News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

Brian

The biggest reason I think The Incredibles doesn't work as a room theme is that this resort is frequented by convention guests, who in some cases (and largely depending upon the industry), couldn't care less about Disney. I'm not saying cater exclusively to them, but maybe tone it down a bit.

Ponderer

I still hate the way they encased the window.

Otherwise, it hits some mid-century modern notes, which I like.

Yeah, like I said, I like the sense of it, but it’s too much and it makes the window look small. That sort of arch works for a much wider window.

Disney Analyst

Did you see the hallways?

The hallway doesn't bother me. I get why it may bother some, but for me it's no big.

Again, would I ever pay to stay at the Contemporary, Poly, or any deluxe resort at Disney? Heck no, they've never been worth the price. So perhaps I have no nostalgia towards this. The new design is fine to me, it matches an aesthetic I like, and I don't mind The Incredibles.

Now if we had Jack Jack on a stick... I'd have a different mind about this.

nickys

Premium Member
The biggest reason I think The Incredibles doesn't work as a room theme is that this resort is frequented by convention guests, who in some cases (and largely depending upon the industry), couldn't care less about Disney. I'm not saying cater exclusively to them, but maybe tone it down a bit.
When I pointed this out when the first pictures were released I was told that anyone attending a convention at Disney was only there because of the location and being able to bring their family on the cheap. That’s certainly not my experience of a convention, but then I’ve never been to one at Disney so …….🤷‍♀️

CaptainAmerica

**Seven Sea's Lagoon/MK Deluxes
pirates-of-the-caribbean-geoffrey-rush.gif

Brian

When I pointed this out when the first pictures were released I was told that anyone attending a convention at Disney was only there because of the location and being able to bring their family on the cheap. That’s certainly not my experience of a convention, but then I’ve never been to one at Disney so …….🤷‍♀️
Having done check-in duty for a number of years for convention guests, I can state with certainty that some convention guests would rather be anywhere but Disney. Again, that's largely dependent upon the industry of the convention guests. The biggest grumps were (unsurprisingly) those in the financial industry.

UNCgolf

The lobby is wonderful. The rooms are still a disaster -- parts of the aesthetic are okay, but it looks like a cheap rendition of mid-century modern instead of something high end (and I really dislike the window design). The Incredibles stuff plastered on top makes it that much worse.

If Pop Century had rooms themed to the different decades, this is what I imagine their 50s room would look like. It doesn't feel deluxe to me.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

The lobby is wonderful. The rooms are still a disaster -- parts of the aesthetic is okay, but it looks like a cheap rendition of mid-century modern instead of something high end (and I really dislike the window design). The Incredibles stuff plastered on top makes it that much worse.
Incredibles aside, my fear is that this is going to age very poorly. When everything is slick and smooth, every nick and ding shows up badly. When you have a more rustic look like the Lodges or a softer look like Yacht Club, the impact of those things is mitigated.

James Alucobond

I still can't quite get a clear visual on what exactly the flooring in the rooms is. Is it a mottled laminate tile or something? Puzzling that they didn't do the herringbone wood thing they love in the one place where it actually makes sense.

Namaari

Yeah, definitely not a huge fan of the Incredibles' presence at the Contemporary (or Disney IP being slapped around everywhere, period). They really should have just called the Property Brothers and updated the rooms to mid-century modern.

JoeCamel

Having done check-in duty for a number of years for convention guests, I can state with certainty that some convention guests would rather be anywhere but Disney. Again, that's largely dependent upon the industry of the convention guests. The biggest grumps were (unsurprisingly) those in the financial industry.
They probably ran the numbers and know what a bad deal it is

TrojanUSC

The Incredibles stuff is so tacky lol. If any of the unneeded IP stuff gets negative feedback, it would be those tacky decals in Contemporary's $700/night rooms. But just like Moana in Poly, most people will love it.

Yep this is probably why The Incredibles steakhouse didn't happen. The only reason The Wave existed was because they needed a boring place for conventioneers to show up without a reservation and have a nice meal.

mgf

That is 100% why the conference planners booked the location though, and it works on a lot of the attendees.

Magic Feather

I understand (and agree) that some of the incredibles touches are a little bit hitting you over the head. But I also recognize how darn easy it would be to eliminate them overnight. It would be two new decals, switching some throw pillows out, and a new window curtain. I *feel* like these rooms were made to be switched out easily in case of complaints.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom