Construction costs...?

junglecruise93

Original Poster
So...I was looking at the pics on the site of the show building for Tron with the scrims down (and SM) in the background and I was thinking...

What would the cost be today to replicate SM building and all?
What would just the coaster apparatus cost (by itself)?
The difference then would be the cost of the building and all of its designed in value, correct?

Is this difference simply the reason Tron and GotG are using a 4-walled show building (I get it - with a nice swoopy awning over part of it and a pre-existing old school awesome building for the pre-show at EPCOT) versus a show building that is actually part of the surrounding show (e.g. the spires and structure of SM)?

It actually works on RnRC because the surrounding show in HS is the studio - and studio buildings in the real Hollywood are usually 4-walled behemoths.

Thoughts?

JohnD

So...I was looking at the pics on the site of the show building for Tron with the scrims down (and SM) in the background and I was thinking...

What would the cost be today to replicate SM building and all?
What would just the coaster apparatus cost (by itself)?
The difference then would be the cost of the building and all of its designed in value, correct?

Is this difference simply the reason Tron and GotG are using a 4-walled show building (I get it - with a nice swoopy awning over part of it and a pre-existing old school awesome building for the pre-show at EPCOT) versus a show building that is actually part of the surrounding show (e.g. the spires and structure of SM)?

It actually works on RnRC because the surrounding show in HS is the studio - and studio buildings in the real Hollywood are usually 4-walled behemoths.

Thoughts?

In HS, I think the reason it's still called "Hollywood Studios" is because studio buildings are right in the middle of the park. You can have a studio building directly in the middle of the park for the new MMRR and TSMM and not give it a second thought. But as you say, some rides dictate theming on all sides such as ToT and SpM. Other rides, only need theming in front because they are only seen from the front by guests. In MK, HM, IASW, and Little Mermaid come to mind. That isn't the case with GOTG, obviously. Tron, is hard to pinpoint. From inside MK, you probably won't see the show building. While it can be seen from the exterior, most guests don't go up that side road leading toward the back. Would you be able to see it from the monorail? Don't know.

TrainsOfDisney

Everest and Pandora back walls can both be easily seen from public guest areas.

The back of CarsLand looks particularly bad from outside of the park.

ToTBellHop

Everest and Pandora back walls can both be easily seen from public guest areas.

The back of CarsLand looks particularly bad from outside of the park.
That’s the key—outside the park. There have been crumby views from outside the park for years. This is where GotG, in particular, will be different. And unlike Ratatouille, it won’t get better after trees grow in a bit.

Unless they plant sequoias...

TrainsOfDisney

That’s the key—outside the park. There have been crumby views from outside the park for years. This is where GotG, in particular, will be different. And unlike Ratatouille, it won’t get better after trees grow in a bit.

Unless they plant sequoias...

And some attractions... like tower of terror, space mountain, etc. were designed to be seen from outside of the park as well.

ToTBellHop

Wow, a discussion of visual intrusions in the resort, haven't seen that discussed in well over 30 seconds. ;)
Well, there is the new development of a large new box behind Universe of Energy at Epcot. I don’t believe anyone had noticed it before the hurricane briefly turned the Florida sun into clouds being pushed by extreme 25+ MPH winds and BAM! A blue box appeared!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom