Concerns about the Matterhorn...

T.Will

Original Poster
I'm getting worried about the Matterhorn. The concrete falling a while back seems to indicate a grim end for the classic.

There's also a rumor floating around about the mountain. The rumor goes that the Matterhorn has suffered major water damage over the years and the sixty-year-old structure is pretty much beyond repair. If true, that means this attraction could either be completely destroyed, replaced with a new Matterhorn, or replaced with a different attraction.

Can this be verified? If this ride's numbers are up, what do you think would be the best path forward?

T.Will

Original Poster
What's this water damage rumor I've never heard?
Essentially, the idea is that the structure has suffered damage over its lifetime, with water damage being a big part of it. The rumor claims that the Matterhorn is too old to last.

T.Will

Original Poster
The point of this is to find out if the rumor's true or not. I want the Matterhorn to stick around, and I want to clear the air on this rumor.

T.Will

Original Poster
Where have you been hearing these rumors?
"Insiders" from a few smaller forums and discords I'm part of. I put air quotes because I don't know if they're actual insiders or if it's the bus driver once more.

It's also why I'm not labeling this thread as a breaking rumor because this could all be bunk.

D.Silentu

Likely as not the recent concrete crumble on the Matterhorn was unrelated to larger issues. However, if these rumors of a declining structure are true, I can't bring myself to worry too much. Matterhorn is an icon, unique to Disneyland. Certainly they would replicate it and likely improve it in terms of rider comfortability. I realize there would be some sadness in seeing the original mountain go, but Disneyland has already changed so much that if it came to it I would welcome a safer and smoother ride.

180º

I wouldn’t mind a complete demo and rebuild of the Matterhorn, provided the result keeps the spirit of the original and a nearly identical exterior. I’d say I don’t have faith in WDI to pull it off, but now that I think of it — I wouldn’t trust WDI to re-adapt Pirates of the Caribbean or Sleeping Beauty Castle. But their track record with rockwork is excellent, and that just leaves the coaster itself. It could work.

planodisney

What I heard is that they are now under the realization that the current version isn’t going to make it long term going forward and are now coming up with “long term” plans to rebuild. This isn’t something in the immediate future but down the road. This is the rumor I’m hearing.

TROR

I say build a new, better Matterhorn with a return of the crystal caverns. Have the footprint of the mountain take over the subs. Put a boat ride in the sub lagoon winding through the bottom caverns of the Matterhorn. Actually, let's expand on this: move the entirety of Storybookland to the base of the Matterhorn. Casey Jr. running through the mountain along with the canal boats. Would be pretty nice, honestly. Too bad current WDI would make it suck.

Rich T

For me, the new bobsleds mostly ruined the ride and turned it into a bizarre jolly torture device, so I'm pretty good with redoing the whole thing. IF Disney rebuilt the mountain/ride with comfortable sleds and a smoother track, I'd say go for it. I honestly don't think Walt and the Matterhorn's creators ever envisioned the original build lasting to the year 2020. But I hope they'd keep the spirit of the original's kooky, ingenious, organic-feeling intertwining layout. It really is a unique and charming coaster experience for those able to endure the awful new seating.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I say build a new, better Matterhorn with a return of the crystal caverns. Have the footprint of the mountain take over the subs. Put a boat ride in the sub lagoon winding through the bottom caverns of the Matterhorn. Actually, let's expand on this: move the entirety of Storybookland to the base of the Matterhorn. Casey Jr. running through the mountain along with the canal boats. Would be pretty nice, honestly. Too bad current WDI would make it suck.

"You mean like this" - Chapek, probably.

Professortango1

If Matterhorn needs rebuilding, there's no possible way Disney doesn't make it a Frozen ride. They have stated they will only be making IP rides from here on out and Frozen actually fits Fantasyland and the concept of a snow coaster. I don't like it, but it seems inevitable. I mean, if they can look at the recently redone Buena Vista street and say "that 1930's hotel should be an oil refinery from space," its clear they don't mind shoving IP in when it isn't wanted.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
The rumor I heard is that the matternorn has been sinking 3 inches into the ground a year due to the nearby subs saturating the ground below it. This sinking has damaged the track significantly which is why there are extensive refurbs.

That's an interesting take. We'll have to see if they make any major changes / announcements once the Tomorrowland Refurb is inevitably underway.

Phroobar

The rumor I heard is that the matterhorn has been sinking 3 inches into the ground a year due to the nearby subs saturating the ground below it. This sinking has damaged the track significantly which is why there are extensive refurbs.
That's total BS. If that where anywhere near true, the mountain would be 15 feet shorter than it is right now. Also if it was sinking, three inches every year then the loading track would never match up with the ride's entrance every year. They would be constantly fixing it. Stop making things up.

Phroobar

At least it's not the Skyliner. That thing broke down after its first week of operation and stranded everyone for hours.

Something tells me they'll keep the Matterhorn going whatever it takes.

That blonde news anchor looks like she is wearing a face mask. She has no facial detail. She literally looks like two eyes, nose and mouth. She is kind of creepy looking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom