Coral Reef Restaurant

jchriscandy

Original Poster
Does anyone know why the coral reef was changed from 2 table service meals on the dining plan to just 1? I suspect the reason Cinderella's castle changed from 1 to 2 was due to character dining, but why change something from 2 to 1. Was there a decrease in quality?

RonAnnArbor

Yes, significantly. Do a search for Coral Reef and you will find plenty of information about the current state of Coral Reef.

yazmin182

But that's not always the case about quality. For example, Le Cellier used to be 2 Table Service points (That's what they told me on the phone when I was making my reservations last January) and they changed it to 1 table service and it's one of the best restaurants!

I have also read the reviews about Coral Reef but I figured, since I will be on the dining plan for free, I am still going to go just to experience it.

Yaz

DisneyBunny

yazmin182 said:
But that's not always the case about quality. For example, Le Cellier used to be 2 Table Service points (That's what they told me on the phone when I was making my reservations last January) and they changed it to 1 table service and it's one of the best restaurants!

I have also read the reviews about Coral Reef but I figured, since I will be on the dining plan for free, I am still going to go just to experience it.

Yaz

I had read all the reviews that told me to run for the hills, rather than book a table at the Coral Reef, but Dining is a highly subjective topic, and one person's fine cuisine, may be another's slop. I decided to book anyways and see for myself.

I was surprised. It was a nice place, with one of the best servers we had during our whole trip (we even tipped him extra beyond the tip included with the DDP) The food was good, the view was relaxing. I was happy that we decided to make up our own minds. Now this being our first trip there, we cannot attest for any changes in quality over the years. I can see why they downgraded it, since it wasn't on the level of say, the California Grill. But it was a nice place to eat, and since we were on the DDP, we didn't have to worry about "value" and whether my DH's steak or my fish entree was really "worth" what we would have paid.

I say, give it a try and make up your own minds. :wave:

JimboJones123

DisneyBunny said:
I had read all the reviews that told me to run for the hills, rather than book a table at the Coral Reef, but Dining is a highly subjective topic, and one person's fine cuisine, may be another's slop. I decided to book anyways and see for myself.

I was surprised. It was a nice place, with one of the best servers we had during our whole trip (we even tipped him extra beyond the tip included with the DDP) The food was good, the view was relaxing. I was happy that we decided to make up our own minds. Now this being our first trip there, we cannot attest for any changes in quality over the years. I can see why they downgraded it, since it wasn't on the level of say, the California Grill. But it was a nice place to eat, and since we were on the DDP, we didn't have to worry about "value" and whether my DH's steak or my fish entree was really "worth" what we would have paid.

I say, give it a try and make up your own minds. :wave:

I'm sure it has more to do with capacity than fancyness. If people wern't wanting to shoot out 2 pts for it, they weren't going to. I don't know if the menu prices changed much or not, but if Californa Grill is getting tons of DDP business, like we know they do, they won't downgrade. Other places may upgrade if they are just overbooked all the time with DDP. Its supply and demand more than anything else I'm sure. Now if they would only downgrade the Derby!!!

DisneyBunny

JimboJones123 said:
I'm sure it has more to do with capacity than fancyness. If people wern't wanting to shoot out 2 pts for it, they weren't going to. I don't know if the menu prices changed much or not, but if Californa Grill is getting tons of DDP business, like we know they do, they won't downgrade. Other places may upgrade if they are just overbooked all the time with DDP. Its supply and demand more than anything else I'm sure. Now if they would only downgrade the Derby!!!

I see your point about capacity - but what about Le Cellier? It's one of the WS's smallest yet it was downgraded. And as far as I know, it was still rather popular before the downgrade.

Dagger

JimboJones123 said:

I agree with supply and demand being a huge factor, but I'm sure food costs have something to do with it too, which might help explain a downgrade in LeCellier points?

bluejasmine

Ok maybe I am wrong but I dont remeber Le Cellier ever being 2 credits.. I went last Aug on the DP and it was 1.. I did go to CRT on the DP last year and it was only 1, I was dissapointed because I am not willing to give up 2 credits for it.. I was happy to see Coral Reef is 1 now tho and will be going in late Aug..

yazmin182

When I spoke to somone from dining on the phone last December 05, they told me that Le Cellier used to be 2 credits. I'm not sure when that was tho

CoffeeJedi

Oy, i have to read this thread TODAY!?

I just booked the Coral Reef on our free dining plan for September, but then i read this thread. Then i looked at the review on Allears to coraborate. Is it REALLY that horrible? Or is this just a very vocal minority spouting off?

It's frustrating, I've wanted to eat at this restaurant ever since i was a little kid, and have never gotten the chance. Now that i have the reservation, i find out that its going to suck. Someone pleeeeease tell me that the food was good and your waiter was courteous!

sydsmom1997

I've recently read a lot of negative reviews of it as well. I have never been, but am going to give it a try in August while on the free DDP. It's the atmosphere that I want to see most. I hope the food isn't bad though, because I love seafood. We're mostly going because the kids want to see the fish.

RonAnnArbor

If you love seafood you will not like Coral Reef. The atmosphere IS pretty and the fish tanks are nice to look at (even if you are eating their relatives)- the kids won't know the difference in the food, same kids meals as everywhere else. You sure will. Their seafood doesn't even rate at Red Lobster level, and the non seafood dishes are bland. I've warned other friends away who have chosen to ignore my advise, and came back stating it was the worst meal they had at Disney. Those reviews you are reading are recent and accurate.

DisneyBunny

CoffeeJedi said:
Oy, i have to read this thread TODAY!?

I just booked the Coral Reef on our free dining plan for September, but then i read this thread. Then i looked at the review on Allears to coraborate. Is it REALLY that horrible? Or is this just a very vocal minority spouting off?

It's frustrating, I've wanted to eat at this restaurant ever since i was a little kid, and have never gotten the chance. Now that i have the reservation, i find out that its going to suck. Someone pleeeeease tell me that the food was good and your waiter was courteous!

Like I said above, I had heard all the bad reviews and was just as nervous as you are about eating there. But I made my reservations anyways. If you've always wanted to eat there, and if you've got a FREE dining plan, what harm would it do to give it a try anyways? It's no cash out of your pocket to do so. The worst that could happen is that you agree with some folks that the food isn't to your liking, but the best that could happen is that you are surprised with the place, and may visit again. And if it does turn out poorly, at least you've got a story to tell.

I always feel that especially when it comes to dining, it's best to make up your own mind. Oh, and our server was wonderful! Helpful, courteous, even took pictures of us at our table.

Happy Eating! :wave:

JimboJones123

HOW BAD CAN IT BE??? at worst, it's like eating at Friday's??? or Applebies??? What's wrong with that. It can't be much worse than Golden Corral can it? If you are worried about the fish they have a beef and a chicken dish -- and even a vegie dish. Anybody can accidently mess up over/under cooking/seasoning. I can't believe that the fish is much worse than columbia harbour house (which is by no means bad). I can't imagine it can be as terrible as people say -- unless it's just trendy to do so.

Kaertos

I ate at the Coral Reef back in 2001 and it was awesome, better than Cinderella's Banquet Hall ( or whatever, the one in the castle...) by far. They had a special for people on the dining plan only, they called it "Surf-and-Turf Disney Style". It was a Filet Mignon and a lobster tail. best lobster I have ever had. I find it hard to believe the Coral Reef has gone that far downhill since then.

bluejasmine

I think if you have always wanted to go (like I have) you should try it for yourself.. I find that alot of the places ppl give bad reviews for I like or places ppl rave about I find unappealing. If you dont try it for yourself you'll always wonder you know? JMHO..

shoppingnut

I was very unhappy with the quality of food and service when I went a few years ago. While the atmosphere is fantastic, food is much to be desired and probably the only restaurant at disney that I have ever come out of hungry because I didn't eat most of my meal.

I don't know why they downgraded Le Cellier, but I'm glad they did, but I would have paid 2 points to eat there anyway, it is so good. I can only think that when they started the DDP, they needed to see how things would go and make adjustments along the way.

ilovepluto23

Ugh, I was planning on going to Coral Reef my next trip!
Why does it have to have such bad reviews :cry: !!!

I'm from the New Orleans area, so I'm sure if so many people say the seafood is bland...I will probably think it's completely awful! I'm used to spicy crawfish!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom