Concierge & DDP

dvcnut39

I realize that we aren't going to WDW for another 18 months, but I'm looking for some insight. We are DVC members and next year we are going to have some extra points so I think we are going to stay at AKV's concierge level. If this was you, would you still pay for the DDP or just pay as you go. I realize that if we don't buy the DDP, that it wouldn't make sense to eat at the same level of restaurants every night, but we would eat at Crystal Palace, Le Cellier, etc, half of the nights. What would you do?

I think it depends on whether your family is the "open the park and stay until it's dark" kind of group. You might not be at the AKL enough to enjoy the lounge that much.

Concierge level offerings and DDP is an awful lot of food. The breakfast, early evening appetizers and hot food, and desserts at the Kilimangaro Club are soooo good, not to mention the wines, beers, and cordials!
I can't imagine anyone eating all the food on the DDP and still having any room to enjoy so much as a pretzel in the concierge lounge.
If you're not going to enjoy the food, why spend the extra points?

Do you have annual passes? You could buy the TIW discount card for when you want to eat TS dinners. This way, you won't feel the sting of paying full price.

Upvote 0

dvcnut39

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. We're going to end up losing some points unless we stay at the concierge. Staying longer is not an option. That's were the dilemma kicks in. Stay in the concierge and don't get the DDP or move into a larger room and get the DDP?

Upvote 0
There are lots of variables here.

1)How long are you staying?
a) If you're there a week or more, you won't be hanging around the resort enjoying the food. You'll try it for a couple of days and, after that, probably be in the parks more than at the resort.

Do you have an annual pass?
a) The TIW card might save you enough on the few TS meals you really don't want to do without. It pays for itself very quickly.

Does your party usually eat all meals on the DDP with no leftover credits?
a) If you're big eaters, the food at concierge will not be enough and you'll need DDP. We don't usually book a TS for every night so the discount provided by the TIW card is better for us.

Clearly, everyone is different. Weigh your pros and cons knowing that, whatever you choose, AKL is a great resort.

Good luck!!

Upvote 0

dvcnut39

Original Poster
Again, thanks for your help. We'll be there for 7-9 nights. We do usually use all of the credits on the DDP, but we do have to stuff ourselves in order to do so.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I realize that we aren't going to WDW for another 18 months, but I'm looking for some insight. We are DVC members and next year we are going to have some extra points so I think we are going to stay at AKV's concierge level. If this was you, would you still pay for the DDP or just pay as you go. I realize that if we don't buy the DDP, that it wouldn't make sense to eat at the same level of restaurants every night, but we would eat at Crystal Palace, Le Cellier, etc, half of the nights. What would you do?

Hi there! My DH and I have been bumped up to the concierge level twice. We have never paid for it out of pocket. And we are huge fans of the Disney Dining Plan. We would get the DDP - every time, no matter what. As for "paying for" the concierge level? We can not justify the added cost. We would not have paid for it if we had to. Unless you plan on spending more days / time at the resort, rather then in the parks, then we can't justify the cost.

For example, a typical day with the pros and cons of having the concierge level and DDP. Get up and head to the park. Unless you are using a TS or snack for bfast, then this is an out of pocket expense. PRO - the concierge has your juice, coffee, fruit, bagels, yogurt, danishes, etc. No "warm" food like bacon and eggs. Head to the park, grab lunch with a CS and then head back to the resort for a break. PRO - snacks available like soda and chips and cookies. Get ready to head to Epcot for dinner where you are using a TS - before you go - grab a glass of wine and some warm appitizers - PRO AND CON - nice to have this offer but you get so much food with the DDP that if you fill up on the warm appitizers with the concierge level, you're too full for dinner.

What we calculated the added price per day would be to upgrade to Concierge, we could not jusify the cost based on the example above. The only time I think it might be worth it is if you stayed at the resort most days and ditched the dining plan. So you could eat at the Conceirge Level for bfast, lunch and snacks and apps - and then pay for dinner out of pocket.

The other perks - like turn down service and a discount on other things - we just didn't see the benefit. I hope this helps!!! :wave:

Upvote 0
I think DisneyGirl76's post is a perfect example of why you might not want concierge AND DDP.

If your typical day is like the one she described, go for a bigger room and stick to the DDP.

How many are in your party? You're a family with kids? IMO, bigger rooms are worth 10X more than appetizers and desserts anyday!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom