Considering move to Orlando from San Jose, CA- WDW offered stage tech job!!!!!!

chris racine

Original Poster
Hello!

As the title suggests I've been offered a job as a stage technician at WDW.

I currently live (and have lived for 30+ years) and work, in San Jose, CA, I am self-employed and do sound for many concerts around the Bay Area and work as an A1 Audio Engineer for the Local 134 IATSE Union. I make pretty decent money but it doesn't go far due the amazingly high cost of living here. So I'm considering moving to Orlando and taking the rather low-paying position with WDW.

I'm enthralled with the idea of working at a Disney park which might make the move worth it as I see it now. Or not!?

My current plan is to fly out to Orlando for a month and try the job out and stay at a close-by-the-park (Animal Kingdom) and somewhat low-cost hotel or similar.

I'd love to hear any thoughts about my plan and perhaps my lack of vision about this rather big move.

I should add that I'm a single white male, never been married, no kids. My still-married (60 yrs) parents are still alive here in the South Bay and I have other family here as well.

Any insight about the job or where I should live or if I should have my head examined would be great!

Thanks for reading my silly post! Have a great day!

Chris

jloucks

From what I have read and heard, you will be in for a major culture shock. Going from an environment where you are highly respected and highly paid, to the opposite might be a little bit jarring.

A lot might depend on who your boss is. Bosses are.

Of course, your position is not entry level by any means, so you might not be viewed as 100% expandable.

Frescodecacao

COL is going up here tremendously. It may not compare to san jose (hubby is there) but just keep that in mind. I suggest you live near four corners area of clermont and commute (not far). Its much cheaper than orlando proper.

chris racine

Original Poster
COL is going up here tremendously. It may not compare to san jose (hubby is there) but just keep that in mind. I suggest you live near four corners area of clermont and commute (not far). Its much cheaper than orlando proper.

Thanks for the insight. I'll look into those locations.
My current income, if I break it down hourly-ish, is double and then some compared to what WDW is offering. Basically, I can make in two days here what I'd make at WDW in a week. I agree that I'll need to put a 'price' on what working at WDW is to me. This is my un-known at this point and is a major point. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
I was considering flying out there initially. Is this a good idea or should I drive (ugh)?
I'm single, white, never been married with no kids and no girlfriend at this time.
Thanks,
Chris

Frescodecacao

Thanks for the insight. I'll look into those locations.
My current income, if I break it down hourly-ish, is double and then some compared to what WDW is offering. Basically, I can make in two days here what I'd make at WDW in a week. I agree that I'll need to put a 'price' on what working at WDW is to me. This is my un-known at this point and is a major point. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
I was considering flying out there initially. Is this a good idea or should I drive (ugh)?
I'm single, white, never been married with no kids and no girlfriend at this time.
Thanks,
Chris

whoops. I mean to say he is from San Jose.

in regards to flying or driving here, its up to you, but i can promise you will need a car because you have to drive EVERYWHERE. public transportation is practically non existent and distances are large. walking is not really an option.

chris racine

Original Poster
whoops. I mean to say he is from San Jose.

in regards to flying or driving here, its up to you, but i can promise you will need a car because you have to drive EVERYWHERE. public transportation is practically non existent and distances are large. walking is not really an option.

Thanks for the reply. Glad (and sad) to finally get the skinny on public transportation. Driving there would be an adventure I don't have time for now which is too bad as it can be a good time. So the joys of buying a car on CL wanes in my future.
Can you point towards any towns by name that are near the Animal Kingdom park? Google Maps is a little vague regarding this (or they just don't quite exist as I think).
Obviously, I will find these things out when I arrive but any advice is welcome.
Thanks,
Chris

chris racine

Original Poster
I should add this info as it may decide my journey:
I've been offered about $15/ hour to work at WDW as a stage technician. Yes, that's low and about a third of what I make per hour for most of my work here in the Bay Area. The COL here is crazy and only getting worse.
That's about 600 per week (from WDW), full time, which sounds, well, it sounds like I'm nuts for considering it.
COL in Orlando is lower than here -but rising- I realize, but is that doable to live on? I live a frugal life as it is but that sounds nuts. Or?
Thanks for ANY advice regarding this!
I agree that driving both ways might kill the canary. I have a brother that would drive w/ me if I go that route. I agree it's too daunting a trip to go solo.
Renting a car here for the drive is a good idea I hadn't thought of.
I'm still trying to get back in touch (his request) w/ the HR guy who offered me the job to discuss my arrival date. I assume he has a full plate to deal with so I'll keep trying as this info is critical to say the least.
Thanks for all the advice!
Chris

Frescodecacao

Thanks for the reply. Glad (and sad) to finally get the skinny on public transportation. Driving there would be an adventure I don't have time for now which is too bad as it can be a good time. So the joys of buying a car on CL wanes in my future.
Can you point towards any towns by name that are near the Animal Kingdom park? Google Maps is a little vague regarding this (or they just don't quite exist as I think).
Obviously, I will find these things out when I arrive but any advice is welcome.
Thanks,
Chris
In order of distance: Clermont (four corners or citrus ridge to be more specific), Celebration, Lake Buena Vista, Windermere, Champion’s Gate. Anywhere else, expect a commute in the 45 min or longer range.

chris racine

Original Poster
Hi,
Thanks for the advice re: annual finances. I know I'd be making less money but and I'm worried about making my monthly bills (which are not too high). I appreciate everybody's inputs about this very much!

I was supersized that I was offered this job knowing/hearing how hard it can be to land a job there.

I want this to work and will be careful not to lose all I have here in the Bay Area.

It's silly but I really would like to be part of the Disney magic cast making all the live shows that I'm part of be the best.

It's a stretch but I'd love to talk to other stage tech's that work there now or if they did at some time. I've tried several places to find some other tech's to connect to but no luck as of now. So I know this is likely a crazy request but if you know anybody who fits the bill please refer me to them if possible.

I want to thank all who shared their thoughts about my move. You all helped me make some important decisions.

I forgot to ask:
What are the best websites to look into renting a studio in that area? I know CL (CraigsList) is an option (w/ all the scammers on there) but want to know if I'm unaware of any other sites.

I'm aware there are losers trying to scam others on all sites but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Best,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom