Controversy? Contemporary and Lyft/Uber

reptar77

That's what I remember too. The CMs were holding a rope partially across the resort monorail entrance telling people it was for resort guests only and they did look at our card. I suspect this only happened at closing, but as I said once we started staying at non-monorail resorts, we never felt the need to use the resort monorail to get back to the TTC. The express monorail line, even when it was backed up, seemed to move a lot faster.
That is my recollection also. MK closing only. I kind of miss those days.

JIMINYCR

If it was enough of a concern that it caused a jam on the walk over, or increased the admittance lines to the parks and kept me out I'd think it was unfair. But not enough people are using it to make it an impediment to me as a Contemp resort guest.

jaklgreen

The resort monorail required a pass from the actual resort to board. The express monorail was for everyone.
What years where this? We stayed at the Contemporary a few years starting with 1996. They did not do that at that time. I don't ever remember being asked for proof of stay to board any Disney transportation. I always saw that you were able to use the transportation with your ticket, but they never check that either.

Chi84

Premium Member
What years where this? We stayed at the Contemporary a few years starting with 1996. They did not do that at that time. I don't ever remember being asked for proof of stay to board any Disney transportation. I always saw that you were able to use the transportation with your ticket, but they never check that either.
It was in the early years for us, which would have been well before 1996. Our first stay at the Contemporary was either 1986 or 1987. Then we stayed there a few more trips until Disney started building the moderates. I think Caribbean Beach was our first on-property resort stay other than the Contemporary and that was (maybe) 1990.

As other posters said, it may have just been at park closing or when it was very busy. Once we stopped staying at the Contemporary, we didn’t use the resort monorail very often. So our experience with this would have been somewhere between 1986 and 1990.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

Original Poster
The stay I remember them doing this was marathon week Jan. 2008. That week marathon butted up very close to New Years (I think the race was the 5th/6th)—we were hoping some of the Christmas decor would still be up since we were arriving on like the 3rd. It was specifically at closing.

correcaminos

My last year where I remember having to show proof of resort stay for specific transportation was 1995. I'm sure during super busy times they might still remind people not to use resort transportation if not staying at a resort

LastoneOn

Really?? I mean, REALLY???

Limiting pools, some of that to hotel guests is one thing, but a CROSSWALK?????

Wait until you discover that on a VIP or Backstage tour there will be innocent bystanders standing around listening to YOUR host talk.

nickys

Premium Member

Wait until you discover that on a VIP or Backstage tour there will be innocent bystanders standing around listening to YOUR host talk.
When I did KTTK we all had headsets so the guide didn’t need to talk very loudly at all. Even on the Discovering World Showcase, when for 3 hours there was no one else around at all we had headsets.

But even so, I agree with you!

TrainsOfDisney

What does it solve anyways? There will be a line at the entrance, and a line everywhere you go in the park. If crowds of people bother you, Disney world is not the place for you. Ha.

LastoneOn

When I did KTTK we all had headsets so the guide didn’t need to talk very loudly at all. Even on the Discovering World Showcase, when for 3 hours there was no one else around at all we had headsets.

But even so, I agree with you!
It works pretty good. Same in some museum tours too.

MickeyLuv'r

I don't think it was the sidewalk itself they were worried about, but the security checkpoint located on said sidewalk getting overly backed up.

That said, the parks now supposedly have new, improved rapid security scanners, so the security checkpoints - at least the ones with the newest scanners should be much faster. If anything, as a small side checkpoint the CR sidewalk will likely be one of the last to get the new rapid scanners.

MickeyLuv'r

What does it solve anyways? There will be a line at the entrance, and a line everywhere you go in the park. If crowds of people bother you, Disney world is not the place for you. Ha.
I'm not the OP, but - in the before times - a long security line at HS could absolutely make a significant difference. It could = getting a BG or not getting a BG and no RotR.

Over big holiday weeks, the security line back up at MK around rope Drop time could be significant.

If I want to get to MK for RD from CR, we could leave the hotel as late as 8:40am, and still easily make a 9am RD, and be one of the first in line for most attractions. For me, that could mean easily an extra 45minutes of sleep or more every night. Pop to MK via bus takes a lot longer than 10 minutes.

I also gather you don't make many dining reservations? Long commutes can also = not being on time for dining. not showing or dining = not getting seated (in a timely manner), getting charged a no-show fee, etc. If you planned dinner at Cali Grill during the fireworks, but didn't get seated on time to see them, that could take a lot of plus out of paying $300+ to eat at Cali Grill.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm not the OP, but - in the before times - a long security line at HS could absolutely make a significant difference. It could = getting a BG or not getting a BG and no RotR.

Over big holiday weeks, the security line back up at MK around rope Drop time could be significant.

If I want to get to MK for RD from CR, we could leave the hotel as late as 8:40am, and still easily make a 9am RD, and be one of the first in line for most attractions. For me, that could mean easily an extra 45minutes of sleep or more every night. Pop to MK via bus takes a lot longer than 10 minutes.

I also gather you don't make many dining reservations? Long commutes can also = not being on time for dining. not showing or dining = not getting seated (in a timely manner), getting charged a no-show fee, etc. If you planned dinner at Cali Grill during the fireworks, but didn't get seated on time to see them, that could take a lot of plus out of paying $300+ to eat at Cali Grill.
I agree but I don’t see how letting others use the sidewalk causes any of the above issues. Has anyone ever seen a significant line at the Contemporary checkpoint?

MickeyLuv'r

So I've been trying to decide on a resort for my mom's retirement trip next May and the Contemporary was on our short list. But many a thread has been posting advice on trying to get to rope drop early by encouraging guests from other resorts/properties to Lyft/Uber over to the Contemporary and use the Walkway over to MK. I have to admit after hearing all this that I am not as enthusiastic to stay here as I once was. I feel like this is a benefit for guests who are staying at the Contemporary or who have dining reservations. It honestly irks me that so many people are using resort locations that are close to parks as loop-holes to avoid waiting in line for buses/Skyliner/designated Lyft/Uber drop-off/pick-up locations. Does anybody else feel like this? I know there will be a lot of comments opposing this view. But I feel that if I'm paying a premium for the location of easy walkway access, then it should be limited to those who have actual reservations of some sort at the resort!
To answer your question, I think is this a total non-issue, and we have stayed at CR a number of times.

As someone else posted, there's no spot to drop people off outside of security, and security probably isn't letting them in to do this. If they did allow Uber to drop off guests at the lobby, I don't think it would make much difference. WDW would stop allowing it if it did become an issue. There used to be some folks who paid to valet at CR for the day, but mostly just folks who also have AM dining ADR's. (So not likely to be at RD at MK.)

A bigger concern will be to see if MK's longer park hours return. If MK isn't open late, and no park hopping, then walking to MK is far less of a benefit than it once was. A second bigger concern is whether the fireworks return by then or not. If no fireworks, then being within view of MK is less of a benefit, especially if RotR still has boarding groups. Being close to HS is a better benefit than being close to MK.

Where CR is a big plus, is getting to ADR's at the monorail resorts, especially if someone in your group has limited mobility.

MickeyLuv'r

I agree but I don’t see how letting others use the sidewalk causes any of the above issues. Has anyone ever seen a significant line at the Contemporary checkpoint?
I agree, this is a non-issue. I've been at CR over multiple busy weeks and never seen a long line at that security check point.

I was however, appreciative of avoiding the huge security mobs we have seen say- of folks coming from the bus stop area.

Last year, getting stuck in a NOT MOVING security line did make me late to a reservation in Epcot, and not just any reservation but one of the few special event reservations I have ever made. We were held up for over half an hour! It was awful. We thought we'd arrived plenty early as it was well past RD, but security was just not letting folks enter the park.

Luckily, the Epcot folks waited (a few minutes) for us. I felt horrible being late, but there was nothing we could do. It just was so much not my fault.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom