News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Didn't they redo the bathrooms at the poly too?
From what I saw last night at the Poly the only the interior of the rooms is being reconfigured. (Down to the studs) The walls between room and outside hallway are undisturbed. The hallway is only getting new carpet, wallpaper, light fixtures, and trim. The ceiling is remaining as is.

This is not like the DVC longhouse renovation where everything except the center core was gutted and redone.

MaryJaneP

Interesting. Is having the Monorail driving through the resort visually desirable for the patrons? If so, wouldn't it make sense to swap where the Wave is with BVG? Do they really sell more monorail sets while your back is to the tracks?

Notes from Neverland

I fail to see why people have a problem with a Disney themed room at a Disney theme park...
The original designs for the Contemporary and the Polynesian are Disney themed. The problem occurs when there's a belief that "Disney themed" means everything has to be connected to a movie. Unique ideas that can stand on their own (Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion) are just as much Disney themed as The Incredibles or Moana. But, modern Disney is intent on replacing their own original ideas with movies.

Florida Man

The original designs for the Contemporary and the Polynesian are Disney themed. The problem occurs when there's a belief that "Disney themed" means everything has to be connected to a movie. Unique ideas that can stand on their own (Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion) are just as much Disney themed as The Incredibles or Moana. But, modern Disney is intent on replacing their own original ideas with movies.
I couldn’t have said it any better.

James Alucobond

I mean, they've been trying to reverse-engineer everything that isn't explicitly tied to an IP for years, sometimes successfully (Pirates) and sometimes unsuccessfully (Haunted Mansion, Tomorrowland). It's part of their multimedia strategy, so it's not surprising that they're updating the things with little potential for cross-promotion. This is why we should all pray for the success of the SEA series on D+.

MaryJaneP

Would an Art-Deco type of design be more tied to the "Contemporary" label? Of course, it could be refreshed according to the usual schedule. Different color schemes and shapes could be rotated to keep it from ever feeling stale.

JoeCamel

I mean, they've been trying to reverse-engineer everything that isn't explicitly tied to an IP for years, sometimes successfully (Pirates) and sometimes unsuccessfully (Haunted Mansion, Tomorrowland). It's part of their multimedia strategy, so it's not surprising that they're updating the things with little potential for cross-promotion. This is why we should all pray for the success of the SEA series on D+.
But does it really get Joni's pa pa to buy a plush or a toy? I have to wonder if the ROI is worth it?

James Alucobond

But does it really get Joni's pa pa to buy a plush or a toy? I have to wonder if the ROI is worth it?
I have no idea, but I would imagine they either know for a fact that the ROI is worth it or have compelling research that gives them extreme confidence in what they're doing. Otherwise, they wouldn't be plowing full steam ahead with the concept at practically every resort while they hesitantly putter away at projects elsewhere in the parks.

Bocabear

Would an Art-Deco type of design be more tied to the "Contemporary" label? Of course, it could be refreshed according to the usual schedule. Different color schemes and shapes could be rotated to keep it from ever feeling stale.
Art Deco is it's own style which is not Contemporary...
The Contemporary style and design work perfectly ...It would be wonderful if they would embrace the original design aesthetic and really take it back, get rid of the clutter, and trust the design...and bring back the acrylic trees that were so amazing.
IP and cartoons are SO-o unnecessary.
What is the IP tied to the Wilderness Lodge?
The Grand Floridian plays with Mary Poppins and now for some strange reason Beauty and The Beast...
Is there an IP tied to every hotel?
It is ridiculous and not necessary....

Movielover

What is the IP tied to the Wilderness Lodge?

Home on the Range...

AlaNPeF.gif

BogusUnlinedHuemul-size_restricted.gif

a03.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom