CONFIRMED JINGLE CRUISE RETURNING FOR 2017

ToTBellHop

JC is only dated because the ride hasn't seen a major refurb or plussing for decades, originally it was one of the superheadliner E-Ticket attractions. The more adventurous character that was originally planned for the attraction got lost when the skippers became more or less standup comedians and all more adventurous elements where sacrificed for political correctness, beginning e.g. with the cancelled shooting of the hippos. I consider the level of jokes has become a little overkill in the last years and I am increasingly annoyed by the behaviour of several skippers which takes the ride even the last remains of it's original atmosphere. It is the epitomic attraction of the entire Adventureland and if you want to realize what it means for the theming of the entire area, go to DLP to see how a Disneyland park without the JC feels. Uncomplete, something is missing, you never get that feeling of being in a remote outpost of civilization, bordering on the green hell of the tropical rainforest. I have videos shot in the early 90ies, skippers where also doing jokes at that time but not over the entire ride and there were more thrills too. With a MAJOR refurb, new state of the art AAs, a mixture of new and traditional elements, a more adventurous storyline and less corny jokes it could become a ride again that is more like the original intended character.
And why should the skippers decorate anything else beside their boats? Why decorate the rainforest?
So you don’t like Jungle Cruise. That’s fine. It’s not for everyone. The refurb you speak of is unnecessary when they have Kilimanjaro Safaris. Jungle Cruise, with all its absurdity, has developed a cult following. When you can see real hippos and elephants readily, AA versions always look ridiculous. I view the ride as a last remnant of the Adventurer’s Club experience.

The skippers decorate the rainforest because it’s not a rainforest. It’s a ride. And they embrace that fact, which is why Shir-Lee’s Temple probably leads to a gift shop.

I find lines like “your wife makes great soup” to be hilariously edgy, something Disney is not known for elsewhere. It’s also refreshing to see a ride that admits that building multiple theme parks with rides themed to be something they aren’t is inherently silly.

Walt’s original idea to have real animals on display in a relatively small area simply doesn’t work in 2017. So why try to make it seem “real”?

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

And why should the skippers decorate anything else beside their boats? Why decorate the rainforest?

I could be wrong, but I believe the premise is that a good deal of the skippers' holiday decorations were supposed to be air dropped to them at the boathouse, but instead were accidentally dropped all over the jungle. The only thing that the skippers themselves actually decorated are the boats and the queue, the rest was accidental.

JohnD

As already several commentators wrote, "Jingle Cruise" is such a forced and inadequate overlay that doesn't even remotely fit to the attraction that I consider it far better to have no christmas-related overlays instead of completely inappropriate ones. I mean, christmas decoration in a tropical jungle environment? That was a stupid idea from the beginning on and I consider the news that they will return a BAD decision. We were considering a trip to the World before the christmas crowds start and I don't like the idea that one of my favorite rides is spoiled during the entire stay.

How can a corny overlay not be fit for an attraction with corny jokes? It's not like they're going for accuracy. I think it's fun. If you don't like it, don't ride.

Fox&Hound

JC is only dated because the ride hasn't seen a major refurb or plussing for decades, originally it was one of the superheadliner E-Ticket attractions. The more adventurous character that was originally planned for the attraction got lost when the skippers became more or less standup comedians and all more adventurous elements where sacrificed for political correctness, beginning e.g. with the cancelled shooting of the hippos. I consider the level of jokes has become a little overkill in the last years and I am increasingly annoyed by the behaviour of several skippers which takes the ride even the last remains of it's original atmosphere. It is the epitomic attraction of the entire Adventureland and if you want to realize what it means for the theming of the entire area, go to DLP to see how a Disneyland park without the JC feels. Uncomplete, something is missing, you never get that feeling of being in a remote outpost of civilization, bordering on the green hell of the tropical rainforest. I have videos shot in the early 90ies, skippers where also doing jokes at that time but not over the entire ride and there were more thrills too. With a MAJOR refurb, new state of the art AAs, a mixture of new and traditional elements, a more adventurous storyline and less corny jokes it could become a ride again that is more like the original intended character.

Yeah, I have to agree with @MansionButler84 on this. Even if they put in brand new AA's you are still riding around a river looking at fake animals. Why would that be appealing when you have AK? IMHO, AK destroyed the visual appeal of JC and demanded the ride change to what is has become. We are not talking about singing bird AA's in Tiki or AA's of iconic characters. We are literally talking about AA's of real life counterparts that are done better (obviously) in their real life representation in AK. Honestly, if this ride was not Walt's baby, I feel like it would have gotten the axe a long time ago. Sorry...And this is coming from a guy who still enjoys the ride, corny jokes and all.

ToTBellHop

How can a corny overlay not be fit for an attraction with corny jokes? It's not like they're going for accuracy. I think it's fun. If you don't like it, don't ride.
He doesn’t seem to like Jungle Cruise.

I HATE CBJ. I bet I would’ve hated their Christmas hoedown or whatever the heck they did. But some people love CBJ, which is great for them. I don’t need to enjoy everything.

ToTBellHop

I could be wrong, but I believe the premise is that a good deal of the skippers' holiday decorations were supposed to be air dropped to them at the boathouse, but instead were accidentally dropped all over the jungle. The only thing that the skippers themselves actually decorated are the boats and the queue, the rest was accidental.
Interesting. That makes sense given the visuals.

Jones14

Yay! Glad to see this is returning. I wonder if they’ll plus it again, or if it will remain the same as last year’s version.

dgp602

OK, now that this is done with and the Jingle Cruise IS in fact returning, can we get on with more important things now? When is the "Crane spotting at the Castle" thread going to appear? Isn't it about now when the lights are started to be placed on? :)

ToTBellHop

OK, now that this is done with and the Jingle Cruise IS in fact returning, can we get on with more important things now? When is the "Crane spotting at the Castle" thread going to appear? Isn't it about now when the lights are started to be placed on? :)
Already happened. Vacations were ruined. Babies wept.

Christmas is little more than a month away.

Last edited:

NearTheEars

As already several commentators wrote, "Jingle Cruise" is such a forced and inadequate overlay that doesn't even remotely fit to the attraction that I consider it far better to have no christmas-related overlays instead of completely inappropriate ones. I mean, christmas decoration in a tropical jungle environment? That was a stupid idea from the beginning on and I consider the news that they will return a BAD decision. We were considering a trip to the World before the christmas crowds start and I don't like the idea that one of my favorite rides is spoiled during the entire stay.

A bunch of boat tour guides in a remote location creating Christmas decorations from what they have on hand in order to enjoy the holiday doesn’t fit for you thematically? I think it does.

Now, if you see that as kind of a “Dinorama looks bad on purpose” excuse I can’t really defend that.

TiggerDad

I was changing out "???" to "!!!" as apples-apples. Whatever floats the moderator's Jingle Cruise boat.
I'm not a mod, so feel free to ignore but I was referring to the all-caps, which is the online equivalent of screaming, not the exclamation points.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom