construction near Caribbean Beach

jeffs10

Original Poster
I stayed at Caribbean Beach this past week and when I was loading the bus at port royale at Caribbean Beach directy across the street they where building something looked like a hotel anyone know what this is?

Atticus

It's most likely the Radisson Timeshare? Is that the correct company? The land is surrounded on three sides by Disney, so they have to build an entrance on Disney property, etc..

Anyone else with more knowledge fill in the rest.

Pippa

Originally posted by jeffs10
I thought pop century was already build this was like maybe 40% done it was like 4 floors and only had the frame build

maybe it was part of pop century

jeff

Goodness! I was there in Nov 2000 and it sounds like it is at exactly the same stage of construction! Oh dear :hammer:

Mission: SPACE

This is as previously mentioned the new timeshare that's going in right on top of CB... If I remember right, the land that was purchased is completely landlocked, instead of just on three sides. The company building it actually had to purchase land from Disney to build the place... kinda surprised me that Disney would do that with knowledge of what they're building...

The story I was told by a knowledgable bus driver (I know, she's probably not the most trustworthy news sorce, but she was extremely nice and friendly, and I don't think she was lying b/c of her age...) is that the land was one of the larger chunks of land that are actually inside of WDW... When Walt set out to purchase all the land with the false companies, some residents of the area didn't want to sell their humble home and have to move. So, there are a few areas throughout WDW that is not Disney property. This is one of those examples, and when the man that owned the property died, his heirs decided to sell the land... It was obviously worth quite a chunk of change...

Donfan

Bonnet Creek Inn

When we were at WDW in December of 2001, we stayed at the Caribbean Beach. At that time, as we were passing in buses to the various Theme Parks, we would go by areas near to CBR that were obviously under construction. There were signs indicating that it was to be the new Bonnet Creek Lodge or Inn, I don't remember which. It seems to me that it was right across one of the roads from CBR. Is this what you are talking about? At the time, I thought it was to be a new Disney Hotel. Is this not true?

jmarc63

Originally posted by Atticus
It's most likely the Radisson Timeshare? Is that the correct company? The land is surrounded on three sides by Disney, so they have to build an entrance on Disney property, etc..

Anyone else with more knowledge fill in the rest.

If you refering to the construction just to the east of CBR , then that is the time share resort that is being built by another hotel company. That parcel is NOT on Disney property. the original owner refused to sell to Walt in the 60s and Disney was trying for a long time to purchase the parcel but I think they wanted an outragous amount and Disney didn't want to pay that much when it became available in the late 90s. WDW was required to provide access from Buena Vista Drive to the site

jmarc63

Originally posted by Mission: SPACE
This is as previously mentioned the new timeshare that's going in right on top of CB... If I remember right, the land that was purchased is completely landlocked, instead of just on three sides. The company building it actually had to purchase land from Disney to build the place... kinda surprised me that Disney would do that with knowledge of what they're building...

The story I was told by a knowledgable bus driver (I know, she's probably not the most trustworthy news sorce, but she was extremely nice and friendly, and I don't think she was lying b/c of her age...) is that the land was one of the larger chunks of land that are actually inside of WDW... When Walt set out to purchase all the land with the false companies, some residents of the area didn't want to sell their humble home and have to move. So, there are a few areas throughout WDW that is not Disney property. This is one of those examples, and when the man that owned the property died, his heirs decided to sell the land... It was obviously worth quite a chunk of change...

You contradict yourself in your statement but I'll take it for what I read. Disney never sold any land to the new time share resort, they were obglitated to allow access to the time share from Buena Vista Drive. I thought I heard that at one time that Disney was fighting this to block construction of the resort inside the "no mans land" The land it's self was not owned by disney, Walt couldn't get the owners to sell at any price in the 60s and the eirs wanted an astronomical amount for the small parcel

oh BTW never belive anything a CM says to you about a future project or any other plans in the works, Take it as entertainment they arent told much about future things Some know things most dont know what there talking about. I think most get there info from rumor sites, there sometimes as accurate as Jim Hill.

Mission: SPACE

Originally posted by jmarc63
You contradict yourself in your statement but I'll take it for what I read. Disney never sold any land to the new time share resort, they were obglitated to allow access to the time share from Buena Vista Drive. I thought I heard that at one time that Disney was fighting this to block construction of the resort inside the "no mans land" The land it's self was not owned by disney, Walt couldn't get the owners to sell at any price in the 60s and the eirs wanted an astronomical amount for the small parcel

oh BTW never belive anything a CM says to you about a future project or any other plans in the works, Take it as entertainment they arent told much about future things Some know things most dont know what there talking about. I think most get there info from rumor sites, there sometimes as accurate as Jim Hill.

Sorry... If you're talking about my first statement about Disney selling them land... I stated that inappropriately... I should have said that Disney had to sell them a strip of land...

Whether or not they had to sell it or had to provide access is beyond my 100% positive knowledge... I'm just reporting what a really nice bus driver told me... And trust me, I know generally that the CMs spread rumors and all, but she seemed to be telling the truth... She actually asked if anyone had any questions, and the question about this new timeshare was brought up...

Personally, I don't think that Disney had to provide any access to the company, because Disney has its own governing authority over all aspects of the property, under the Reedy Creek Improvement District (or something having to do with Reedy Creek). This was established for the so called prototype community that was supposed to be built back in the late 70's, but we all know the results of that project...

surfsupdon

It's the Bonnet Creek Resort. When I was there last Christmas, they had signs for trucks and companies dealing with Bonnet Creek Resort to enter here, those vehicles only. Its directly behind Martinique and OPR. Pop Century is outlandishly disturbing the privacy and tranquility out by Trinidad South. Boo to all of this.

jasondiff

eyes and ears blurb

This must be a popular topic among CMs since they put this little blurb about it into the Aug 7th issue of Eyes and Ears:
What’s the status of the development of the area behind Epcot next to Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort?

The land off Buena Vista Drive near Backstage Lane is a 482-acre parcel that is being developed by an individual business group called Bonnet Creek Venture, LTD. They have plans to develop a resort area on the property. This is not a Walt Disney World Resort project, nor does The Walt Disney Company own the land. However, Joint Planning Agreements between Orange County, Reedy Creek Improvement District, Bonnet Creek Venture, LTD. and the Walt Disney World Resort contain provisions that ensure the design is consistent with the rest of our area’s tourist corridor.
— Rena Callahan, Public Affairs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom