CoP to b demolished

castlecake

Original Poster
I just read a thing about CoP at a website, I think it was epiontravel.com, or something like that, anyway it says that CoP is to be demolished next year! THIS IS NO JOKE !!!!!!how could diznee do this it was walt's babay if that site is telling the truth disney has trully made a bad mistake!

Although it is sad to see a wonderful attraction such as CoP go, it is important to look toward the future of that area and what new magical attractions can be placed there....Sooner or later, all good thing must to come to an end.

WDW-Imagineer

Would you be kind enough to provide us with the web-site in which you read this?? This has long been a rumor... and unfortunately, Disney will never say anything until a couple of weeks before they close it.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by FutureImagineer
Although it is sad to see a wonderful attraction such as CoP go, it is important to look toward the future of that area and what new magical attractions can be placed there....Sooner or later, all good thing must to come to an end.

i see it just the opposite. if Disney keeps any of the original rides, they should keep this one! i don't care how low attendance is!! this was Walt's absolute FIRST!! it's historic!! it's priceless!! and now they're wanting to tear it down?! and do what with the space?! seems to me lately that their changeing of classic rides have resulted in not-so-great rides, in my humble opinion. we all know JIYI just stinks! pooh is ok, i like pooh. a lot of people don't like test track, i know...but i love it, it's one of my faves. but that was what...like back in 97 when that was finished? i'm mainly talking about after that. Mission: Space will still have to prove itself to me. buzz lightyear is ok. now you may be thinkin 'what the heck is she complaining about?!'...but whatever happened to Disney making show-stopping rides? rides like haunted mansion, splash mountain, pirates of the caribbean, and CoP? rides that we consider classics, rides that we'll never ever forget? what happened to those? has Disney just put quality on the back burner? maybe it's just me...i dunno. i just don't think disney is spending their money like they used to. and they seem to be using less animotronics in their rides. now i'm not saying that they've stopped using them completely...i'm just saying there seems to be less of them in their new rides.
back to CoP...i don't know why disney would have to tear down that ride...if they're looking for more space, they have space where the skyway place was. i know it's not much space, but still! people say 'sooner or later all good things come to an end'. that may be true with forces of nature such as friendship, life, etc. but i don't understand if someone, in this case a company, can determine and control when something is at its end, why they have to determine it at all. what i mean by that is, if a company can have the power of saying when something is over, who's twisting their arm to say it's over? who ever told them 'CoP is a good thing, but now it has to come to an end'...it doesn't HAVE to come to an end. i know Walt wanted his parks to keep up to date...but i think it's downright sinful to just throw away Walt's very first attraction! it's just wrong!
well, i can't think of anymore to say....i've probably said enough anyway...so i'm gonna step off my soapbox now, lol ;)
until next time,
~*Amy*~

castlecake

Original Poster
Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer
Would you be kind enough to provide us with the web-site in which you read this??

the website is epinions.com at the top of the screen on the right hand side you will see a little box with "find opinions on " write carousel of progress an then follow the links.

Tink

Thanks, WDWI.

I went to the site and couldn't find where it said that "CoP is to be demolished next year". Could someone clue me in?:rolleyes:

Smee

Kind of hard to believe they would demolish Walt's CoP during a year they plan to honor his 100th B-day.

CoP deserves a more fitting situation. If they ever build a Disney museum, CoP should become a wing. It speaks volumes about the genious of Walt Disney.

Jimengland

Yes CoP was Walts ride but they have already changed the ending and removed the original futuristic city (I remember reading about this somewhere). It is not at the moment Walts original idea so I say let it go.

PS. A Disney museum probably would not have visitors flocking in to see it although this is something I think has been laking from the original park that should go in (I desperately want to see it).

Skipper Timekpr

Rummor among some of the CMs have it that the space is going to be used as the cannon and load queue for the new space mountain that is... yes is on the drawing board. Supposedly it will be like the one in Paris.

Mattore

'Museum'

To all of those looking for a 'Disney Museum'... I don't know if that will ever happen. But they are opening "Walt Disney: One Man's Dream" at the studios on Oct 1st, which if you don't already know is going to be dedicated to honoring his life, with memorobilia, films, etc.

Also.. went on CoP today. It definitely is in need of some rehab (in the first scene, the wife's right eye was closed the whole time, and in another the Rover wasn't working quite right) but overall it is still a good show, and it WAS Walt's first. I don't think it will go anywhere.

goofy

Originally posted by Skipper Timekpr
Rummor among some of the CMs have it that the space is going to be used as the cannon and load queue for the new space mountain that is... yes is on the drawing board. Supposedly it will be like the one in Paris.

I thnk there are more important things than a new space mountain. It may not be a state of the art thrill ride but it is still one of the most popular rides at the park so why change it at great xpense. This does not seem like disney has its economic hat on. Use the money to build a new coater (fire mountain or whatever) then u have another e-ticket and still have space mountain which will still be very well attended. You can not tear down a ride and build the same ride with a different track layout and a few inversions. Its not right wen some attractions are crying out for money for rehab and money which could be spent on the new monorail

DONT DO IT EISNER THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And tear down CoP and u have just lost a customer!

And the way Disney are going CoP will be torn down and used as a character greeting area!!!!!!!!!!!!

markymark

Originally posted by Skipper Timekpr

Hurray!! I hope this is the case coz (as I have said before) I would love to see the DLP SM over in wdw - it is fantastic!

Kevin

Although I tend to agree with Goofy on this one (why tear down the existing Space Mountain just to build a new one when there are plenty of other places, themes and attractions which can be built). Of course, I agree the Space Mountain in Paris is fantastic but every park shouldn't be a copy of the others. Plus, I think the theme of a launch rollar coaster with lively music is already being done at Rock 'n Roller Coaster (not meaning it can't be done again) but it doesn't need to be done on Space Mountain. In my mind, Space Mountain is one of these rides that is great for families which have parents or younger kids who are afraid of more adventurous coasters ... kind of one to get your feet wet on before you move on to others. A better solution is to build a fantastic new coaster in Adventureland or better yet, Fantasyland.

While I'm talking about Goofy, I do have to say I totally disagree with his signature about being overtaken by Universal if Disney doesn't get more E-rides. I disagree. First, IOA only has a few good E-rides anyway and the overall experience is nothing over Disney. The food and entertainment at Universal are terrible and the smaller non-E-ride attractions are no comparison. Of course, I'm all for Disney getting a Spiderman-like ride ASAP but it would only be to keep Disney as a clear leader and not to barely avoid IOA. Why does everyone love Universal so much? I've been there several times and haven't really been impressed.

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by Kevin
Although I tend to agree with Goofy on this one (why tear down the existing Space Mountain just to build a new one when there are plenty of other places, themes and attractions which can be built). Of course, I agree the Space Mountain in Paris is fantastic but every park shouldn't be a copy of the others. Plus, I think the theme of a launch rollar coaster with lively music is already being done at Rock 'n Roller Coaster (not meaning it can't be done again) but it doesn't need to be done on Space Mountain. In my mind, Space Mountain is one of these rides that is great for families which have parents or younger kids who are afraid of more adventurous coasters ... kind of one to get your feet wet on before you move on to others. A better solution is to build a fantastic new coaster in Adventureland or better yet, Fantasyland.

While I'm talking about Goofy, I do have to say I totally disagree with his signature about being overtaken by Universal if Disney doesn't get more E-rides. I disagree. First, IOA only has a few good E-rides anyway and the overall experience is nothing over Disney. The food and entertainment at Universal are terrible and the smaller non-E-ride attractions are no comparison. Of course, I'm all for Disney getting a Spiderman-like ride ASAP but it would only be to keep Disney as a clear leader and not to barely avoid IOA. Why does everyone love Universal so much? I've been there several times and haven't really been impressed.

I totally agree with you. I think one of the major problems with WDW is that they are adding too many E-Rides. Now don't get me wrong, I love a good upside down rollercoaster, or freefall ride, as much as the next guy... but I don't think they belong in Disney. Sure a few should be in there, but I don't think they should be tearing down old, classical attractions just because IOA has a new roller coaster. IOA, Universal, Six Flags attract and entirely different audience than Disney does... and no matter how many "the world's fastest, highest, rides" they add, they will never, ever come close to Disney.

I do admit that MK could use another E-Ride, but why demolish a ride like COP to make room for it.... last I check, the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea site was empty. Also... modifying SM would be a sin. WDW has its own classic version of Space Mountain... and last I check, its still one of the most popular rides in WDW (ever walked onto SM??). I think one upside-down rollercoaster in WDW is one too many.

markymark

Whilst I really love the DLP SM, I can understand what you are saying. I realise that SM as it is, is a classic, and don't get me wrong I like it. Plus as you correctly say, it has to be one of the top attractions in the whole of wdw. It's just that I really dont see where they could put a new coaster in MK without spoiling the views of the place. I personally think that one in 20k lagoon would be too overpowering.

Kevin - I like IOA and to a much lesser extent USF, but they are not bad parks, for what they do. I agree that apart from the rides they have very little going for them, staffing, cleanliness, food etc are all well below Disney standards, but, if you like coasters and thrill rides, IOA is great. It is NOT Disney and never will be.

I agree with you over goofys signature, Disney World was not built up and established on thrill rides. It is rides like PoC, HM and Jungle Cruise, as well as Peter Pan and others that makes Disney World what it is. It is a place where FAMILIES go to enjoy themselves. We went to Florida last year with my wifes Sister & B-I-L and Neice. They wanted to go to IOA but didn't as their daughter was too small to go on any rides. I think this shows the difference between IOA and Disney. There is no problem with people going there, and they are good fun, but it is only a short term thing. There is none of the architecture of wdw there at all.

Goofster

Look, I'm not obsessed with Thrill rides or anything, I mean, Peter Pan was probably the coolest ride in WDW, but if you think about it, I hate to say it, but when thinking of which MK rides need major rehabs, you think of Space Mountain and Carousel of Progress. Now I don't want them to get rid of CoP, but I really do want a new Space Mountain. It'd liven the kingdom up a 'lil, and get a few older kids to like it more. The MK could use a "bigger" roller coaster, not necessarily at the expense of CoP, but since they've allready got BTMR, DLP SM would be a great addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom