Confirmed: Disney Parks Investor Waleed Bin Talal Arrested

mgf

Original Poster
Reports from SA say that Waleed Bin Talal has been arrested. Talal was a significant shareholder (~9%) in Disney Paris up until a buyout this spring.

He has been mentioned several times on this board as a possible investor in WDW, so I thought it might be of interest.

ETA: A quick forum search says he may have also been involved with the Four Seasons/Golden Oaks deal.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Reports from SA say that Waleed Bin Talal has been arrested. Talal was a significant shareholder (~9%) in Disney Paris up until a buyout this spring.

He has been mentioned several times on this board as a possible investor in WDW, so I thought it might be of interest.

ETA: A quick forum search says he may have also been involved with the Four Seasons/Golden Oaks deal.

Only items I found are tweets like:
The Spectator Index‏ @spectatorindex 26m26 minutes ago
BREAKING: Saudi Arabia arrests billionaire Waleed bin Talal, whose company has holdings in Twitter, News Corporation and Citibank.
Ali Hashem علي هاشم‏Verified account @alihashem_tv 12m12 minutes ago
The heads of the main three Saudi owned TV networks were arrested, Alwalid Bin Talal (Rotana), Walid Al Brahim (MBC), Saleh Kamel (ART)

So its just politics as usual in the Saudi Kingdom.

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I doubt this will have any effect on Disney at all. There is a lot more going on with these arrests, seems very political.

http://time.com/5010589/saudi-arabia-arrests/\

"Analysts have suggested the arrest of once-untouchable members of the royal family is the latest sign that the 32-year-old crown prince is moving to quash potential rivals or critics. The prince’s swift rise to power has unnerved more experienced, elder members of the ruling Al Saud family, which has long ruled by consensus, though ultimate decision-making remains with the monarch."

peter11435

I believe this may have an impact in Florida more than we know. I suspect this is the person @WDW1974 alluded too (very cryptically albeit) in older posts. He suggested that there was a resident of Golden Oak that was on the radar of security and could have aided the reasons to expedite additional security measures a couple of years ago.
I highly doubt that wdw1974 has any knowledge of the inner workings of the Saudi government and find it incredibly unlikely he had any insight into the arrests.

That said it is very possible he is who 74 was referencing but for unrelated reasons.

Kamikaze

I believe this may have an impact in Florida more than we know. I suspect this is the person @WDW1974 alluded too (very cryptically albeit) in older posts. He suggested that there was a resident of Golden Oak that was on the radar of security and could have aided the reasons to expedite additional security measures a couple of years ago.

Wait wait wait. Are you saying that Waleed Bin Talal was going to do something at WDW that required security to stop it? Like carry out some sort of attack?

This arrest has nothing to do with him being a 'terrorist' or a threat to anyone but the Saudi crown prince who is trying to consolidate power and control anyone who could possibly have anything over his head.

And the idea that WDW1974 would in any way have some sort of inside information about this is not only laughable, its downright hallucinogenic.

RSD Part Deux

I never said he was a threat or a terrorist. I suggest that the fact he is a resident there poses a threat. I’m only speculating and connecting my own dots. I’m going to try to find Spirits posts and put them here. Unless he chimes in here and confirms or denies.

Kamikaze

I never said he was a threat or a terrorist. I suggest that the fact he is a resident there poses a threat. I’m only speculating and connecting my own dots. I’m going to try to find Spirits posts and put them here. Unless he chimes in here and confirms or denies.

What are you saying is the threat? That he is going to attack WDW? Or that someone is going to attack him? Are you saying that he is a terrorist or not?

There's no reason to quote 'Spirit'. He has no information on this topic than what is posted in the news.

Last edited:

RSD Part Deux

What are you saying is the threat? That he is going to attack WDW? Or that someone is going to attack him? Are you saying that he is a terrorist or not?

There's no reason to quote 'Spirit'. He has no information on this topic than what is posted in the news.

Spirits made posts over two years ago - I think these posts were referencing this guy. How could Spirit have talked about arrests two years before they happened? I AM NOT SAYING HE IS A TERRORIST. I'm not sure why you keep referencing the word terrorist. You are the only one that keeps using that word. And I already told you I am not saying that. Please go back and re-read the threads. What I am saying, is that perhaps having this guy as an owner on property attracts either people who have a grudge against him, or are his enemy, or someone with a mental health issue. He draws unwanted attention. That is what poses a security threat.

No Name

He doesn't live in Golden Oak, he lives in Saudi Arabia.

And it's very sad to hear that he was arrested for basically no reason. Don't know a lot about the situation but I hope this whole mess gets fixed soon. He's a good looking guy too, like 10 times hotter than Bob Iger.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No it's not. You're a lousy systems analyst.

Really,

The new crown prince just arrested everyone who was a political threat to him, Including the head of the military and internal security forces.

the 'Magic' kingdom AKA Saudi Arabia is a reference to SA's laws against the practice of Magic and Sorcery. the fact that neither is real does not deter the government from sentencing 'magicians' and 'witches' to death.

Yes the spirit which animated the salem witch hunts is alive and well in SA

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
He doesn't live in Golden Oak, he lives in Saudi Arabia.

And it's very sad to hear that he was arrested for basically no reason. Don't know a lot about the situation but I hope this whole mess gets fixed soon. He's a good looking guy too, like 10 times hotter than Bob Iger.

He was arrested because he was a threat to the Crown Prince's consolidation of power, Well at least his misery will be short lived with a show trial and public execution.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Having a person that high profile at Golden Oak makes Golden Oak itself a target for various deranged individuals and political 'activists'. As such a legitimate concern for Disney security.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom