Condensing the Magic - Brainstorming Ideas for a disney park 30 acres or less

EmFromPlanetEarth

Original Poster
Now if you thought walt disney studios park was small, even hong Kong Disneyland sans its expansions, then imagine a disney park in less than 30 acres. Thats what i am going to try today. if anyone wants to join in on designing the smallest traditional magic kingdom park feel free to help with mine or your own. Some ideas. For it include only having fantasyland, tomorrowland, and adventureland. Possibly frontierland too but who knows. instead of mainstreet usa, after seeing this old map of disney world, i was inspired to have the castle as the entrance, and youd go right into fantasyland, witj it being more of the main hub. Probably no railroad, but yeah
17EFF8D7-EEB0-4614-B417-8D1BC522C8F1.jpeg

MickeyMouse10

Interesting, 3 does seem like the magic number. I'm thinking Adventureland, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. But it's really a toss up between Adventure and Frontier.

MickeyMouse10

I went with Adventureland because it's a broader term. There's not as many usable IPs for Frontier and everytime they tried to make ones (Home on the Range, Lone Ranger) it didn't work out.

Outbound

Now if you thought walt disney studios park was small, even hong Kong Disneyland sans its expansions, then imagine a disney park in less than 30 acres. Thats what i am going to try today. if anyone wants to join in on designing the smallest traditional magic kingdom park feel free to help with mine or your own. Some ideas. For it include only having fantasyland, tomorrowland, and adventureland. Possibly frontierland too but who knows. instead of mainstreet usa, after seeing this old map of disney world, i was inspired to have the castle as the entrance, and youd go right into fantasyland, witj it being more of the main hub. Probably no railroad, but yeah View attachment 636641
This is a fun exercise. I'd echo @MickeyMouse10 's suggestion of three lands: Fantasyland as the central hub (with the Castle as the entrance, great idea @EmFromPlanetEarth) with either Adventure/Frontier on the left and Tomorrowland on the right.

We should brainstorm the most essential "classics" of the Castle Parks to whittle down. Rides that consistently appear in almost every resort and are needed for that classic "magical Disneyland experience". This could be a budget park given its smaller size, but you still want to capture all the right picturesque Disneyland moments. Here are my immediate thoughts --

Fantasyland
  • Carrousel
  • Dumbo
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • It's A Small World
Adventureland
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Haunted Mansion
Tomorrowland
  • Space Mountain
  • Star Tours / Other Simulator (?)
I suggest taking these rides (and we could add/subtract from this list as we discuss further) and building from there with the remaining space original attractions or one-offs from other resorts to insert into the gaps. 30 Acres is a small park, but if everything were tightly condensed, it may be possible!

MickeyMouse10

You could always do something out of the box like make each land based on one of the Florida parks. So there would be a Hollywood Land, Magic Land, International Land and Animal Land.

MickeyMouse10

This is a fun exercise. I'd echo @MickeyMouse10 's suggestion of three lands: Fantasyland as the central hub (with the Castle as the entrance, great idea @EmFromPlanetEarth) with either Adventure/Frontier on the left and Tomorrowland on the right.

We should brainstorm the most essential "classics" of the Castle Parks to whittle down. Rides that consistently appear in almost every resort and are needed for that classic "magical Disneyland experience". This could be a budget park given its smaller size, but you still want to capture all the right picturesque Disneyland moments. Here are my immediate thoughts --

Fantasyland
  • Carrousel
  • Dumbo
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • It's A Small World
Adventureland
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Haunted Mansion
Tomorrowland
  • Space Mountain
I suggest taking these rides (and we could add/subtract from this list as we discuss further) and building from there with the remaining space original attractions or one-offs from other resorts to insert into the gaps. 30 Acres is a small park, but if everything were tightly condensed, it may be possible!

I love the idea of putting Haunted Mansion in Adventureland. I can't believe they haven't done that in a Disney park.

Outbound

You could always do something out of the box like make each land based on one of the Florida parks. So there would be a Hollywood Land, Magic Land, International Land and Animal Land.
This sounds really cool! Sorta condensing the entirety of WDW in one day-sized package.

I love the idea of putting Haunted Mansion in Adventureland. I can't believe they haven't done that in a Disney park.
I know! Even better, Disney has a weird / seemingly random tradition of placing their Haunted Mansions in different lands for each park, but they've still never chosen Adventureland. CA has New Orleans, MK Liberty Square, Paris Frontierland, and Tokyo Fantasyland. Adventureland keeps the tradition alive!

EmFromPlanetEarth

Original Poster

Fantasyland
  • Carrousel
  • Dumbo
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • It's A Small World
Adventureland
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Haunted Mansion
Tomorrowland
  • Space Mountain
Id also put some unique ride takes, possibly a outdoor test track style autopia version. Likely slower speeds and smaller cars but overall the same ride system. also buzz lightyear, the peoplemover, and orbitron. Unless we could increase it to 35, then it would likely be 10 acres per land. Though they wouldnt beexact copies, but some of the essentials. Id eliminate small world and tiki room most likely, and in its places put a storybook canal boats or some hilly centerpiece in the center of the fantasyland hub. Thered also be a pirates water coaster and possibly a mine cart ride. I would definitely focus on original attractions. The shape of the park would be a sort of t shape, with a small little straight path into the main rectangle area whrre the attractions are. And i wouldnt rule out expansions. for the sake of the extra walkway I’ll probably increase the limit to 35 acres not counting backstage/expansion plots.

EmFromPlanetEarth

Original Poster
They don’t necessarily have to be clones, for example space mountain could be unique, a little bigger than anaheim but smaller than magic kingdom. Keep in mind this wont count backstage

EmFromPlanetEarth

Original Poster
The backstage areas would also be laid out in a way that kind of circles around the park. Id say for a better image the park with backstage it’s probably at most 10 acres larger. including expansion id probably allocate 15 acres for expansion purposes. Also yes that disney world themed park is a cool idea but my concern would be the cramped space in the animal kingdom area. There likely wouldnt be alot of space for the animals. But idk for that id say if the park was magic kingdom sized it could work. Probably best for a seperste project

tcool123

One thing that has been interesting me lately has been influencing some of my own blue sky ideas is multistory buildings and rides which allows for more experiences in a smaller footprint.

We see this in Magic with Launching Pad, Peoplemover, Astro Orbiter. As well as Transformers at Universal and Alice in Wonderland at Disneyland both of which are multistory rides to save space.

EmFromPlanetEarth

Original Poster
One thing that has been interesting me lately has been influencing some of my own blue sky ideas is multistory buildings and rides which allows for more experiences in a smaller footprint.

We see this in Magic with Launching Pad, Peoplemover, Astro Orbiter. As well as Transformers at Universal and Alice in Wonderland at Disneyland both of which are multistory rides to save space.
Your forgetting the big one. Super nintendo world.
It has 2 attractions, a handful of interactive experiences, a table service restaurant and 2 snack stands, 2 shops, and another ride on the way. must be a massive land right?
2615653E-BAAB-42EA-949C-49B3B7400968.png

Nope.
Compare this to galaxys edge, a land drastically larger than this, but with about the same amount of offerings.
3762C831-D915-4D11-8050-2775DAE1B8A5.png

EmFromPlanetEarth

Original Poster
@Outbound got anything to add to what i expressed? Also another example of a tiny park is grona lund in sweden. Or if you really want a tiny park look at joyland childrens park. Two rokler coasters, a dark ride, a handful of other kiddie rides and more all in less than 1 measly acre. WOW

MickeyMouse10

Great idea, I've been thinking the same thing about Disneyland's footprint. They don't have the luxury of space that Florida has. So maybe they should build upward to compensate.

MickeyMouse10

For instance, if every table and quick service was on the 2nd floor. Then there would be more room for stores, queues and stroller parking on the 1st floor.

Last edited:

EmFromPlanetEarth

Original Poster
Idk if i can see a multistory design working in a magic kingdom style park. Even if not i think 35 acres is still doable. Hong kong was small but i think its flaw was that there really wasnt much even for its small space snd what it did offer wasnt the most unique

MickeyMouse10

Idk if i can see a multistory design working in a magic kingdom style park. Even if not i think 35 acres is still doable. Hong kong was small but i think its flaw was that there really wasnt much even for its small space snd what it did offer wasnt the most unique

Like tcool said, it's been done in the parks already. It just hasn't been done on a large scale yet.

Examples

Walt's restaurant in Paris (overlooks Main Street), Disneyland Paris Hotel, the Railroad station, the Peoplemover, Astro Orbiter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, The Land pavilion, Tron, Club 33, Downtown Disney and many of the Resort Towers.

Last edited:

EmFromPlanetEarth

Original Poster
Like tcool said, it's been done in the parks already. It just hasn't been done on a large scale yet.

Examples

Walt's restaurant in Paris (overlooks Main Street), Disneyland Paris Hotel, the Railroad station, the Peoplemover, Astro Orbiter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, The Land pavilion, Tron, Club 33, Downtown Disney and many of the Resort Towers.
Yeah, i know, id definitely do a peoplemover, just maybe not alot of multi story rides and structuees. I thought you meant make the whole park multistory. I think small scale stuff is fine hut i cant really imagine it in a park wide scale. Definetly elevated queues though, having elevation and lots of stuff is cool. I also like the star tours tokyo elevated exit walkeay

EmFromPlanetEarth

Original Poster
Heres an unique idea. for tomorrowland, how about we lean to that retrofuture that never was thing like before, but still sleek. Everythings round, purples, blues, and whites abound. my idea for space mountain would be to make it feel like a space airport, for the queue at least. Lean into the starport stuff a bit more and have it be like your on a chaotic space flight. Orr you could merge it with star tours, or theme star tours to a different property or a original idea. oooh perhaps like space police or a time travelling ride. And the land could be a theme of a sort of hub for future culture,, races are held, airports, theres even space ranger recruit facilities, and inventions galore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom