Controversy? Contemporary and Lyft/Uber

wplong1

Premium Member
What years where this? We stayed at the Contemporary a few years starting with 1996. They did not do that at that time. I don't ever remember being asked for proof of stay to board any Disney transportation. I always saw that you were able to use the transportation with your ticket, but they never check that either.
I was in WDW in 1989 on a high school senior trip. A resort card was definitely required to ride the resort monorail when I was there.

BASS

So I've been trying to decide on a resort for my mom's retirement trip next May and the Contemporary was on our short list. But many a thread has been posting advice on trying to get to rope drop early by encouraging guests from other resorts/properties to Lyft/Uber over to the Contemporary and use the Walkway over to MK. I have to admit after hearing all this that I am not as enthusiastic to stay here as I once was. I feel like this is a benefit for guests who are staying at the Contemporary or who have dining reservations. It honestly irks me that so many people are using resort locations that are close to parks as loop-holes to avoid waiting in line for buses/Skyliner/designated Lyft/Uber drop-off/pick-up locations. Does anybody else feel like this? I know there will be a lot of comments opposing this view. But I feel that if I'm paying a premium for the location of easy walkway access, then it should be limited to those who have actual reservations of some sort at the resort!

Don't overthink it. Yes, that will happen, as well as folks parking at the Contemporary and walking over. But I would not let it factor your decision in any way. Not only is it entirely out of your control (and perhaps Disney's), the likelihood is that it will not affect you; you likely won't even be able to identify a single individual on the walkway that was there "illicitly."

Chi84

Premium Member
Don't overthink it. Yes, that will happen, as well as folks parking at the Contemporary and walking over. But I would not let it factor your decision in any way. Not only is it entirely out of your control (and perhaps Disney's), the likelihood is that it will not affect you; you likely won't even be able to identify a single individual on the walkway that was there "illicitly."
I agree with this wholeheartedly. If you go to Disney looking to be bothered by people doing something they shouldn't or worried about others "gaming the system," it's going to negatively weigh on your trip. I've always found it more enjoyable to keep a positive attitude and try not to worry about something that may never happen.

The Mom

Premium Member

The parking all day might have an impact on guests arriving for check-in later in the day. I know that I've had to park way out in a back lot (or use valet parking) because all of the closer spots in the main lot were full - only to see them all empty out at park closing.

But people being dropped off? Eh. It wouldn't bother me.

MickeyLuv'r

The parking all day might have an impact on guests arriving for check-in later in the day. I know that I've had to park way out in a back lot (or use valet parking) because all of the closer spots in the main lot were full - only to see them all empty out at park closing.

But people being dropped off? Eh. It wouldn't bother me.
We often do split stays, and tend to leave our car at our AM hotel if possible. We often don't move our car to our 2nd hotel until late at night. It is less time consuming to stow our stuff with our AM hotel bell services most of the time.

Last summer, the main parking lot of CR was closed off to hotel guests for most/much of our stay. That was due to special events for the opening of the new Star Wars land. The fun part was one night we saw lots of folks arriving in rather elaborate cosplay costumes. I mean head-to-toe blue Aayla Secura! The less fun part was that the parking lot never got full. It just sat mostly empty; reserved in case event attendees wanted to park their cars, but few of them did.

On the first day, when we arrived, multiple CM's made semi-vague comments about how the hotel sometimes close of the parking lot to hotel guests when the convention center hosts big events. I didn't pay much attention because they didn't specify the parking lot would be closed during our stay. They just said the parking lot 'often closes' during big events, and sometimes it inconveniences guests. The parking lot was open when we checked in. I think it wasn't until the 2nd or 3rd day of our stay that the gate wouldn't open when we tried to park. There was no notice, nor did the security tell us it was closed...just the 2 vague statements from the CM's on the day we arrived, and the gate to the lot wouldn't open. (We later asked.)

The CM comments partly only caught my attention at all because two CM's oddly made almost the same comments. Their comments initially appeared to be a weird coincidence. Maybe it had come up during a staff meeting? We knew the land was opening, but it didn't occur to us SW events would be held all the way over at CR.

This was the week leading up to August 29th. Later, we swapped to Gran Destino, which was clearly holding pre-opening SW press events. The whole hallway near convention hall was transformed/decorated to look like SW. That was probably the coolest thing we saw that week. (We had no trouble finding parking at Gran Destino, right next to the building, and I wouldn't say the lot right in front of the tower is all that huge.)

Now plenty of times we've seen the valet parking rows of CR clear out at park close! Or at least they did in the before times.

Last edited by a moderator:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We often do split stays, and tend to leave our car at our AM hotel if possible. We often don't move our car to our 2nd hotel until late at night. It is less time consuming to stow our stuff with our AM hotel bell services most of the time.

Last summer, the main parking lot of CR was closed off to hotel guests for most/much of our stay. That was due to special events for the opening of the new Star Wars land. The fun part was one night we saw lots of folks arriving in rather elaborate cosplay costumes. I mean head-to-toe blue Aayla Secura! The less fun part was that the parking lot never got full. It just sat mostly empty; reserved in case event attendees wanted to park their cars, but few of them did.

On the first day, when we arrived, multiple CM's made semi-vague comments about how the hotel sometimes close of the parking lot to hotel guests when the convention center hosts big events. I didn't pay much attention because they didn't specify the parking lot would be closed during our stay. They just said the parking lot 'often closes' during big events, and sometimes it inconveniences guests. The parking lot was open when we checked in. I think it wasn't until the 2nd or 3rd day of our stay that the gate wouldn't open when we tried to park. There was no notice, nor did the security tell us it was closed...just the 2 vague statements from the CM's on the day we arrived, and the gate to the lot wouldn't open. (We later asked.)

The CM comments partly only caught my attention at all because two CM's oddly made almost the same comments. Their comments initially appeared to be a weird coincidence. Maybe it had come up during a staff meeting? We knew the land was opening, but it didn't occur to us SW events would be held all the way over at CR.

This was the week leading up to August 29th. Later, we swapped to Gran Destino, which was clearly holding pre-opening SW press events. The whole hallway near convention hall was transformed/decorated to look like SW. That was probably the coolest thing we saw that week. (We had no trouble finding parking at Gran Destino, right next to the building, and I wouldn't say the lot right in front of the tower is all that huge.)

Now plenty of times we've seen the valet parking rows of CR clear out at park close! Or at least they did in the before times.
Considering they charge $25 a night to park at the CR, they'd be in quite a customer service quandary if they tried to deny resort guests access to the parking lot.

The Mom

Premium Member

If the parking lot was closed to hotel guests, where did they park?

nickys

Premium Member
I have never stayed at that particular resort, but maybe it has a main parking area(near the front) and another one less convenient? Had to be somewhere to park.
I’m sure I posted this earlier, but we have been directed to a CM parking lot before, and we were also given free valet parking - which we were told was over at the MK cast parking. Sure enough the next morning we saw our hire car being driven back in through the security gate! We’d (obviously) thought they were joking the evening before.

MickeyLuv'r

Considering they charge $25 a night to park at the CR, they'd be in quite a customer service quandary if they tried to deny resort guests access to the parking lot.
Um, that's exactly what happened.

Paid guests - us - weren't allowed to park in the main part of the overnight Guest parking lot.

If you know the CR parking lot, it is the portion that has a separate gate. When entering CR, it is a right turn by the security booth onto Contemporary Drive, then a left into the lot. Overnight guests had to park in the small perimeter lot: right at security booth onto Contemporary Drive, then a second right, and it runs adjacent to World Drive. The lot to the left of security is normally for Bay Lake Tower guests, and we weren't supposed to use the far lot (past convention center).

Yes, we were still charged $25.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Um, that's exactly what happened.

Paid guests - us - weren't allowed to park in the main part of the overnight Guest parking lot.

If you know the CR parking lot, it is the portion that has a separate gate. When entering CR, it is a right turn by the security booth onto Contemporary Drive, then a left into the lot. Overnight guests had to park in the small perimeter lot: right at security booth onto Contemporary Drive, then a second right, and it runs adjacent to World Drive. The lot to the left of security is normally for Bay Lake Tower guests, and we weren't supposed to use the far lot (past convention center).

Yes, we were still charged $25.
We would be having words about that.

Ah. So you still got to park at the CR, just not in close. Not as much ammo for a complaint, then.

MickeyLuv'r

If the parking lot was closed to hotel guests, where did they park?

The tiny far lot that runs adjacent to World drive. (see my above post).

We weren't supposed to park in the lot that's past the convention center (not that we would have wanted to park over there). nor were we supposed to park in the lot that is for Bay Lake Tower guests (by tennis courts). The other possible option - if we couldn't find a spot- was the other small lot that's also far from everything, and sandwiched between Contemporary Drive and World Drive (left past security).

In other words, the two furthest parking lots at CR.

We didn't complain,, but it was sub-par, and the hotel still charged us $25 parking fee.

Dare I say, five years ago, WDW was a bit more service oriented. If they had to close a parking lot, they'd - at a minimum - inform paid guests of the closure.

MickeyLuv'r

Ah. So you still got to park at the CR, just not in close. Not as much ammo for a complaint, then.
I don't know if I'm conveying this well. We didn't complain about it, but it was a little sub-par, IMO. Having stayed a CR a number of times, the lot with the security gate is just normally where overnight tower guests park, and where they are directed to park. It is reasonable to expect to park there.

The two hotel CM's that mentioned the lot being closed, talked indirectly in the sense they didn't say the lot was going to be closed that week, but they were both direct in saying they didn't like the lots being closed. In the moment, I didn't understand why they brought it up, but it was clear they were trying to be open - in the sense of saying they didn't like when the lots were closed off (to overnight guests). It just seemed like an odd commentary, especially when the 2nd CM randomly started talking about the same topic.

(One thing I like about CR is the people who work there. They tend to be somewhat frank. They'll discuss the good/great of WDW, but also sometimes the ways they think WDW could be better.)

Having worked in the service industry myself, I'm generally disinclined to raise complaints, especially to people I respect. The folks at CR generally work hard to make our stay enjoyable, and their honesty is part of that. Closing the lot wasn't their decision, they were just caught in the middle. When we came upon the closed gate, I put two and two together. We also agreed to do the CM's the small courtesy of not complaining.

MickeyLuv'r

If the lot is farther away, I don't think it's reasonable to charge full price.
Partly, I agree with you.

At a minimum, CR probably should have taken one day off our bill, as a basic courtesy. In years past, many times over, WDW hotel staff has done stuff like that, without ever having to be asked.

As I said, the upside was getting to see all the cool SW costumes. And overall, the CR are very nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom