News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

DisneyGigi

It wasn't necessarily the distance as much as the convenience that was the issue. When we got back from a long day in the parks and wanted to grab a quick drink using the Rapid Fill Mugs, you have to make the walk all the way to the El Centro area (and back). If the Siesta Cantina (pool bar) didn't close at 5:00, it wouldn't have been that much of an issue.
We only used the mugs in the morning, for coffee, but the bar at El Centro, was open late. We don't do the pool though, we have a pool, so not something we do at Disney. It is beautiful to take pictures of though. :)

RandySavage

It's like building the Paradise Bay hotel in the Beach Club's parking lot and marketing "This Magical new tower continues to celebrate the fun of seaside resorts!!", when in actuality it's an ambiance-killer.
paradise-pier-hotel_thumb1_VID.jpg

A most mundane example of blank-sided, suburban-hotel architecture. Just hope its rooftop won't be visible while on the Safari.

Last edited:

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, August 22. The construction site for the Coronado Springs Resort tower. In this view from the temporary bridge across the lake, you can see the old stone bridge (foreground) to the Cabanas has been removed.

IMG_9981.JPG

Cabana 9A in the background remains. The construction fence has been moved even closer to Cabana 9A, taking over the sidewalk.

IMG_9983.JPG

The view from the balcony of Cabana 9A. Most of the resort is isolated from this construction area. The lobby building is seen at the right side of the photo.

IMG_9985.JPG

In other areas of Coronado Springs Resort, the first building to the left of the lobby is closed for room renovation and exterior painting. The external pink color is being replaced with tans and browns.

IMG_9987.JPG

IMG_9989.JPG

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Timtracker post a great video last week on the resort and the construction if anyone is interested

Here's a link:

So many mispronunciations. So much misinformation. So amusing.

So making me wonder if I want to switch from a preferred Casitas 1-3 to a refurbed 7A or 8A next month.

Prince Thomas

Photo update as of Tuesday, August 22. The construction site for the Coronado Springs Resort tower. In this view from the temporary bridge across the lake, you can see the old stone bridge (foreground) to the Cabanas has been removed.

View attachment 224464

Cabana 9A in the background remains. The construction fence has been moved even closer to Cabana 9A, taking over the sidewalk.

View attachment 224465

The view from the balcony of Cabana 9A. Most of the resort is isolated from this construction area. The lobby building is seen at the right side of the photo.

View attachment 224466

In other areas of Coronado Springs Resort, the first building to the left of the lobby is closed for room renovation and exterior painting. The external pink color is being replaced with tans and browns.

View attachment 224467

View attachment 224468
Loving the new color scheme!

mrsWarren14

I will be staying here in September for the first time; hopefully the construction won't be too much of a nuisance to affect our trip. I'm really looking forward to staying here!

cosmicgirl

I will be staying here in September for the first time; hopefully the construction won't be too much of a nuisance to affect our trip. I'm really looking forward to staying here!
It's clearly a big construction site and some people will allow that to ruin their vacation, but I personally believe you decide whether it affects your trip or not (unless your room is right next to it, of course). We stayed there when they were doing the previous room refurb in 2009, and while that obviously did not include the dig site that is now on the side of the Cabanas, it did not bother us one bit to walk past the Casitas that were being emptied out. In fact, I enjoyed having the scoop on how far along they were with the refurb. How can we expect them to improve WDW and the resorts without construction? You can't get one without the other. We LOVED our stay there and would not hesitate to go back, even with all that's going on. I would, however, try my best to get a room in the Casitas to get away from the most affected area.

I hope you got a good deal (they're definitely out there for September) and have a great time.

mrsWarren14

It's clearly a big construction site and some people will allow that to ruin their vacation, but I personally believe you decide whether it affects your trip or not (unless your room is right next to it, of course). We stayed there when they were doing the previous room refurb in 2009, and while that obviously did not include the dig site that is now on the side of the Cabanas, it did not bother us one bit to walk past the Casitas that were being emptied out. In fact, I enjoyed having the scoop on how far along they were with the refurb. How can we expect them to improve WDW and the resorts without construction? You can't get one without the other. We LOVED our stay there and would not hesitate to go back, even with all that's going on. I would, however, try my best to get a room in the Casitas to get away from the most affected area.

I hope you got a good deal (they're definitely out there for September) and have a great time.
I am going with my Travel Agency for our yearly conference! I am so excited to stay here! It will be my first time at a moderate resort! I am definitely not going to let the construction mess with my trip! Hopefully I can get some good pictures of the progress to share with y'all!

BigThunderMatt

It's clearly a big construction site and some people will allow that to ruin their vacation, but I personally believe you decide whether it affects your trip or not (unless your room is right next to it, of course).

It's really not that obtrusive in real life though. You can't even see it if you're in Casitas or Ranchos unless you're right by the lake looking over at the site.

Nextinline

Just got back yesterday staying in Casitas 5. Construction of the tower was not an issue at all. Walks to the Dig Site and El Centro did not pass the construction and was far enough away that noise was no issue. Views were still good as well.

Work on Casitas 1 and 3 seemed to be winding now more and more each day. When we checked in there were many workers and vehicles along the path to El Centro. As the week went on, this dissipated to the point where it was hardly noticeable. Overall we were happy with the stay. Loved the pins too!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Just got back yesterday staying in Casitas 5. Construction of the tower was not an issue at all. Walks to the Dig Site and El Centro did not pass the construction and was far enough away that noise was no issue. Views were still good as well.

Work on Casitas 1 and 3 seemed to be winding now more and more each day. When we checked in there were many workers and vehicles along the path to El Centro. As the week went on, this dissipated to the point where it was hardly noticeable. Overall we were happy with the stay. Loved the pins too!
We were in Casitas 3 from 9/6-9/16 facing the water.
We have now spent a total of 40 nights at CSR.

While the tower construction was not that intrusive this trip, I don’t think that will be the case next year.

For that reason, we booked our BounceBack for POR in 2018, fully intending to return “home” in 2019 once all of the construction is done.

87085BD0-ABCC-4793-8772-CF7704174CEA.jpeg
6D268A39-DB60-4B75-9F4C-E73AE09F4020.jpeg

73D3089B-EECC-4C6C-B745-7C76A8FEEC3C.jpeg

And just for fun ... 7:00 pm on 9/10, just as the Irma lockdown began:
5A9011F6-0188-489B-AEEA-7AE331620BEE.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom