Concerns about the Matterhorn...

Phroobar

This was an old urban legend. Surprised people didn't notice what I thought was an obvious reference. I forget whether this is from the internet (early 2000s) or one of the urban legends that are debunked in Mouse Tales.

This is the reason why official Disney tour guides and vloggers come up with made up information like that.

Ismael Flores

I'm getting worried about the Matterhorn. The concrete falling a while back seems to indicate a grim end for the classic.

There's also a rumor floating around about the mountain. The rumor goes that the Matterhorn has suffered major water damage over the years and the sixty-year-old structure is pretty much beyond repair. If true, that means this attraction could either be completely destroyed, replaced with a new Matterhorn, or replaced with a different attraction.

Can this be verified? If this ride's numbers are up, what do you think would be the best path forward?

Not sure what else would fit in the plot of land that the matterhorn sits on. It doesn't seem that big of a plot to begin with so whatever is built would need to go vertical and not affect visual status of the Castle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 11.33.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 11.33.18 AM.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 83

Ismael Flores

Maybe its time for them to sit down and really come up with a plan that will include the matterhorn area and all of the old motorboat cruise area. The removal of the inner figure "8" loop of the monorail, the removal or reduction of the Autopia and then a good plan that will allow them to properly use that whole land for the expansion of Fantasyland.
A new Matterhorn that plays tribute to the existing one as a backdrop to their Frozen area that they are determine into shoving into Disney parks.

Even if they left the submarine attraction in tact and built over the showroom they would still have a little over 5.5 acres to work with.

mickEblu

I say build a new, better Matterhorn with a return of the crystal caverns. Have the footprint of the mountain take over the subs. Put a boat ride in the sub lagoon winding through the bottom caverns of the Matterhorn. Actually, let's expand on this: move the entirety of Storybookland to the base of the Matterhorn. Casey Jr. running through the mountain along with the canal boats. Would be pretty nice, honestly. Too bad current WDI would make it suck.

I was with you until you my said move Storybookland.

Love the idea of putting a boat ride in the Matterhorn caverns but If the Mattehorn takes over the sub footprint than that means there is no lagoon anymore. Unless I’m just not visualizing it right.

britain

If there's any truth to this, this may be why all talk about Tomorrowland redo / motorboat area / Fantasyland expansion has halted.

It's a tantalizing prospect - what would you do if you had to scrap ALL of the '59 additions and you had a 5th (or half if you're including all of TL) of Disneyland to redo?

TROR

I was with you until you my said move Storybookland.

Love the idea of putting a boat ride in the Matterhorn caverns but If the Mattehorn takes over the sub footprint than that means there is no lagoon anymore. Unless I’m just not visualizing it right.
I'm still imagining the lagoon, but waterfalls from the Matterhorn pour into it and the mountain grows along its northern shore.

britain

While my first thought was that I'd relocate the Matterhorn further back, I reckon it's serving too much of an important role as the wire-performer support structure in the nighttime shows.

britain

I'm still imagining the lagoon, but waterfalls from the Matterhorn pour into it and the mountain grows along its northern shore.

While I think the Matterhorn's location will remain the same, I do suspect that they would try to get more utility out of the location - something different at the lowest level like you're suggesting might do it.

I can't shake the knowledge that these guys would never build an IP-less ride like the Matterhorn today though. You just KNOW a new Matterhorn would be Frozen themed.

sigh

At least it would probably be less bumpy.

shambolicdefending

The downside to cutting-edge technology is that it almost always ends up being a nightmare to maintain throughout its lifetime.

I've wondered for a while if a total gutting and interior rebuild of the Matterhorn is inevitable. I can't see them ever bringing the whole mountain down and starting from scratch. But a 2-3 year hiatus to re-engineer and re-build the whole thing from the inside out wouldn't be too shocking.

JD2000

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn of a rebuild. As the inside looks to crumble and be patched year round. I would definitely want the scale to remain the same though. It would probably be striped down to the structural beams and re-tracked, rather than completely demolished and rebuilt.

Rich T

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn of a rebuild. As the inside looks to crumble and be patched year round. I would definitely want the scale to remain the same though. It would probably be striped down to the structural beams and re-tracked, rather than completely demolished and rebuilt.
The CM's would love a new basketball hoop!

Phroobar

I think the only way engineers can do it is strip it entirely back to the structural i-beams and install a modern track. The original was the first hand bent tube coaster in the world with People Mover tires to keep the sleads moving. That is why the ride is so jaring. It also has to transport fatter people. A modern track would be very different and impossible to install without a total strip back.

Rich T

If someone ever makes a feature length dramatized Walt Disney film bio, they had better include:

Foreign Dignitary: "Why is your Matterhorn full of holes?"
Walt: "Because it's a SWISS Mountain." (ba-dum tss!)

I don't care if Walt actually said it or if Marty Sklar made it up for the DL book or whatever. It needs to be immortalized on film. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom