Contemporary Vs AKL

MichRX7

Premium Member
Ok, we are thinking about saving up for a huge trip to WDW and the wife and I are not in agreement. I want to stay at the Contemporary (I've been going since the early 70's and have always wanted to stay there since the first time I passed through on the monorail) and she wants to stay at AKL.

Now, I don't want to pull WDW Seniority on her since she's only been going since 1996 (when we first met of course) because she's my wife and well I love her, but I have always dreamed of spending a week in the Contemporary on the MK side.

She thinks it would be more fun to see Giraffe's walking by in the morning. I think the transportation will be more of a problem from AKL.

Can you help us decide which one is right for us? Anyone stay in both that can compare contrast? Usually we drag the Airstream down and stay in Ft Wilderness just to give you some background.

Thanks! :sohappy:

crazygirley

Hello! Wow! Some conflicting decisions. Naturally, I would say stay at AKL, but you make some great points. Staying on the MK side of the tower at Contemporary would be unforgettable. I am sure that if I was offered the chance to stay in one of those rooms, I TOTALLY would...even though I am a die hard AKL fan.

There are many great amenities at AKL...and no, transportation is not a problem at all. In fact, it is sort of a convienience being on your own bus line. Waking up to the animals is nice, as is watching them eat, play, run...etc. The ambiance is incredible. It's a one of a kind experience. So is watching Wishes from the comfort of your own balcony. It's a toss up and is going to be a hard decision. Has your wife ever been to WDW? If not, there is no question that you should stay at the Contemporary. I have always wanted to stay in a tower room at Contemporary...and for a WEEK? Wow! Don't pass it up if you have the money!!!

Oh, and you're from Fenton...? I'm over in West Bloomfield! How about this crazy weather?

Upvote 0

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yep, wife has been almost yearly since we met six+ years ago. Like I said we always stay in FTW with the Airstream, but now we've decided to try out a bit more luxury.

Thanks for the insight on AKL, I'm hoping a few more people respond. As for the weather, I think I should have taken the canoe to work this morning instead of the RX7. ;)

Upvote 0

crazygirley

Originally posted by MichRX7
As for the weather, I think I should have taken the canoe to work this morning instead of the RX7. ;)
Yeah! I live a few blocks up from a lake, and one road is completley under water! It always floods, no matter how much/little it rains, so it's not strange. But everything else...wow!

Hey...this is off topic, but ever camped at Proud Lake? I'm thinking about it, but can't find much about it!

Upvote 0

barnum42

I've not stayed at either, but I have a good nose around both of them and AKL gets my vote - but then I love AK.

There is another option - split the stay between both hotels, start the week in one and finish in the other.

Upvote 0

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry, never camped at Proud Lake. It's close enough to me I might as well stay in my backyard. :lol:

I thought about splitting the week like that, but then I'm not sure how my wife will feel about packing everything back up dragging the tired kids over to another hotel mid-week. Anyone ever done this with three kids?

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

A couple of things jump to my mind right away...

How much are you planning on saving up for?

There's about a $50+/night difference in a Tower room at contemporary vs a savannah view room at AKL. There are discounts you may be able to get (annual pass would be a pretty good option to investigate for this trip) but because the AKL rooms are generally smaller, they will almost always cost less than contemporary.

How much time are you planning on spending in your room at night?

My wife and I got a room at Boardwalk Inn for a week for our anniversary a few years back. We thought it would be all great to watch Reflections of Earth from our balcony at our room. In the 6 nights we were there, we never once saw that show from our room. It was just too easy to stay at Epcot and watch the show from right on the lagoon railing and then walk back to our room. I suspect that we would end up doing the same with Wishes if we were in the contemporary. On the flip side, we spent every morning on our balcony with coffee and breakfast rolls looking out at Spaceship Earth.

So for us, the AKL experience would probably be better.

There are other personal preference items to think of. Both have great food. AKL has no lake or boating activities like Contemporary does. AKL magically transports you to the plains of Africa with it's theaming. Contemporary, while historically significant to WDW, is just a modern Disney hotel with a theaming that some think is not so magical.

But that monorail thing just cool man!

Hope it helps,
Enjoy the trip!

Upvote 0

barnum42

Originally posted by MichRX7
Sorry, never camped at Proud Lake. It's close enough to me I might as well stay in my backyard. :lol:

I thought about splitting the week like that, but then I'm not sure how my wife will feel about packing everything back up dragging the tired kids over to another hotel mid-week. Anyone ever done this with three kids?
How about you leave the family for an hour or two in Magic Kingdom then nip back to hotel 1 and arrange for the luggage to be transferred to hotel 2 where you check in then rejoin them at Magic Kingdom so they don't have to faff about with the move and check in process.

You both get to stay in the hotel you want to, and you get a break from the kids for a little while :animwink:

Upvote 0

swimmom

Tough choice, but if I had to chose between Contemporary & AKL, I would chose the Contemporary. Of course this is just my preference. I like how close it is to MK and the other resorts for resort hopping for dinner, etc. And although it's not close to Epcot, it's just a monorail ride away. I also prefer the lake and watersports available at the Contemporary.

If my husband & I were up against this situation, I would probably opt to split the stay at both resorts.

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

Well I've stayed at both and it's a tough choice. You and your wife are both right, the location and convenience of the Contemporary is incredible, and Giraffes walking by your window at the AKL is a magical experience!

I'm not much help at all!:lol: I've split hotels with two kids. Packing is a bit of a pain but it might be worth it to experience both these incredible hotels!

I'll contrast what I can think of:

Rooms - Contemporary's are MUCH bigger. Both are nicely themed in a totally different way.

Transportation - Contemporary's got AKL beat easy. No matter how often busses run, it's no comparison to the number of options you have (walk to MK, Monorail, busses) at the Contemporary.

Restaurants - Both have excellent expensive choices. Contemporary is the only one with a character meal. The food courts are about the same size, I'd give a slight edge to selection at AKL.

Pools - The Contemporary has a very nice pool and a jumping water play area. I would definitely choose the AKL pool though. It's beautifully themed, surrounded by lush greenery, zero entry, and the hot tubs are tucked away in the trees. The giraffes often come eat right by the pool.

Activities - The Contemporary has the water mice, parasailing, etc. The AKL concierge level has some neat safari options. All of the above are extra costs. I didn't see any extra free activities at the Contemporary but AKL had tons of free extra activities - cookie decorating at Boma (or Jiko, I can't remember), night vision goggles to watch the animals, safari guides stationed outside to answer questions, fireside story telling, mask making by the pools, etc.

Atmosphere - Totally different and both neat. The Contemporary really feels like you're in the heart of the Magic, and the AKL feels tucked away and private. I would give the edge to the AKL because it's like no other hotel you'll ever stay at. But I love the hustle and bustle of the Contemporary too. This would totally be a personal preference.

Hope this doesn't just add to the confusion!:lol:

Upvote 0

pitapan

I have explored both,but only stayed at AKL.I love both,but the difference maker is your own prefference.For me,I love AKL.It is really great.We had a pool room view and could smell breakfast from Boma bellow us on the balcony.Its such a spectacularly detailed resort and the anmials really are lots of fun to see from your own home away from home.The atmosphere is great,the pool and spas are very nice,and the transportation is really nice too.It doesnt feel as if your wayyy away from anything.Your just on one side of the world.But the Contemporary im sure would be spectacular in its own right.I have a great tip.No matter where you stay,make sure you take an evening or so to drive or bus to the MK resort area and get off at Polynesian and Floriadian to take a look around,relax in hamack,or watch the Electrical Water Pageant.You get a little more flavor that way.Explorer the unexlpored is my tip.You'll find many hidden teasures you would have missed.Have a great trip,lucky.I'll be waiting for my dec trip.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Ok, I'll chime in as well.

I love AKL, so I would personally choose AKL over any other resort, hands down.

But let's take a closer look... :D

I've stayed at both, albet not in a tower room at Contemporary. And my stay was not the greatest either, we had several issues with the rooms (yes that rooms cos' they had to move us) we stayed in, so my opinion is not very high of that resort, but I will try to not let that get in the way.

Transportation to MK and Epcot are pretty convievient with the monoails at Contemp, but the two resorts are pretty much the same with MGM and AK, just the rides are bit shorter/longer.

Bus transport at AKL has never been an issue for us. Busses leave every 20 min or less, and you do not share the bus route with other resorts.

We do however use a car to resort hop from AKL, it's just easier.

I think AKL wins in the food department, with one exception, I haven't eaten at the steakhouse yet (I will in Oct), so I can't say for sure, but Jiko and Boma are both fantastic places to eat and both would be in my top 10 for sure.

Theaming...AKL. That's simple. Like it was said before, I feel Contemp is a just another place to stay, a few neat things like the monorail, but in my opinion, nothing special except for it's history status. AKL got the animals, and that is very unique for any place to stay, even for Disney.

Let me sum it up with my wifes opinion. We visited the Contempoary a few years back while riding the monorail. She's never ben in it, just through it. :lol:

I think we spent a whole 15 min and she was ready to go. To her it was nothing special. But AKL, you can spend hours looking around at the animals, the art, reading up on the culture, and talking to the CMs from Africa.

They are just so different places. Contempoary is a resort in the middle of the magic. And if you're looking for the "hussle and bussle" of being in the middle of it all, that's the choice.

AKL is an exact oppisite. It's a relaxing, laid back, slower paced resort. You're meant to take your time, soak in the atmosphere, and use all the facilities, not just a place to rest you weary head.

You've got a difficult choice to make, but I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip no matter which resort you stay in.

Have fun!

Upvote 0
I've stayed in both resorts, and my personal favorite is AK. Just looking out your window in the morning and seeing animals there is truly Disney magic. Plus, the food at AKL is TOP NOTCH. Even if you don't stay there, make sure to eat at Boma one night. It's the best buffet I've ever had with all different types of African food. And if you eat there, make sure to make a Priority Seating. Otherwise, you'll wait for more than 1 hour.

Upvote 0

JET12monorail

Sorry for the second post

Think about it--would you rather wake up to some smelly girraffe eating just outside of your window OR would you rather wake up to seeing the Seven Seas Lagoon and the Magic Kingdon action first thing? To me, because you did ask for everyone's opinion, the extra $50/night is well worth it.

What--could you not tell that I'm a "contemporary lover?"

Upvote 0

barnum42

Originally posted by JET12monorail
Think about it--would you rather wake up to some smelly girraffe eating just outside of your window OR would you rather wake up to seeing the Seven Seas Lagoon and the Magic Kingdon action first thing?
I'm-a gonna' say "Giraffe" :D

Upvote 0

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by JET12monorail
Just do a JEDI mind trick on your wife and tell her that she's staying in the Contemporary.

Contemporary
Contemporary
Contemporary

:D Unfortunately the Jedi mind trick on works on the weak-minded...my wife's just stubborn, not weak-minded, lol...

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I've not stayed at either...uh...either. Maybe you can ask the kids. After all, with three, someone is bound to be the tie-braker, and you'll be off scot-free with the missus. At least, if they're really into animals, it might make the choice for AKL easier to bear (get it? Animal Kingdom? BEAR? I KILL ME!)

Based on my newbie info, I'd say you should push for the Contemporary. You have monorail access to two other resorts and the goings-on there (in case they have goings-on there that'll interest you), more restaurants to choose from with less hassle getting to them, and stuff like that. Plus, you'll be a ferry ride away from Fort Wilderness, with access to their buffet (which I heard is about as good as a buffet gets, and very affordable for a family), or if you want to splurge for the musical revue, it's right there...I think they also have movies at night if the weather allows, and maybe the kids would like that.

I think it also depends on how into Disney your kids are. If they like amusement parks but feel that Disney is corny (BLASPHEME!), apparently AKL is wonderfully themed without too much Disney-fication.

Oh, and a coworker who stayed at AKL said the transportation was awesome, nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the help and insight. I've just emailed the wife the link to this thread. I'm sure she'll be checking it out soon. :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom