(CONFIRMED!) Moana is going to meet in AdventureLand during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!

Ryan H. Serowinski

I'm sorry(again), for taking the move very seriously, and that they couldn't just done it earlier, and you know what, I'm still waiting on that start date.

Thank you and i'll be excited when the move date is announced.

EricsBiscuit

I hate to disagree with Spirit but I think FM will happen (pure speculation on my part). It would steal the thunder from VOLCANO Bay. That is valuable! Anyway they could always tame down the ride. It makes thematic sense, successful IP tie in (unlike TRON), and would make one hell of a marketing campaign. They can always copy Mt Prometheus at TDS and I wouldn't complain and it'd save em $$$.

TWSITT

Somehow Universal has managed to dominate marketing at home and abroad. The Secret Life of Pets and to a lesser extent Sing! both had very strong marketing campaigns. Sing though capitalized on a lack of young moviegoers movies in December. Yes, Moana was still there, but it lost the hype after Thanksgiving which is when pretty much everyone made up their mind whether or not they would see it.

Moana should have done better yet, but its commercials weren't really that inspiring. For one my family hated Moana. I enjoyed it, but the music was obviously different (not as good as the Disney renaissance or Hamilton... for me it was in between, but still good). I feel like Moana's simple story was fine, but the journey to get there could have been a little more interesting and with a
better return of Maui to help Moana. Perhaps a bit less insults too? The humor was a sarcastic overkill that tried to be funny but mostly wasn't. For me 7/10.
Moana was not even in the same ballpark as La La Land. I know some may dislike it, but if you saw it in IMAX it was a breathtaking experience from beginning to end. The cinematography was enchanting paired with its gorgeous production, fine acting, and wonderous music. Another Day of Sun should have been nominated though instead of City of Stars although I knew the Oscars would make CoS win as they tend to like slower songs. Still a great song though.
I've since seen it once at home and it's nowhere near as good much like Interstellar or Gravity (the latter extremely boring on a TV). Anyway so for the meet & greet I would be depressed if it takes out The Tiki Room. A restaurant is silly too. There's so much room for expansion in MK. I would love to see the Tiki room get a new script, but would hate to see such a nice quaint classic go.

I think we need to remember that everyone is different and has different taste. My family has already bumped Moana up to their top 5 favorite Disney movies. Also, I recently visited some friends in DC who never talk about Disney or Disney Movies. However, they were raving about the soundtrack. They both purchased the soundtrack before even seeing the movie and said they listen to it everyday on their way to work. They had heard a song in a trailer for the movie and they were hooked. So marketing reached them somehow. I think Moana deserves a spot in Adventureland. I hope it's not at the expense of Tiki but she does need to be in that area.

Bocabear

Unless they are going to demolish The Jungle Cruise, I don't see Fire mountain even fitting in Adventureland...Unless it sat WAY behind Jungle Cruise like they did for Indy in Disneyland...That side of the park would look odd with three mountains all in a row... Big Thunder, Splash and Fire Mountain...unfortiunately the place for another Iconic mountain was where the New Fantasyland currently sits...that should have been Mysterious Island with 20k Leagues and Journey To The Center Of The Earth like Tokyo Disney Seas .

FigmentJedi

Unless they are going to demolish The Jungle Cruise, I don't see Fire mountain even fitting in Adventureland...Unless it sat WAY behind Jungle Cruise like they did for Indy in Disneyland...That side of the park would look odd with three mountains all in a row... Big Thunder, Splash and Fire Mountain...unfortiunately the place for another Iconic mountain was where the New Fantasyland currently sits...that should have been Mysterious Island with 20k Leagues and Journey To The Center Of The Earth like Tokyo Disney Seas .
That's more or less the idea. There's an expansion pad behind and between Pirates and Jungle Cruise that Fire Mountain was earmarked for in the past. The plan would be to do a slight trim of the Cruise's route to accommodate a path to this pad that exists outside the berm and across the railroad tracks and there will be a village in the shadow of the Fire Mountain volcano that'll give Railroad guests something to look at in Adventureland besides trees.

Daveeeeed

I think we need to remember that everyone is different and has different taste. My family has already bumped Moana up to their top 5 favorite Disney movies. Also, I recently visited some friends in DC who never talk about Disney or Disney Movies. However, they were raving about the soundtrack. They both purchased the soundtrack before even seeing the movie and said they listen to it everyday on their way to work. They had heard a song in a trailer for the movie and they were hooked. So marketing reached them somehow. I think Moana deserves a spot in Adventureland. I hope it's not at the expense of Tiki but she does need to be in that area.

True, but I also want to have a voice for people here like my family that dislike it. I on the other hand enjoyed it, but still prefer every Disney revival film to it, but like you said it is just my opinion that it is a good film but not great, much like yours.

Adventureland somehow IMO doesn't actually work for Moana as it is themed to the Caribbean, South America, Jungles of Africa, and technically "Agrabah"

The main problem to me was Moana's marketing to an overall audience was not as good as it should have been. An (again IMO) inferior Sing should have no business outdoing what will be a classic animated Disney film... that's a marketing problem, and mainly what I was getting at.

TWSITT

True, but I also want to have a voice for people here like my family that dislike it. I on the other hand enjoyed it, but still prefer every Disney revival film to it, but like you said it is just my opinion that it is a good film but not great, much like yours.

Adventureland somehow IMO doesn't actually work for Moana as it is themed to the Caribbean, South America, and technically "Agrabah"

The main problem to me was Moana's marketing to an overall audience was not as good as it should have been. An (again IMO) inferior Sing should have no business outdoing what will be a classic animated Disney film... that's a marketing problem, and mainly what I was getting at.

I work in Marketing so I know what you mean, they could have spent more money and done more. However, I don't think Disney is too worried about Moana. She will probably make them a couple of billion in merchandise, musicals, costumes and toys for decades to come. Sing will be in a 5 dollar bin at Walmart.

Daveeeeed

Adventureland's waaay more Polynesian/South Seas then it is South America. South America's role in the land is really only that small stretch of the Jungle Cruise, which is just a mashup of all the great jungles
It does use Polynesian architecture in many places, but Moana is more about the ocean/coast if you know what I mean. It feels far more Hawaiian than South Seas. Moana could work, but unlike princesses in Fantasyland, or Tarzan in Adventureland to me it isn't ideal.

I wonder why Elena of Avalon even deserves a place in a Fantasyland tough. That needs to stick to a quick meet & greet at Disney Jr. Live on Stage -- she's just a quick cash grab and is not even in the main canon. (Queue pitchforks!)

Unbelievable the demand to meet princesses nowadays.
Also other questionable meet & greet decisions are simply that they have so many and are hyping them as attractions, I feel like that is part of the problem too.

Why does Moana even need a meet & greet that is inside? Why can't she just take photos outside?
Meet & Greets are not very fun, you stand in a line to take a photo which by definition is not exciting, so it should not be hyped up with a 70 minute wait.

Daveeeeed

I work in Marketing so I know what you mean, they could have spent more money and done more. However, I don't think Disney is too worried about Moana. She will probably make them a couple of billion in merchandise, musicals, costumes and toys for decades to come. Sing will be in a 5 dollar bin at Walmart.
100% true. Box office receipts are far from everything (especially for Disney princesses:D).

But the lost money far out ways the effort into putting together better commercials, and frankly keep them running a bit longer than they did. Of course we can always complain what they didn't do, but as it was happening I was thinking that it was a missed opportunity.

TWSITT

100% true. Box office receipts are far from everything (especially for Disney princesses:D).

But the lost money far out ways the effort into putting together better commercials, and frankly keep them running a bit longer than they did. Of course we can always complain what they didn't do, but as it was happening I was thinking that it was a missed opportunity.

If I remember correctly Frozen didn't have too much marketing before it's release. Maybe Disney was hoping Moana would have the same outcome that the Frozen sisters had. However, I think all the Youtube videos of kids (and adults) singing Let it Go helped that one last a while.

Daveeeeed

If I remember correctly Frozen didn't have too much marketing before it's release. Maybe Disney was hoping Moana would have the same outcome that the Frozen sisters had. However, I think all the Youtube videos of kids (and adults) singing Let it Go helped that one last a while.
Interesting too is that Frozen's commercials "undermarketed it" -- being that they had enough commercials etc. just they were only okay. So when word of mouth spread the response was almost always fantastic as it was so much better than expected. Frozen also kept more advertisements running through early December unlike Moana.

It was also a bit different... Frozen was a perfect storm.

Bocabear

That's more or less the idea. There's an expansion pad behind and between Pirates and Jungle Cruise that Fire Mountain was earmarked for in the past. The plan would be to do a slight trim of the Cruise's route to accommodate a path to this pad that exists outside the berm and across the railroad tracks and there will be a village in the shadow of the Fire Mountain volcano that'll give Railroad guests something to look at in Adventureland besides trees.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea, but when you look at the map, there is not a lot of room there... The train would run right through the middle of whatever you are building if it is something of any size... Which would be great too.... Compare it to the footprint for say Matterhorn...it does not appear it would fit in the area unless you substantially cut back the Jungle Cruise...and the Matterhorn is a pretty small footprint for a mountain of it's size... it is fairly vertical... The Matterhorn footprint would however fit where the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse currently sits and would bring the attraction closer to the main esplanade...though I cringe at the idea of losing the treehouse...
Unfortunately, the way they built Pirates, kind of screwed up using that expansion slot unless you dramatcially shorten the Jungle Cruise and then create a very long walk back to where it would sit...

EricsBiscuit

Really the Matterhorn makes no sense at all. Is it Fl or TL? I'm talking about theme btw not park maps. Anyway FM makes a ton of sense and there obviously is enough space if they were gonna build it at some point.

Bocabear

Really the Matterhorn makes no sense at all. Is it Fl or TL? I'm talking about theme btw not park maps. Anyway FM makes a ton of sense and there obviously is enough space if they were gonna build it at some point.
OMG, ok reread, I was using the matterhorn as a footprint for a large mountain attraction...you know, as a space comparison...Laying over the existing footprint of the park and Adventureland. There is no open space that would fit it, unless the Jungle Cruise is pared back, or runs through it...likewise with the train.

MrHappy

I read a very interesting article comparing Frozen to Moana in terms of factors effecting the box office:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...-frozen-but-its-still-a-big-hit/#10ba3b2d7341

Basically time and competition were the drivers of success and UBER success. IMHO, Frozen, has a far superior story with better charter/character development while Moana visuals are off the charts and has a strong soundtrack (aside from the 'Let It Go' phenomenon). I think Moana missed with the Maui character - but that's for another thread.

With that, Moana absolutely deserves an attraction. The volcano makes great sense. Besides being a volcano which is kick @zz on it's own, it's the only part of the movie with some depth (don't want to play spoiler - but for those who saw it should know what I mean).

tribbleorlfl

Somehow Universal has managed to dominate marketing at home and abroad. The Secret Life of Pets and to a lesser extent Sing! both had very strong marketing campaigns. Sing though capitalized on a lack of young moviegoers movies in December. Yes, Moana was still there, but it lost the hype after Thanksgiving which is when pretty much everyone made up their mind whether or not they would see it.

Moana should have done better yet, but its commercials weren't really that inspiring. For one my family hated Moana. I enjoyed it, but the music was obviously different (not as good as the Disney renaissance or Hamilton... for me it was in between, but still good). I feel like Moana's simple story was fine, but the journey to get there could have been a little more interesting and with a
better return of Maui to help Moana. Perhaps a bit less insults too? The humor was a sarcastic overkill that tried to be funny but mostly wasn't. For me 7/10.
Moana was not even in the same ballpark as La La Land. I know some may dislike it, but if you saw it in IMAX it was a breathtaking experience from beginning to end. The cinematography was enchanting paired with its gorgeous production, fine acting, and wonderous music. Another Day of Sun should have been nominated though instead of City of Stars although I knew the Oscars would make CoS win as they tend to like slower songs. Still a great song though.
I've since seen it once at home and it's nowhere near as good much like Interstellar or Gravity (the latter extremely boring on a TV). Anyway so for the meet & greet I would be depressed if it takes out The Tiki Room. A restaurant is silly too. There's so much room for expansion in MK. I would love to see the Tiki room get a new script, but would hate to see such a nice quaint classic go.
I don't necessarily disagree with you Disney under-marketed Moana. Personally, I think they were a little cautious after some of the early noise coming from the Pacific Islander community, and I believe that had a clear impact on its BO performance.

However, Sing, with it's "superior" marketing only beat Moana domestically by $20 MM, and was actually edged out by Moana by $13 MM for total worldwide gross. Currently, Moana is handing both Sing and TSLoP their rears when it comes to home video sales. Both Sing and TSLoP merchandise is sitting on the clearance shelves at my Target while Moana merch is prominently displayed and seems to be selling well.

While I'm sure TWDC execs had hoped for a better box office haul, they always take the long path with IP profitability and Moana will be no exception. It was an absolutely wonderful film and would translate well to any number of theme park attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom