Confused about AAA Discount????

RyMelEm

Ok, so I always see posts on here about the AAA discount. I don't know anything about it so I need a little clarification. :shrug: Specfically-

1.) What is the discount percentage? 5% or 10%?
2.) I know you have to be a AAA Member to get the discount but who do you get the discount from? Do you book though WDW Travel and they discount everything or do you have to book with and use a AAA Travel Agent?
3.) If you have to book thur AAA Travel Agent do you still get the same prices and perks as if you booked with WDW Travel?(i.e. Room Rates, Magical Express, Dinning Plan?)
4.) Anyone have a "Bad" Experiance booking thur AAA?

Thanks guys!

Sherrybaby

Ok, so I always see posts on here about the AAA discount. I don't know anything about it so I need a little clarification. :shrug: Specfically-

The discount is 10%.

2.) I know you have to be a AAA Member to get the discount but who do you get the discount from? Do you book though WDW Travel and they discount everything or do you have to book with and use a AAA Travel Agent?

You can book through AAA or Disney, both will honor the discount. You have to provide Disney with your AAA number when you call to make the reservation. We are talking room reservation only here. If you want AAA discounts on tickets to the park you have to purchase directly from AAA.

3.) If you have to book thur AAA Travel Agent do you still get the same prices and perks as if you booked with WDW Travel?(i.e. Room Rates, Magical Express, Dinning Plan?)

Room rates are 10% off no matter which entity you book through. I do not know if AAA can give you info on the dining plan, etc. I booked room only but then I switched it to AP discount when those came out so I worked directly with Disney the entire time.

It's not a "bad experience" it's just not much of a discount. By purchasing an annual pass instead of using AAA I was able to save over $500. You may want to check into purchasing an AP to get the room discount. You have your ticket then already paid for and then you can get the higher room discount. Usually, if the AP rates are out and you see they are good you will save a ton more than using AAA, even if you are only going to use your AP for one visit in a year.

Thanks guys!

Good luck!

Upvote 0

TestTrack

Thanks guys!

1. The discount varies from 10-20% depending on the season and type of resort you book.

2. You can book through AAA if you want to book the entire package all at once. Other travel agents can book a AAA room only booking.

3. Yes, and a few more perks which include free parking and coupons.

4. Not yet...but of course there will be some.

Upvote 0

KC82271

As already mentioned, the percentage depends on the booking. I have only used it through Disney - never through AAA itself. But it works out well! I will take any discount.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We've used it before, booked thru AAA and had no problems.
After booking one trip a great discount came thru so we called to make changes. Well they were only available thru Disney Travel so our AAA agent called Disney and switched everything over for us and then booked his own vacation thru them too. :lol:

Upvote 0

DAKOTADISNEY

We have booked two WDW trips through a AAA travel agent. We were pleased with the dicounts and liked the extra perks we got with our package. We received a free photopass 5x7, went to a special storytime with one of the characters plus received a few other coupon deals.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

Remember, being a member of AAA gets you discounts for hundreds of things, not just Disney travel. Most of the hotel chains offer AAA discounts, loads of restaurants do, they have vehicle insurance not to mention what their intended purpose is, auto stuff. I've had to call for towing, tire changing and my sister had used them to start her car one cold winter morning when her car wouldn't start. If driving to Disney, call AAA and you can order a Trip Tik which sends you great maps, and travel books for your route. Your AAA card can be used as a bond card if you are stopped for a minor traffic violation. AAA can be used for anyone i.e. if you are the AAA member and are riding in a friends car and the friends car breaks down, you call AAA and you can get the friends car towed. If you are thinking about joining AAA just for the Disney travel discount great but remember they are so much more.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

I always use my AAA to get the room only discount. It usually saves me more than an AAA package. Here's how it works (from Mousesavers:)

In general, the discounts run as follows:
  • During Value Season you can get up to 15% off at the Disney Deluxe and Disney Vacation Club resorts, or 20% off at the Value and Moderate resorts and the Ft. Wilderness campsites.
  • During Regular Season you can usually get up to 10% off at the Disney Deluxe and Disney Vacation Club resorts, or 15% off at the Value and Moderate resorts and the Ft. Wilderness campsites.
  • During Peak Season and Summer Season you can usually get up to 10% off at the Disney Deluxe and Disney Vacation Club resorts, or 15% off at the Value and Moderate resorts.

Upvote 0

Sherrybaby

I'm not trying to say that anyone is "wrong" here but I have called to get AAA discounts for every WDW "season" and it's always been 10% for at least the past 5 years. I have never, ever gotten more than that. I know that YMMV but having made over 100 trips and most of those staying at a Disney Resort I can tell you from my experience that they may SAY it's up to 20% discount but I have not encountered it during any month when trying to make ressies. That's why I always go and buy an AP and change the ressie as soon as the codes come out.

Sherry

Upvote 0

Elonwy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you CAN'T use the AAA discount with special Disney offers such as the Free dining plan, right?

I'm just trying to sort out a budget for my sister and I to travel next year and we may keep an eye out for the free dining to be released since we both really enjoy the plan.

We have CAA (the Canadian equivalent to AAA) so I'll have to figure out whether the percentage off the room would be better or worse than getting free meals.

Upvote 0

TestTrack

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you CAN'T use the AAA discount with special Disney offers such as the Free dining plan, right?

I'm just trying to sort out a budget for my sister and I to travel next year and we may keep an eye out for the free dining to be released since we both really enjoy the plan.

We have CAA (the Canadian equivalent to AAA) so I'll have to figure out whether the percentage off the room would be better or worse than getting free meals.

You are correct.

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

If you want to book packages then you have to go through a AAA Travel Agency. The reason for not being able to book the Free Dine Package with AAA is you can't get a discount on a discount. No double-dipping. But for all the other packages you will save as a AAA member booking through a AAA agent.

Upvote 0

RyMelEm

Original Poster
ok, not so sure I'm completely understanding everything. Here's what I think I've gotten so far

• You can get the AAA discount thur Disney AND by boking thur a AAA travel agent
  • You can get a Room Only discount using AAA by booking thur AAA but not thur Disney???
  • What if I'm wanting to book an entire package? Do I only receive the discount on the room?
Please help a really simple country gal understand! =)

Upvote 0

TestTrack

ok, not so sure I'm completely understanding everything. Here's what I think I've gotten so far

• You can get the AAA discount thur Disney AND by boking thur a AAA travel agent
  • You can get a Room Only discount using AAA by booking thur AAA but not thur Disney???
  • What if I'm wanting to book an entire package? Do I only receive the discount on the room?
Please help a really simple country gal understand! =)

You got a bit confused

1st point is correct

2nd point is backwards. Booking through ANYONE other than a AAA agent will get you only a room only discount and booking. You have to buy the tickets separate from the room booking. Booking through a AAA agent you can book a AAA package which contains the same room discount but includes the tickets and some other perks.

3rd point, in either case you really only save money on the room. My AAA agent informed me that there is no discount on the tickets when I booked. So basically the advantage of booking with a AAA agent is that they can book a package which includes room AND tickets on one reservation and includes some other perks.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

To clarify...

The AAA Offers are not a discount entitlement, but a marketing offer exclusively for AAA Members, meaning a limited number of discounted rooms are available at each resort for select room categories on each date during the offer period of 1/01/08 to 12/18/08. Once they sell out they are gone.

An AAA Room-Only Discount Offer can be booked directly with Disney, or through any Travel Agency, including AAA Travel.

An AAA Magic Moments Vacation Package Discount Offer can only be booked directly with an AAA Travel Agent. The discount, if available, will apply only to the room portion of your total package price.

An AAA Travel Agent can book any Disney discount offer, including the Free Dine Offer, based on availability. The AAA room discount would not apply. One and only one discount offer can be used on a reservation. As Carolyn1717 said, No double-dipping.

You will receive all included Disney Resort Guest and Vacation Package benefits regardless of how your reservation is booked, directly with Disney, or through any Travel Agency including AAA Travel.

To use any AAA discount offer you must have your active AAA membership card number at the time of the booking AND at check-in at your resort. Your card membership number will be recorded on your reservation and must match your physical card at the Front Desk.

An AAA discount offer CANNOT be booked (or even priced) by the Disney Reservation Center Cast without your membership number, so please have it ready at the time of your call.

AAA Travel is the official Travel Agency of the Walt Disney Travel Company. As such AAA Magic Moments Vacation Packages include the following additional benefits:

AAA Diamond Parking - Each MYW package room booking will receive a voucher that will provide Guests access to the AAA Diamond Parking which offers convenient, preferred parking spaces at all four Walt Disney World Theme Parks. Subject to availability, voucher required, block-out dates apply.

AAA Vacations Diamond Card - provides special savings on selected meals, merchandise, recreation and more at participating locations throughout the Walt Disney World Resort for AAA Vacations clients.

Disney's Story Time - available on any meal inclusive AAA Vacations Magic Your Way Package, including Plus Dine, Deluxe Dine, Premium and Platinum plans. Each person on the package will receive one voucher redeemable for an intimate storytelling experience with a Disney Character at the Expo Hall Theater at Magic Kingdom. Available only select days of the week. Advanced reservations are required at least 24 hours in advance and are subject to availability. Advanced Reservations can be made up to 90 days in advance by your AAA Travel Agent.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

is room selection limited with AAA or other discount offers?
It depends. It can be. Not by design, but due to occupancy rates.

The AAA discount is not automatic ... it's not like having a coupon. If rooms in a particular class in a particular resort are already selling very well, Disney no longer allows a discount on those rooms. Think about it ... if you own a store, and you have a few items selling very very well, you'll offer the discount on the stuff that isn't selling as well and you're not gonna offer the discount on the stuff that is already selling very well on its own.

Hypothetical example:
Let's just pretend they set the target occupancy rate at 80% (I have no indea what the magic number is, or whether the magic number changes from resort to resort and/or from room-type to room-type). If 80% or more of the rooms (per category, per resort) are already sold for any particular day, then they no longer offer the discount on those rooms. Caribbean Beach resort has 2,112 rooms. 384 of those rooms are "preferred location" rooms, and the remaining 1,728 are not. 80% of 384 is roughly 307; 80% of 1,728 is roughly 1,382. SO let's say for your dates that you are looking for the AAA discount on a preferred location room at CBR. Unfortunately for you, there are already 350 (of the 384) preferred location rooms booked for your dates. Since that is over the 80% threshold for preferred location rooms, the AAA discount isn't available. But you find out that the AAA discount is available for a standard room at CBR because only 1,100 rooms have been booked for your dates, which is lower than the 80% threshold for standard rooms.

Remember, the percentages are just my fantasy ... I have no idea where they set the bar.

I hope this all makes sense, and please let me know if it doesn't!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom