News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

UNCgolf

To clarify my earlier comment about walls -- take the gift shop in the middle of the atrium. Why does it need walls at all? If you really want to sell Disney merch in the middle of the space (and they shouldn't; it's not like they don't have plenty of other places to sell it instead), just have some shelves and stands. The walls are completely unnecessary.

That’s not plussing it, that’s ruining it.

I think using subtle projection mapping to highlight various elements and make certain colors pop would be a nice addition.

Think Pandora’s floating mountains, not Happily Ever After (both use projection mapping).

If you still disagree, that’s fine. I just want to make sure you know what I’m suggesting.

Skywise

meh - the rooms don't bother me much (though I'm not a big fan of slapping IP into rooms - that's like saying I had a "star wars themed bedroom" when I was a kid because I had star wars posters on the walls. If you're going to do an Incredibles resort - I wanna see AN INCREDIBLES RESORT where I'm walking into their city complete with fixtures and lights!)
I'm a little more concerned about the new color scheme on the atrium walls - IncrediRed seems a little too garish for the Grand Canyon Concourse.

That said - I'm in complete agreement that they need to remove the gift shop in the middle of the concourse and return to its traditional status (maybe with smaller park like kiosks). I think even returning the plexiglass trees might fit in with an "Incredibles" theme.

Bocabear

Ohhh PLEASE return the Acrylic trees to the concourse... They were so modern and really felt like an extension of the mural.. They felt very Mary Blair... And added a colorful sculptural element into the open concourse...
and PLEASE remove that horrible gift shop disaster... Send it and the racks over to EPCOT for Mouse Gears. This never fit the location and really just junks up some beautiful modernist architecture...
1618490340776.png

dreday3

Ohhh PLEASE return the Acrylic trees to the concourse... They were so modern and really felt like an extension of the mural.. They felt very Mary Blair... And added a colorful sculptural element into the open concourse...
and PLEASE remove that horrible gift shop disaster... Send it and the racks over to EPCOT for Mouse Gears. This never fit the location and really just junks up some beautiful modernist architecture...
View attachment 549002.

I like those trees! (I can never tell if a post is being serious or sarcastic :D)

montyz81

They were never designed to move (although it is a longtime WDW myth).
I was kind of hoping everyone would know I was being sarcastic. The Poly rooms were built the same way yet that myth never made it across Seven Seas Lagoon.

Bocabear

I was dead serious... The Acrylic trees brought the stylized Grand Canyon mural out into the concourse making it seem not a decorative mural, but an integral part of the setting. They also were very fanciful and modern... there was a lot of colorplay in the interior design which has all been homogenized... I wish they would bring back the saturated color palate that matched the mural... Contemporary design does not have to look like the Apple store... Seems like that is all they can do anymore....they just need to look back and bring the look forward.

DisAl

To clarify my earlier comment about walls -- take the gift shop in the middle of the atrium. Why does it need walls at all? If you really want to sell Disney merch in the middle of the space (and they shouldn't; it's not like they don't have plenty of other places to sell it instead), just have some shelves and stands. The walls are completely unnecessary.
Shoplifters.

aladdin2007

it was very opulent and upscale (for its time). The entire concourse and lobby areas etc are long overdue for a redo, I wish they would make it grand again instead of the terrible 90s stale ugly setup its stuck in.

Bocabear

They really need to examine the photos and design files of it's original incarnation... The brilliant use of color, The extension of the mural out into the concourse using the acrylic trees and there were also southwestern architectural motifs... All echoing from that grand mural.
The current interior looks cluttered and disjointed and quite frankly stuck in the late 90s even though a lot of the renovation is more recent. I think they should embrace the groovy 1970 version of the future with all it bright colors and beautiful finishes...

jmargarone27

I just saw on Disney’s website that the Club Level rooms look very different from the standard garden wing/main tower rooms. The bedroom and bathroom are totally updated. Were they renovated recently or is this the new look of the rooms for the entire resort?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom