Conversation with John Lasseter

Missing20K

Original Poster
Came across a really neat interview with John Lasseter on the Financial Times website. Really interesting. I hope he gets more control of not just the parks, but the company in general. He really seems to have a wonderful grasp of what makes Disney, well, Disney. The characteristics of the company that make it so much different than any other multi-national corporation do not seem to be lost on him. Granted he may push the Pixar stuff a bit much, but at this point Pixar and Disney are really one and the same, we might as well get used to it. A final thought, if there is anyone currently with the company that truly attempts to re-create the atmosphere that Walt did, John Lasseter seems to be that person.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d65cc760-e35a-11dd-a5cf-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

EpcotServo

:sohappy:

Seriously! From PIXAR, to turning Disney around, to bringing Studio Ghibli Films to America, I can't thank him enough.

Kamikaze

Came across a really neat interview with John Lasseter on the Financial Times website. Really interesting. I hope he gets more control of not just the parks, but the company in general. He really seems to have a wonderful grasp of what makes Disney, well, Disney. The characteristics of the company that make it so much different than any other multi-national corporation do not seem to be lost on him. Granted he may push the Pixar stuff a bit much, but at this point Pixar and Disney are really one and the same, we might as well get used to it. A final thought, if there is anyone currently with the company that truly attempts to re-create the atmosphere that Walt did, John Lasseter seems to be that person.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d65cc760-e35a-11dd-a5cf-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

There will never be another Walt. The quicker people realize that, the better off we will be.

Missing20K

Original Poster
There will never be another Walt. The quicker people realize that, the better off we will be.

I completely agree, that is why I said he seems to be trying to re-create the same type of atmosphere and to cultivate the same the same sort of characteristics that Walt did in the past. There will certainly only be one Walt Disney, but that's not to say the current company can't or shouldn't learn from him, and utilize the most positive characteristics of his management and creative style to continue to grow all facets of the Disney company. John Lasseter, in my opinion, seems to be doing just that, or at giving it the ol' college try. He is uniquely suited to run the company in that he has such a broad background within many of the disciplines Disney either created, perfected, or completely innovated. He worked at the parks and animation department within the company, then had both the managerial and financial acumen to create Pixar and turn it into what it is today. He has ventured into TV as well with the Cars cartoon, the music business one of the few branches of the business he has not been totally immersed in at one point in his life or another.

Wow, I just realized after writing that what a man crush I have on John Lasseter. :lookaroun :zipit:

Kamikaze

Yes but if they get too far away from his vision they risk becoming General Motors in a couple decades. :brick:

I don't think even speaking about his 'vision' is appropriate. He was so far and away above anyone that Disney, or for that matter, ANY company has that it is not even worth mentioning.

As far as becoming General Motors, that won't happen. Disney has no rivals. Disney doesn't have anyone stealing business from it, selling better product (Japanese cars 10+ years ago) for cheaper prices. You can bring up Universal all you want, but Universal isn't a rival for Disney. Universal doesn't want bad things to happen to Disney, because they won't survive without WDW. Universal is happy to pick up the scraps that Disney leaves behind. They have never tried to compete directly with Disney, just take audiences that Disney doesn't cater to, and those looking for something a little different.

So unless some other company builds a gigantic vacation destination in the US, Disney won't go the way of GM.

Can quality suffer? Sure. I suppose you can say thats not 'Walt's Vision'. But some things didn't go right under Walt either. Remember that the first day at DL was a mess.
But to think that Lasseter, Steve Jobs, or anyone else can do anything to remotely even rival Walt is crazy. I would say that Jobs is far and away the biggest visionary around, and his 'vision' is pretty much limited to creating new versions of things already created, and plussing them. iPod, MacBooks, iPhone, iTunes, these are all examples of this. He doesn't have the vision like Walt did to completely go outside the box.

Now, I'm not saying he was perfect. In fact, if he had not died, he would have bankrupt the company building E.P.C.O.T. and we wouldn't have this message board today. But just the fact that he saw the idea of E.P.C.O.T. as important back then shows how far above and beyond everyone else he was.

Animaniac93-98

They may not have Walt's vision but can we at least have someone who gives a damn about the company (unlike Bob, Jay or Phil)? I think that's why people like John, he genuinely cares about Disney more so than many other people in the company seem to be, and we (the fan community) like the idea of someone caring about Disney as much as we do.

Kamikaze

They may not have Walt's vision but can we at least have someone who gives a damn about the company (unlike Bob, Jay or Phil)? I think that's why people like John, he genuinely cares about Disney more so than many other people in the company seem to be, and we (the fan community) like the idea of someone caring about Disney as much as we do.

I seem to remember this same 'fan' community wanting Iger in and Eisner out. Buyer's remorse? You (plural - the fans) had the single person who ran the company as well (better in some respects) as Walt did. He was in the position that you want that person to be in, and there was an uprising to get him out. I seem to remember the smarter people saying that getting rid of Eisner was a bad move.

Enigma

Account Suspended
I seem to remember this same 'fan' community wanting Iger in and Eisner out. Buyer's remorse? You (plural - the fans) had the single person who ran the company as well (better in some respects) as Walt did. He was in the position that you want that person to be in, and there was an uprising to get him out. I seem to remember the smarter people saying that getting rid of Eisner was a bad move.

I wanted Eisner out but because Iger was his choice I was not a fan. However, Iger has always been a neutral figure. Steve Jobs and John Lasseter are the people most of the fan community wanted in charge.

HMF

I love John Lasseter...too bad he hates WDW or at least doesn't care about it in the slightest.
I wold'nt say that. The problem is DCA needs help and he needs to focus on that and we got stuck with Tom "Video Screens Rule" Fitzgerald.

djkidkaz

I wold'nt say that. The problem is DCA needs help and he needs to focus on that and we got stuck with Tom "Video Screens Rule" Fitzgerald.

For once I agree with Enigma. Lassetter is a Disneyland guy. Thats where his heart is. It would be if I was running the company, my allegiance for the best stuff would be to "plus" WDW because that is what I grew up with and think is the best. Im more familiar with the good and the bad of those parks and it would be harder for me to make decisions on DL or parks overseas. I think Lassetter would put to much focus on Disneyland, but I think he would be good for trying to get little things back like park specific merchandise.

imamouse

Nice interview. I appreciate Lasseter's passion. I also find it ironic that the website for his winery is nothing but a splash page with this at the bottom:

New website and online shop coming soon (Mid November 2008)

Seems WDW projects aren't the only ones to fall behind deadlines.

Enigma

Account Suspended
For once I agree with Enigma. Lassetter is a Disneyland guy. Thats where his heart is. It would be if I was running the company, my allegiance for the best stuff would be to "plus" WDW because that is what I grew up with and think is the best. Im more familiar with the good and the bad of those parks and it would be harder for me to make decisions on DL or parks overseas. I think Lassetter would put to much focus on Disneyland, but I think he would be good for trying to get little things back like park specific merchandise.

The thing is I was born and raised next to Disneyland and love the park but I also love WDW. As a disney fan and employee, Lasseter should be concerned with the quality control of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World and right now the florida parks are not up to snuff!

jt04

I don't think even speaking about his 'vision' is appropriate. He was so far and away above anyone that Disney, or for that matter, ANY company has that it is not even worth mentioning.

I don't know, I'm thinking to NOT speak about his vision and legacy is a formula for disaster. Not saying anyone including JL can replace him but he set a standard those who follow should try to live up to and not treat the company as their personal ATM machine. And I don't mean JL or Iger or Eisner but those who purposely (and I mean purposely) stomp on Walt Disney's legacy.

Amen, Amen, Amen

The thing is I was born and raised next to Disneyland and love the park but I also love WDW. As a disney fan and employee, Lasseter should be concerned with the quality control of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World and right now the florida parks are not up to snuff!

They are pumping huge amounts of money into fixing long neglected infrastructure so they deserve credit for that. I also think the DVC's are a great idea. But the thing we have going for us is that to sell DVC's they are going to have to also add new attractions. People expect that and I think after DCA phase 1 is set, WDW will be next for some nice adds. It's always been cyclical. Years of major additions followed by years of modest growth. Nothing of real note there.

HMF

Trust me! DCA needs it more.

Enigma

Account Suspended
They are pumping huge amounts of money into fixing long neglected infrastructure so they deserve credit for that. I also think the DVC's are a great idea. But the thing we have going for us is that to sell DVC's they are going to have to also add new attractions. People expect that and I think after DCA phase 1 is set, WDW will be next for some nice adds. It's always been cyclical. Years of major additions followed by years of modest growth. Nothing of real note there.

I PROMISE you DVC was one of the dumbest ideas ever concieved by Disney and will cripple them in the long run. DVC may have been a "sucessful" business during the last 8 years of artifical bubbles and a "IM RICH!" fealing of the general public but that time has come and gone.

Also, I don't think you understand how companies work. This idea that first Disneyland gets money, then once there done with that park they go to WDW one at a time isn't how its done. Each park has its own budget and can request more funds from the larger company. Each park must be looked at as a seperate business and they constantly need to have enough new attractions/things to see to keep the parks fresh and to keep guests coming back/spreading good word of mouth. WDW has neglected this duty and will pay for it in the long run when the reputation erodes (it has already begun) and attendance begins take big declines.

jt04

I PROMISE you DVC was one of the dumbest ideas ever concieved by Disney and will cripple them in the long run. DVC may have been a "sucessful" business during the last 8 years of artifical bubbles and a "IM RICH!" fealing of the general public but that time has come and gone.

Also, I don't think you understand how companies work. This idea that first Disneyland gets money, then once there done with that park they go to WDW one at a time isn't how its done. Each park has its own budget and can request more funds from the larger company. Each park must be looked at as a seperate business and they constantly need to have enough new attractions/things to see to keep the parks fresh and to keep guests coming back/spreading good word of mouth. WDW has neglected this duty and will pay for it in the long run when the reputation erodes (it has already begun) and attendance begins take big declines.

First, you will see a merger eventually of all things related to disney travel. DVC, Cruise lines, adventures and who knows, maybe even an airline will all merge. Travel has always been around no matter what the economy is doing. Flexible business models are the key. Sometimes people will only be able to afford a weekend at their local Disney destination and some years they will travel half way around the world on a Disney Adventure on a Disney airline. The idea that the economy will never recover is absurd in the extreme.

Second, I am not talking about funding in this instance. WDW is pumping money into the DVC's and infrastructure/rehabs. The money is there it is just not being focused on new attractions but rather other areas at WDW. But the main reason is, Imagineering is focused on other aspects right now and there is only so many resources (and brain power) to draw from and they are focused on DCA and "other" new build outs.

WDW's build outs are cyclical just like the economy.

Lastly, Iger and company are not fools. They have a plan to fill those DVC's and the whole program has very long term goals. People who sell out at a low price may sorely regret that decision in the future.

This is all my opinion and so you have to change my mind with facts not transparent vendettas aimed squarely at Disney managers. That act is played out. Just facts please, no spin.

WDW1974

First, you will see a merger eventually of all things related to disney travel. DVC, Cruise lines, adventures and who knows, maybe even an airline will all merge. Travel has always been around no matter what the economy is doing. Flexible business models are the key. Sometimes people will only be able to afford a weekend at their local Disney destination and some years they will travel half way around the world on a Disney Adventure on a Disney airline. The idea that the economy will never recover is absurd in the extreme.

Yep. It is.

Just as absurd as the idea of Disney owning an airline is.

Where do you pull these ideas out of? (no, please, don't tell us)

Disney will NEVER be in the airline business.

Second, I am not talking about funding in this instance. WDW is pumping money into the DVC's and infrastructure/rehabs. The money is there it is just not being focused on new attractions but rather other areas at WDW. But the main reason is, Imagineering is focused on other aspects right now and there is only so many resources (and brain power) to draw from and they are focused on DCA and "other" new build outs.

The money being 'invested' in DVC has ZERO to do with what is/isn't done in the parks. The budget to tear down Contemporary North and build a giant BLT in its place doesn't come from the same place as the 'add an EPCOT attraction' fund anymore than it comes from the 'pay Susan Lucci fund' or the 'greenlight the Lone Ranger film fund' or the 'buy BCS rights fund' ... I understand you are trying to sound like you know what you're talking about, but in terms of how a major media company like Disney allocates investment and reinvestment you are way off ... they aren't focused on DCA so they can't do anything at EPCOT or DAK or HKDL.

Lastly, Iger and company are not fools. They have a plan to fill those DVC's and the whole program has very long term goals. People who sell out at a low price may sorely regret that decision in the future.

Iger is certainly no fool, but some of his top execs are. They are following faulty business models that no longer work (the cut-cut-cut, outsource, every locale must reach projections set by consultants 1990s model comes to mind).

And when it comes to DVC, Disney in no way, shape or form saw the economy crashing, let alone as hard and as far as it has.

They just thought 'If you build it, there will be a line of bumpkin tourists with $15,000-50,0000 checks waiting to sign up.'

Well, you're more likely to see bread lines in 2009 than you are lines to buy timeshares.

But I don't know what I am talking about ... I just know that all planning for future WDW DVCs (next up was Grand Flo) has halted and that Disney is hedging on the Tahoe resort that was considered a lock last year at this time.

This is all my opinion and so you have to change my mind with facts not transparent vendettas aimed squarely at Disney managers. That act is played out. Just facts please, no spin.

I'm not sure you'd know the facts if some of your pals from Pixie Hollow flew it and sprinkled them over you with some pixie dust!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom