News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

SteamboatJoe

@bioreconstruct

LuvWDW2

A little off topic, but a question for you. A long time ago, I had asked why they stopped breakfast at the moderate sit down restaurants and was told that the restaurant didnt have a demand for breakfast. Obviously they never had breakfast at POR as that restaurant ALWAYS had a wait! As this was the restaurant I was talking to the manager of at the time, I told her that I had been eating breakfast at Boatwright's for many years and there was certainly a call for it. I can understand there not being a call for dinner ( or lunch for that matter) as people will be off in the parks and not want to come back to the resorts just for that, but breakfast was reasonably popular at all of the Mods. To cut that meal seems kind of foolish no? Marie

Rix currently serves breakfast. It is quite tasty too. While an ADR wouldn’t have been necessary when we went (President’s Day) it was hardly empty either. I hope they keep doing it!

wannabeBelle

Rix currently serves breakfast. It is quite tasty too. While an ADR wouldn’t have been necessary when we went (President’s Day) it was hardly empty either. I hope they keep doing it!
The last time I was there I saw a few things on that menu that looked very tasty, but didn't get a chance to get over there. I'm staying there later this year and will make it a point to get there for breakfast. Marie

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, March 16, 2019.

The connection for the bridge to the new Villa Del Lago restaurant at the patio near Maya Grill. The light poles, handrails, music speakers, and under the bridge fire sprinklers have all been installed.

The front of the main tower is getting the same decorative scrollwork installed.

Near the existing road to the Coronado Springs porte-cochere, this shelter with an undulating black roof has been installed, which matches the roof of the new tower porte-cochere. Bus transportation shelter?

Finally, there are some changes being made to the entrance sign. Here is the sign on the right side of the entrance.

Here is the sign on the left side of the entrance.

wishiwere@wdw

While it is purely anecdotal, I have never seen the Dig Site Near Full. Even then, there are still the relief pools in every other section, so it should not be of great concern. I’m personally more concerned about a moderate having three (four if you count Rix) Table Service Restaurants, when it could barely support one (two w/ Rix).
I’m guessing (?) the hope is they would gain serious attention for the convention business... as in legimate conventions, with this new tower. I’m certain this facility wasn’t even on the map for many large corporations due to the “motel” nature of the rooms. I know when we host our various conventions around the country it results in the onsite amenities being overrun with the business guests. Either way, extremely valid point that will be interesting to watch unfold.

Magic Feather

I’m guessing (?) the hope is they would gain serious attention for the convention business... as in legimate conventions, with this new tower. I’m certain this facility wasn’t even on the map for many large corporations due to the “motel” nature of the rooms. I know when we host our various conventions around the country it results in the onsite amenities being overrun with the business guests. Either way, extremely valid point that will be interesting to watch unfold.
Coronado is being invested in as the big convention hotel. Yacht is the upscale convention hotel. Grand Floridian and Contemporary’s Spaces are rarely used for any major event, excluding those run by Disney. Both have even been considered to be axed at one point or another.

Sir_Cliff

View attachment 357437

View attachment 357439

View attachment 357438

The connection for the bridge to the new Villa Del Lago restaurant at the patio near Maya Grill. The light poles, handrails, music speakers, and under the bridge fire sprinklers have all been installed.

View attachment 357440

The front of the main tower is getting the same decorative scrollwork installed.

View attachment 357441

Near the existing road to the Coronado Springs porte-cochere, this shelter with an undulating black roof has been installed, which matches the roof of the new tower porte-cochere. Bus transportation shelter?

View attachment 357442

Finally, there are some changes being made to the entrance sign. Here is the sign on the right side of the entrance.

View attachment 357443

View attachment 357444
I have to be honest and say that I'm not minding how this is coming together aesthetically. The tower seems to blend well with the Casitas section, and the notion of a tower and sprawling hotel below doesn't look too jarring from what I can see here.

bgoofy

View attachment 357437

View attachment 357439

View attachment 357438

View attachment 357440

View attachment 357441

View attachment 357442

View attachment 357443

View attachment 357444
Always great to see your photo updates, top notch!!!!

nicb88

View attachment 357437

View attachment 357439

View attachment 357438

View attachment 357440

View attachment 357441

View attachment 357442

View attachment 357443

View attachment 357444

I thought they had announced the lake restaurant was to be called 'Three Bridges Bar and Grill', but the signage is Villa Del Lago as originally intended. I wonder why?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom