Convert RockNRoller Coaster to Star Wars? I think it's a good idea

Cmdr_Crimson

I do think it needs a change, but not Star wars. Personally, I'd like it re-themed to a rock version or similar, of Fantasia.

I'd still think this would be a better band tie-in...Considering how much merchandise has been made...
972dfd53903e2e86e17cd36c27082f8c.jpg

I mean look they even have a friggin Mini golf course of them..
ad277626197f7a3978d4e91e49920fbf.jpg

Phineas

Now there is an idea I like!

Not necessarily a good idea, but one I like just the same.
Thanks-I was going with a more likely Overlay rather than an Overhaul, and I feel like they could accomplish it relatively cheaply, and have it fit organically with the movie's story.

And the characters are very "safe" and I think would fit pretty well in a WDW setting.

Personally, I find the track layout boring/uninspiring, (wasn't it bought off the shelf?) and would prefer a complete rebuild, but I'm trying to be realistic here.

PorterRedkey

Thanks-I was going with a more likely Overlay rather than an Overhaul, and I feel like they could accomplish it relatively cheaply, and have it fit organically with the movie's story.

And the characters are very "safe" and I think would fit pretty well in a WDW setting.

Personally, I find the track layout boring/uninspiring, (wasn't it bought off the shelf?) and would prefer a complete rebuild, but I'm trying to be realistic here.
It is off-the-shelf.

Brian Swan

Actually, if it remains keyed to a musical act, I think Aerosmith is a pretty solid choice. My "teen years" were in the 70s, and although I was not necessarily a huge fan, Aerosmith was an ingrained part of my popular culture. For me, and others of my generation, it's kind of a cool nostalgia trip, and the crazy, brightly colored Hollywood images flashing past in the dark are kind of like a different kind of "trip" from that era. But the band is still "edgy" enough, and still gets radio play on "alt rock" stations, to appeal to younger generations. There are not a lot of other bands that would have this kind of cross-generational appeal. The fact of the matter is that the ride has never really fit thematically into the surrounding 1930s/40s Hollywood feel. To do that, the music should be something like Benny Goodman's "Sing, Sing, Sing" - but as much as I love classic big band music, it just doesn't "go" especially well with a high-speed rollercoaster experience. You might be able to push it to the early years of rock and roll (i.e. "Rock Around the Clock"), which would still fit with the current interior theming, but it would be a pure "nostalgia" experience. I say leave it just as it is - at least until a final decision on what happens to the old Animation Courtyard area is made and then possibly re-theme it to whatever is going in there.

Rescue Ranger

A "rock version" of "Fantasia"? That is SO bad on more levels than I can count.
Well, I do not mean it quite like that. No one wants to see it butchered. I more or less just meant re-theme the ride to Fantasia where the music from the film could still work on a fast paced ride. Think more along Trans-Siberian Orchstra-ish fast paced. No vocals.

cdeev8690

I do agree that re-theming RockNRoller Coaster is in the ride's not-so-distant future, although I don't believe it's needed or a priority at the moment. The simplest resolution would be to find a new artist to feature and re-record the queue in the "recording studio" and update the music during the ride (I'd definitely keep Stephen Tyler's count down because it rules)

I'm not a fan of Aerosmith at all. Not in the slightest. But after we get off that ride, my boyfriend and I look at each other and say "You know what? Aerosmith IS kinda sick" :D Gotta love Disney's subliminal message brainwashing technique

Launchpad McQuack

Much like the need to keep Patrick Warburton in Soarin' after they update the ride/video, I will be greatly disappointed if any retheme of RnRC doesn't have Ken Marino in a nonspeaking role.

How about Elvis? He's a classic that will always have a certain "timeless" appeal, he fits a little bit better with the Sunset theming, and they could probably do something with existing footage and voiceovers with him the way they do Rod Serling in ToT. They could refurb the limos into pink Cadillacs.

CJR

Given the location's rather far from the Star Wars land, if they were to redo RnRC, and turn it into something based on a movie franchise, I'd prefer Guardians of the Galaxy over more SW. I think it'd work well right next to ToT and take the weight off the other end of the park a bit.

That said, I think it'll be in its current form for a long time yet.

JohnWD

Given the location's rather far from the Star Wars land, if they were to redo RnRC, and turn it into something based on a movie franchise, I'd prefer Guardians of the Galaxy over more SW. I think it'd work well right next to ToT and take the weight off the other end of the park a bit.

That said, I think it'll be in its current form for a long time yet.
I agree - there will be plenty of SWs at DHS, no need to change RnRC. I love Aerosmith, so I am content with keeping the current theme, but Disney does need to inject some excitement into the store - it's grown stale.

brihow

Much like the need to keep Patrick Warburton in Soarin' after they update the ride/video, I will be greatly disappointed if any retheme of RnRC doesn't have Ken Marino in a nonspeaking role.

How about Elvis? He's a classic that will always have a certain "timeless" appeal, he fits a little bit better with the Sunset theming, and they could probably do something with existing footage and voiceovers with him the way they do Rod Serling in ToT. They could refurb the limos into pink Cadillacs.

This is a legit awesome idea! I love it!

SteamboatJoe

I like the idea of reworking the ride into a new theme in the next several years as some of the other bigger projects wrap up as I don't think Aerosmith really resonates with a ton of people that much anymore (or maybe that is just me). I don't see it being a Star Wars ride due to its location for the reasons already mentioned.

Hard to imagine it being converted into a ride of any kind of modern rock artist as there really aren't any bands these days with Aerosmith-esque popularity anymore.

I really like the Guardians of the Galaxy theme that was mentioned, especially since it has a pretty great soundtrack (I know, I know....they are all songs from the same era as Aerosmith which somewhat contradicts my first paragraph). They could even keep the music theme to some degree. The only issue with that idea is location, location, location. It's hard to imagine a ride in that location which fits the theme of the area, is a Disney property, is fresh and has the ability to remain so for 10 - 20 years.

cheezbat

Not Star Wars. Anything but Star Wars.

Retheme Rock N Roller Coaster to Star Wars!
Retheme Space Mountain to Star Wars!
Retheme Buzz Lightyear to Star Wars!
Retheme Indiana Jones to Star Wars!
Retheme Magic Carpets to Star Wars!
Retheme Spaceship Earth to Star Wars!
Retheme Everest to Star Wars!
Heck, let's just make all four Parks Star Wars World!!!

I'm sure the pencil pushers have considered all of this. They did the same crap with Frozen.

What happened to original ideas and attractions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom