News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

dreday3

It's not about your favorite color scheme or your boyfriend's house. It's about the "Coronado" theme -- an adventure lies ahead like exploring old Mexico. It was never about 1997 any more than Indiana Jones/"Raiders of the Lost Ark" is about 1980. Indiana Jones was about the swashbuckling adventures of the 1930s serials in the exotic places inhabited in them. Everything from the Mayan pool to the colorful signage to the market was meant to take you to a place reminiscent of exploring old Mexico, but with modern utilities... just like Disney is famous for. The new theme is more like what Marriott is famous for: nice but nondescript accommodations.

And as I have said elsewhere, it makes no sense that they are making all of these nondescript adult hotels now at the same time that they are "Disneyfying" the original beautifully themed deluxe hotels with characters (even misplaced) and bars from the animated films.

As much as I hate to say it here, I think we are missing Michael Eisner at this point.

Well, actually it is about that to me. I like the new colors and the old look reminds me of the 90s and his parent's "southwestern" style house. Dated.

Nothing about Coronado ever screamed Disney to me. I actually always thought of it as the least themed of the hotels. Outside of the pool at least.

No one has to like the same thing, but you can't tell me what I'm supposed to think about it.

cosmicgirl

Point being it’s not a new color around the resort pre changes or after.
The bed runner worked inside the room in combination with the dark wood. But that doesn't mean it fits in with the exterior. Nor does it mean that I have to like it, even though I love Coronado as a whole.

Keppyslinger

Coronado Springs quickly became the resort of choice for my wife and I. We have a short stay coming up in October and I look forward to seeing what the vibe is. Last year was the first year we were not in a cabana and I will admit we missed it, but the room was still nice and we enjoyed the stay in spite of the construction. I look forward to the stay, and if the feel is not right we will try one of the other resorts.

prberk

Well, actually it is about that to me. I like the new colors and the old look reminds me of the 90s and his parent's "southwestern" style house. Dated.

Nothing about Coronado ever screamed Disney to me. I actually always thought of it as the least themed of the hotels. Outside of the pool at least.

No one has to like the same thing, but you can't tell me what I'm supposed to think about it.

I don't think you understand what I meant. You are free to like what you like, as is anyone; but the point I was making was that whether or not something reminds me of something in my personal life does not address whether or not it fits the theme, which in this case was old Mexico and adventure as associated with Coronado.

In fact I would argue that it was not supposed to scream "Disney" but "old Mexico" and "Coronado, the explorer." Just like the Polynesian was supposed to envelope you in a Polynesian world of longhouses and luaus. All, of course, with modern amenities -- the point of a themed resort. And I think the Coronado theme is now a mishmash, if not lost. So far, I see the new tower as a Marriott with Disney's prices.

dreday3

I don't think you understand what I meant. You are free to like what you like, as is anyone; but the point I was making was that whether or not something reminds me of something in my personal life does not address whether or not it fits the theme, which in this case was old Mexico and adventure as associated with Coronado.

In fact I would argue that it was not supposed to scream "Disney" but "old Mexico" and "Coronado, the explorer." Just like the Polynesian was supposed to envelope you in a Polynesian world of longhouses and luaus. All, of course, with modern amenities -- the point of a themed resort. And I think the Coronado theme is now a mishmash, if not lost. So far, I see the new tower as a Marriott with Disney's prices.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

The old colors of CS reminded me of memories of that old house - their decor was trying to evoke exactly the style you are talking about, but rather ended up looking like a Southwestern/Arizona version of old Mexico using the same color scheme as CS. That's my point. At this day and age it all looks very, very dated.
I have to say CS missed their mark (in my opinion) with evoking old Mexico. It looks more like Florida's version of Old Mexico. :) I'm not saying it's not a pretty resort, I understand the theme they were going for, but I don't think it works as well as others, like Yacht/Beach really feels like a coastal resort.

I am happy to see Coronado updating with some new colors - which honestly, is it just the sign? The rest of the resort seems untouched (outside new hotel obviously).

peter11435

The old colors of CS reminded me of memories of that old house - their decor was trying to evoke exactly the style you are talking about, but rather ended up looking like a Southwestern/Arizona version of old Mexico using the same color scheme as CS. That's my point. At this day and age it all looks very, very dated.
I am happy to see Coronado updating with some new colors - which honestly, is it just the sign? The rest of the resort seems untouched (outside new hotel obviously).
The entire resort has received and updated color scheme and several areas have received additional changes.

kevlightyear

Map has been updated:
Coronado-127 tower crop.jpeg

EDIT: Looks like I'm late. My apologies.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

I have to say CS missed their mark (in my opinion) with evoking old Mexico. It looks more like Florida's version of Old Mexico. :) I'm not saying it's not a pretty resort, I understand the theme they were going for, but I don't think it works as well as others, like Yacht/Beach really feels like a coastal resort.

Just thought I'd chime in to say that I got the same vibe.

I don't know your boyfriend (I swear I never touched him!) or his parents' house, but CS always gave me a bit of a 1990s Southwest-themed apartment complex vibe. I liked the grounds and facilities of the resort, and the US Southwest and Mexico themselves are two of my favourite places on earth. For me, though, there was just something about the resort's design that gave it that suburban apartment complex feel.

I am, though, liking what I'm seeing of the refreshes and additions so far. If the price was right, I would definitely consider booking into the tower.

DisneyGigi

As someone who has stayed here every year since 2014, I am very pleased with all of the changes.

We endured significant “growing pains” during our 2017 and 2018 trips, so I am very much looking forward to the new additions.

I belong to numerous Coronado FB groups and have been following the tower/restaurant construction pics daily for almost two years. Can’t wait to see the finished product with my own eyes in September.

So far, I like what I see.
Our first stay was also in 2014, August will mark our 7th stay here. We stayed at Old Key West in a 1 BR villa in 2017, I loved the space, but it wasn’t Coronado. I don’t know that I will stay in the Tower, but I think it fits perfectly and they did a much better job than I imagined. I just like the smaller feel of the spread out areas. Don’t care what they build or where, Coronado is home to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom