together and both countries primary language is Spanish. It showcases a lack of cultural intelligence or at least competence for them to mash the two together.

Given the cultural ignorance of the Disney company today, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a generic "European" hotel tbh.

BD-Anaheim

Well...technically the American Southwest and Mexico were the same thing at some point...so.........anyways...besides that point the stated theme of the resort is Mexican-American Southwest. Spain is 5,000 miles from that region.

The point is that there are stronger overlapping themes, designs, etc. amongst the southwest and Mexico than there is between Mexico as a whole and Spain...not to mention Catalonia. The only thing in common with Mexico and Spain is that they were in an empire together and both countries primary language is Spanish. It showcases a lack of cultural intelligence or at least competence for them to mash the two together.

Given the cultural ignorance of the Disney company today, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a generic "European" hotel tbh.

Dali once said after a visit to Mexico City, “I’m never going back to Mexico. I can’t stand a country more surrealist than my paintings.”

It’s also relevant to mention that some of the major surrealists of the era — Varo, Leonora Carrington, Wolfgang Paalen, André Breton — moved to Mexico.

Mexico’s surrealist past shouldnt be brushed aside in such a simplistic fashion as to say the movement started in Spain (especially when the roots of surrealism are from the Dada movement in Paris).

Sir_Cliff

Either management thinks that guests are too stupid to know Spain and Mexico are different countries, or (and debatably worse), they themselves don't know.
I have a sneaking suspicion they decided that Mexican or Southwestern theming wouldn't read as upmarket enough for what they were going for with this hotel. That is certainly not my position, but that would be my guess as to why they decided to stretch the Iberoamerican theme way over to the Iberian Peninsula with this tower rather than expanding on either the Southwestern or Mexican theming already present.

SorcererMC

Dali once said after a visit to Mexico City, “I’m never going back to Mexico. I can’t stand a country more surrealist than my paintings.”

It’s also relevant to mention that some of the major surrealists of the era — Varo, Leonora Carrington, Wolfgang Paalen, André Breton — moved to Mexico.

Mexico’s surrealist past shouldnt be brushed aside in such a simplistic fashion as to say the movement started in Spain (especially when the roots of surrealism are from the Dada movement in Paris).
🤨 . What does any of that have to do with the actual place-making of the resort?

BD-Anaheim

🤨 . What does any of that have to do with the actual place-making of the resort?

Understanding the historical relevance of surrealism in Mexico should help to understand that the theming of the resort is not a stretch, not out of place, and not an effort by Disney imagineers to “fool” tourists.

But I get it, facts can be stubborn.

SorcererMC

Understanding the historical relevance of surrealism in Mexico should help to understand that the theming of the resort is not a stretch, not out of place, and not an effort by Disney imagineers to “fool” tourists.

You must be joking. Are there no surrealist Mexican artists that could have blended well with Dali? Are there no Mexican-inspired myths, eg the plumed serpent, that could have translated well to surrealism?

Disney shoehorned Catalan artists into a Mexican-themed resort. I personally can get over that hump, and most of Disney's guests won't think twice about it. But let's not pretend that Disney putting Spain into Mexico isn't problematic. It's tone-deaf, at best.

BD-Anaheim

You must be joking. Are there no surrealist Mexican artists that could have blended well with Dali? Are there no Mexican-inspired myths, eg the plumed serpent, that could have translated well to surrealism?

Disney shoehorned Catalan artists into a Mexican-themed resort. I personally can get over that hump, and most of Disney's guests won't think twice about it. But let's not pretend that Disney putting Spain into Mexico isn't problematic. It's tone-deaf, at best.

You’ve clearly never been to Mexico.

BD-Anaheim

If traveling to Mexico is required to understand the themes of the resort, Disney failed miserably.

The theme of the resort isn’t in question, is it? Your knowledge of Mexican history however seems elementary. Not a big deal, really. In fact, generations of people have learned a thing or two about other cultures, including their nuances that aren’t relegated to typical stereotypes, from things that Disney has produced over time.

The outrage here is silly.

SorcererMC

The theme of the resort isn’t in question, is it?
Have you read the thread at all?
Your knowledge of Mexican history however seems elementary. Not a big deal, really. In fact, generations of people have learned a thing or two about other cultures, including their nuances that aren’t relegated to typical stereotypes, from things that Disney has produced over time.

The outrage here is silly.
Oh my. You are barking up the wrong tree. Your condescension is refreshing, though.

lazyboy97o

So your claim, which yet another to be added to the list, is that the tower is supposed to be Mexican surrealist? Not any of the other claims?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom