Condor Flats becoming Grizzly Peak Airfield

loveglobe

Let's keep things on topic. :) There are plenty of threads about DHS in the other sub-forums, if you would like to tall about it there.

Ouch, that's cold. :cold::cry: :)

I fully admitted I was veering off course a bit, but I brought it up in the context of the overall need for this refurb versus other park areas which is a topic that is already being discussed here. If you take the DHS part out of it, I'm still wondering if people feel this is the most necessary park update to be made even within DCA. Like you posted here already, I agree that the Mad T Party area is really bad and think that could've used work before Condor Flats which at least isn't a total waste of space.

George Lucas on a Bench

A Monorail station would be awesome, but I don't see them doing it.

Thank you all for the photo updates - it's cool to see the progress as it goes along!

I didn't mind Condor Flats though I agree it wasn't the most interesting area of the park. While I can see why they want to "plus" it and I welcome the upgrade, I also think DHS is in far more desperate need for re-imagineering. Not to highjack this thread, but is it just me or is that park just so so sad?

It is and it isn't. It has some awesome attractions, like The Great Movie Ride and WDW Tower of Terror, some nice areas and movie props/references that are always fun. But that's about it. They haven't kept the park current, there aren't enough rides and shows that were never that good haven't been updated in decades. DCA at least has gotten new rides and nice themed areas.

TP2000

I didn't mind Condor Flats though I agree it wasn't the most interesting area of the park. While I can see why they want to "plus" it and I welcome the upgrade, I also think DHS is in far more desperate need for re-imagineering. Not to highjack this thread, but is it just me or is that park just so so sad?

It's not just you. DHS is very sad. And embarrassing.

Meanwhile, in Anaheim, these were taken yesterday as Condor Flats becomes Grizzly Peak Airfield...

IMG_3131-L.jpg

Figments Friend

I*m looking forward to seeing what they have planned design-wise for this new *Airfield*.

Surprise me, WDI !
:)

Regarding DHS,
It was a much more interesting Park when it was still a actual functioning film and television production facility.
It had a good run, but it has always been my least favorite Disney Theme Park even back in those days.

When Disney Feature Animation Florida was shut down a few years back, it was the last straw.
The staleness and emptiness was now more obvious then ever.
I hope it can bounce back and find it*s identity again.

Last edited:

loveglobe

I*m looking forward to seeing what they have planned design-wise for this new *Airfield*.

Surprise me, WDI !
:)

Regarding DHS,
It was a much more interesting Park when it was still a actual functioning film and television production facility.
It had a good run, but it has always been my least favorite Disney Theme Park even back in those days.

When Disney Feature Animation Florida was shut down a few years back, it was the last straw.
The staleness and emptiness was now more obvious then ever.
I hope it can bounce back and find it*s identity again.

That's a good point. I see DCA as DHS 2.0, done much better and even moreso now with the addition of Carsland and the Hollywood area improvements (i.e. Red Trolleys). Having been to DHS just last month and seeing how much of a wasteland it is now especially with the American Idol attraction closed (the last "real-ish" entertainment industry attraction there), I'm just surprised this Condor Flats improvement had higher priority even over other DCA areas. Not upset that it's getting re-themed, in fact I'm excited to see what it'll be like, but I just don't quite understand the logic.

Figments Friend

I am pleased with the decision to refresh the Condor Flats area.
It needs it now that DCA has changed for the better over the last few years.
Several 'empty' areas of the Park that used to exist have now been re-thought for the better.
Details and texturing is now coming to the fore in the design mentality instead of just uninteresting open areas primarily built for use by retail locations and snack shacks.
Nothing screamed 'empty' to me more on recent visits to DCA 2.0 then the Condor Flats area.

The Flats always had the 'expanse of concrete' feel that most of DCA 1.0 seemed to exert during it's early life...at least, that was my visual impression when i visited back then.
Of course it was supposed to be a 'airfield' of sorts, so the tarmac and steel beam surroundings suited the theme...but it just was not a area one really wanted to hang around in.
Too 'urban' for my tastes.

I am optimistic that the changes will be more organic and bring in some much needed landscaping to the area to freshen things up a bit.
It's still going to be a 'airfield', but this time i am guessing it will have a more rural feel instead of a concrete and steel jungle.

Last edited:

TP2000

Another close up photo of Grizzly Peak Airfield construction. According to the last Miceage Update, this is the former Taste Pilots Grill that will be changed into a new restaurant called Smokejumpers Grill. Disney hasn't said a word about this, it's only info from Miceage Update/Micechat at this point.
IMG_3116-L.jpg

For the non-Westerners here, Smokejumpers are aerial firefighters who are airlifted into mountain forest fires and parachute into the blaze to fight the fire. It's pretty exciting stuff really, and it will be interesting to see what they do with this new Smokejumper theme. http://smokejumpers.com/index.php

Last edited:

TP2000

Thanks Nothsa! Mintcrocodile always gets great shots.

I noticed the Fly N' Buy sign off the store is gone, even thought it's not being repainted yet. Miceage Updates are saying Taste Pilots Grill is becoming Smokejumpers Grill, so it would be nice if they rename Fly N' Buy too.

Getting rid of as many of those "hip and edgy" pun names they gave the rather underwhelming locations in DCA 1.0 would be nice. It's just not necessary when the locations are actually well themed and tell meaningful stories, instead of being cheaply done and ladled with circa 2001 hipness as seen through the eyes of middle aged, WASPy Imagineers. :cool:

Next up should be restoring the letter G to the place names that had them dropped in 2001, in another lame attempt at being hip and edgy. I wouldn't mind if they called the attraction Soaring Over California, and if California Screamin' got an entirely new name based off of vintage roller coasters, something like California Comet or Paradise Pier Flyer.

Travel Junkie

From DPB: Love it!

The recent expansion ofDisney California Adventurepark gave us even more ways to immerse our guests in new stories, and we’re excited to continue this expanded storytelling this year with the addition of the Grizzly Peak Airfield.

The first phase of this expansion, the all-new Smokejumpers Grill, opens March 20. This new quick-service location takes inspiration from the brave men and women who fight wildfires in our California forests. In addition to a whole new look, the location will feature an updated menu with tasty items like a Bacon Cheddar Burger, Grilled Chicken & Jack Sandwich and Chili Cheeseburger!

This is just the beginning of the Grizzly Peak expansion, which will bring new building exteriors, landscape features and more to the former Condor Flats area. Lush pine trees will bring cool areas of shade, making our guests feel they have been transported to California’s High Sierras.

When the rest of the area opens later this spring,Soarin’ Over Californiawill also reopen with updates to its screen and projection system, bringing a visually enhanced experience. We’ll have more details to share here on theDisney Parks Blogas the project progresses.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...xpansion-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom