Connections Cafe and Eatery

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
There are upscale malls and cheap malls. Both can become dated, but one always looks nicer because it wasn’t value-engineered.

There’s a reason why some architecture always looks good; maybe not ‘modern’ anymore, but can still be appealing decades or centuries after it was built. EPCOT by contrast, does strive to look modern, or at least a retro modern, so I have no idea how this doesn’t nail that for a World’s Fair setting.

Electric Umbrella mimicked a cheap 90’s roller skating rink: industrial tile ceilings, carpet on the walls and floors, and no windows.

Connections is anything but, regardless if you like the minimalist style or have nostalgia for the two restaurants that preceded it. It’s not an obvious mistake like removing the original Figment was as they removed instead of upgraded and had no budget to do so. That isn’t the case here.

I only drink tap water at restaurants, so the beverage prices are a non-issue for me, and the food cost less than did on my recent trip to Six Flags Over Georgia.

I’m stoked that former eye-sore finally met its maker, both inside and out, and the food is apparently great too!

UNCgolf

This looks fine to me, and I'm someone who has been very negative about the vast majority of changes to EPCOT in the past couple of years. I think the creperie in France looks abysmal, for example.

I love the mural and the abundance of natural light. I'm also a fan of those garden views. The rolling pin thing is strange and looks completely out of place, and yes, it's somewhat bland/sterile overall, but that's contemporary design. Contemporary design makes sense in this location, and they didn't throw in characters or IP of any kind.

This is the central area of Future World at EPCOT, so I'm not really sure what the theme is supposed to be. It's not like the other parks, or even World Showcase. The original locations weren't especially themed either.

I'll always have a lot of nostalgia attached to Electric Umbrella, but I think this is a solid update and probably not too far off from what a central QS would have looked like if the original designers of EPCOT were building it today instead of in the early 1980s.

Last edited:

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
No complaints here. I really love the open feel between very high ceilings and enormous wall of windows. The menu looks inviting and prices very reasonable. Will this be a great place to cool off without feeling ‘stuck inside’ like Sunshine Seasons.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I like it. Electrica Umbrella, while nice for nostalgia, always felt dirty and dingy. I'm a fan of the natural light and just seeing those pictures overlooking the garden my heart pitter patter. Overall this is an aesthetic improvement. Looking forward to trying the food on my next visit.

Royal Purple Pigment

I just got done with my first visit. It's pretty nice. I had the French Bistro Burger and it was very good. I recommend checking it out.
PXL_20220423_212958685.jpg
PXL_20220423_213712047.jpg
PXL_20220423_214200318.jpg
PXL_20220423_214204291.jpg

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
This is a home run in that it finds the excellent blend of classic EPCOT architecture and modern flavor. Pictures don't do it justice. The sunken floors. The new EPCOT logo optical illusion art pieces. The Spaceship Earth tile railings. The PEOPLEMOVER SKYLIGHTS. The glass walled kitchens. It really offers us diehards things to enjoy, while bringing experiences to new audiences.

vikescaper

Back in the day Electric Umbrella was widely considered a joke and bottom of the barrel for EPCOT food. It was about as universally disliked as Pizzerizzo. I find it humorous that now people are clamoring to have it back.

I tried this and it’s so much better. In every way.
I think the only thing Electric Umbrella had going for me was the Innoventions loop.

Poseidon Quest

I'm a bit conflicted. While the interior looks like it's paying tribute to classic Communicore (I really like the big open windows with greenery outside), there are other elements that feel a little too "Apple store". Overall, I think I like the space and I'm actually excited to check something out for once, but it also contrasts with how bad Creations Shop is in comparison. That particular store would be greatly improved by removing Mickey and adding just a little bit more Epcot uniqueness into it, as Connections seems to capture.

James Alucobond

… but it also contrasts with how bad Creations Shop is in comparison. That particular store would be greatly improved by removing Mickey and adding just a little bit more Epcot uniqueness into it, as Connections seems to capture.
While I agree that an EPCOT mural would be preferable, it’s actually kind of remarkable how detached from IP the entire hub remodel has been, if you think about it. Assuming Journey of Water is as lightly themed as it appears from the art, we may make it out of this with one Mickey mural, a few chuckable Mickey statuettes, and a single heart of Te Fiti emblem.

Energy wasn’t so lucky.

UNCgolf

One would hope no one was asking for the theater concession-styled interior of Electric Umbrella back either, but alas. At least I now have some idea of who’s decorating those Zillow listings I like to gawk at incredulously.

I loved it for nostalgic reasons -- it was like traveling back in time to when EPCOT was the best park on the planet -- but yes, it was very much like a movie theater entrance/concessions area designed in the late 80s or early 90s, just like Connections is very similar to current design trends.

I think some people thought it was unique, especially anyone under the age of 30 or so, because the vast majority of similar spaces had been redesigned in the intervening years. No one sees Connections as unique, but people didn't see Electric Umbrella as unique in 1995 either. Other people are probably just nostalgic (like me, although as I said above, I think this new space is good and I'm not clamoring to bring back EU).

I'm sure when it's redesigned again in 25 years there will be similar complaints from people who feel nostalgia for the existing space. I'm not sure it will have the uniqueness reasoning, because this type of design isn't tied quite as heavily to a specific, relatively short era, but that doesn't really matter.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I have to say this garden view looks pretty spectacular

Connections seems to have a surprising amount of diversity of atmospheres to sit-in. The more I see about his project the happier I get.
I just got done with my first visit. It's pretty nice. I had the French Bistro Burger and it was very good. I recommend checking it out.View attachment 634980View attachment 634981View attachment 634982View attachment 634983
That mural just screams EPCOT! The lighting looks so sleek too. Thanks for the photos :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom