News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

tommcp516

Original Poster
After seeing a comment on another board about people reporting that their April CR reservations were being moved to GF, I called WDW this morning to see if my reservation on 4/8-4/10 would be affected.

They confirmed that rooms in the Tower are being refurbished but that they're beginning with Park View rooms starting in April, and Lake View rooms will start on May 15. They said the refurbishments are scheduled until September.

Just wanted to give people a heads up if they have rooms booked for that time period. They did confirm that any relocation would be at GF or another deluxe resort, at no additional cost to the guests.

*edit * It wasn't discussed during the call, but I don't think this bodes well for fireworks returning before September. Being able to watch MK fireworks from your Park View room is one of the big selling points to justify the premium rate, so they may have decided to take those rooms out of circulation now because fireworks weren't going to be returning until the 50th celebration in the fall.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Sounds like a refresh to one of the original resorts (like Poly is also getting) to have it refreshed and ready for 50th Anniversary on October 1, 2021.

just a guess.

JIMINYCR

You almost had me scream. Glad its the tower rooms. Last trip we were moved from our desired POFQ building due to refurbs there. Our garden wing room will be safe in May. Whew. Maybe it will work in our favor by having the elevators in the main building being utilized less.

jmargarone27

I’m really disappointed they are renovating the Contemporary before the Grand Floridian. It’s completely lost its identity as the flagship resort, and it’s wrong they continue to charge the prices they do for the quality of the rooms. The GF bedroom itself isn’t horrible but the bathrooms are atrocious. I am a true GF fan, I haven’t stayed anywhere else in years...but the rooms are tired and need an update. You can’t charge $855 a night (I just looked up what the rate was for the 50th anniversary week) and expect guests to be satisfied. Especially after taking away other perks like the live music and club level.

castlecake2.0

How long has it been since the last refurb on these rooms? Also the concourse level and monorail platform really need some work too, I wonder if that will be a part of it. Also also I wonder if the Incredibles theme was approved?

JIMINYCR

I hope they replace those ridiculous two inch deep sinks. Those things are terrible.
Thats a prime example of what happens when "designers" fashion sites for the design instead of functionality. We stayed at the Contemp years ago when they first opened back up from remodeling and installing those sinks. I said to DW, these arent going to last long. Sigh... I was wrong.

DisAl

Thats a prime example of what happens when "designers" fashion sites for the design instead of functionality. We stayed at the Contemp years ago when they first opened back up from remodeling and installing those sinks. I said to DW, these arent going to last long. Sigh... I was wrong.
I once had a designer remove electrical and communications outlets from a building design because she didn't want it to mess up how the wallpaper looked. :rolleyes:

MrHappy

I posted this in the Poly thread as well. Do you think this means the Poly refurb will be done in April so the Contemp can begin? Having extremely limited capacity at 2 of the 3 monorail resorts at the same time is something that shouldn’t happen.

nickys

Premium Member
I posted this in the Poly thread as well. Do you think this means the Poly refurb will be done in April so the Contemp can begin? Having extremely limited capacity at 2 of the 3 monorail resorts at the same time is something that shouldn’t happen.
Nope. No way will the Poly be finished that early.

This may well only take some rooms out at a time. In any case we know they’re starting with the TPV rooms and Lake view rooms 6 weeks later.

And right now, demand just isn’t there. If this was a normal year then you’d be right. There are still resorts not yet scheduled to re-open, including WL. Plenty of capacity if bookings start to take off.

MrHappy

Nope. No way will the Poly be finished that early.

This may well only take some rooms out at a time. In any case we know they’re starting with the TPV rooms and Lake view rooms 6 weeks later.

And right now, demand just isn’t there. If this was a normal year then you’d be right. There are still resorts not yet scheduled to re-open, including WL. Plenty of capacity if bookings start to take off.
I’d settle for the GCH, monorail and whatever is happening to the pool to be done by then. Maybe they’ll partially open up some moana rooms by April.

killowatts

so, dumb question, none of the resorts are bookable in December yet. Contemporary, Poly, Animal Kingdom Lodge, etc. I take it that is just a booking system limitation and not an availability or construction factor, right?

Lorne82

This hotel has waited a long time for refurbishment- unbelievable it has taken this long! Let us hope this refurbishment is for the better.

JIMINYCR

It remains to be seen if they're going with the Incredibles theming they were testing a while back.

It certainly will brighten up and give a new lift to the look of the resort. The dull, dark look as is there now needs to be wiped out. If the inside of the rooms get a similar redesign, I'd be happy. Maybe then there will be less comments on how bland and non Disney themed the resort is.

incredibles-test-room-contemporary-disney-3-1068x712.jpg
contemporary-resort-incredibles-retheme-rooms-august-2019_1-800x600.jpg

aliceismad

It certainly will brighten up and give a new lift to the look of the resort. The dull, dark look as is there now needs to be wiped out. If the inside of the rooms get a similar redesign, I'd be happy. Maybe then there will be less comments on how bland and non Disney themed the resort is.
I love it. Both Incredibles and Pixar seem like a good fit for Contemporary. Excited to see the refurb results. I think, at least for the public spaces and hallways, the most important thing is that they still make sure the Grand Canyon Concourse mural the centerpiece and complement that piece of art.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom