Trip Report COMPLETED: "What is Mickey hiding from anyway?" ACE GANG REUNION

Hello, all! I'm Abby.

Welcome to what is sure to be a long TR!!

I’ve finally returned to the real world after a fantastic reunion with my very best friends from college. I live in Florida these days and I have a pass but I haven’t done more than 3 consecutive days at Disney since I went with my family in 2008. So, for that reason and for the fact that I would get to spend plenty of time with the best besties ever, I was incredibly excited for this trip.​

IMG_0855.jpg

Here we are! I'm on the left then there's Kelsey, Cassie, Megan, and Val. We call ourselves the Ace Gang.

IMG_6221.JPG

We had all been talking about this trip since we graduated, and the hotel was booked a year out. Val and I did most of the planning. She’s from California and always seems to be at Disneyland. I’ve visited her 3 times there and it was finally time for her to come over to this side of the country. Since we were the planners (and we got the separate bedroom in our Finding Nemo suite), the rest of the girls took to calling us Mom and Dad. I was Dad since I did the driving and paid for a bunch of things so I could use my Tables in Wonderland card and everyone else could just pay me back later. We really cracked ourselves up throughout the trip, getting carried away with our inside joke and constantly trying to decide who was our favorite daughter.

We stayed at Art of Animation for 7 nights. Val and I had some extra time, and we did extra days at Disney and elsewhere in Florida. I didn’t take all too many photos on this trip. So I’ll include a bunch of photos I stole from Val, as it is probably more interesting to see WDW through the eyes of a first-timer anyway. Also, a number of these will be Memory Maker photos (We split the cost of this 5 ways and definitely got our money’s worth).​

Wednesday, October 15.
I left work about 3pm and drove down to Orlando. Waited in the MCO cell phone lot and then it was time to go grab Val!! We headed immediately to Magic Kingdom upon her arrival by way of TTC and a pretty crowded monorail and soon enough we were entering the park.

IMG_0361.JPG

Here we gooo!
Val was worried that her magic band wasn’t going to work but everything went completely smoothly. We were in! We left today and headed into the lands of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. Tears were shed as Val took it all in.
IMG_0390.jpg

Huzzah! More adventures to come...

Last edited:

abzoo

Original Poster
Great trip report! I loved the detail on MNSSHP, am planning to go this year and cannot wait.
Following along :)

Thank you! You'll have a blast at MNSSHP!! All of the little things from the lighting around Magic Kingdom to the special Halloween soundtrack make it so much fun. And dressing up was awesome too :)!!

Just caught up to your trip report! It's awesome! I love your costumes but I think your Megara was the best! The painted toms are awesome I bought some frozen themed ones from a local artist and I wore them when I met Anna and Elsa. They also loved the shoes. Following along!

Thanks!! I absolutely loved being Meg for the night. I wish there would have been some Hercules characters out for me to meet that night though!

I need to paint a pair of toms for myself. I'll be looking for a picture of your Frozen ones in your TR! It's great to see the characters react to things like that!

abzoo

Original Poster
Alright, more Italy pics!
IMG_2223.JPG
10675568_10203526672029942_7080258070135157124_n.jpg

IMG_2226.JPG
IMG_2228.JPG
Gotta get every last drop!

Next up: Japan
IMG_2231.JPG
IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2242.JPG
We got sucked into the store in Japan and spent much more time there than we should have (which always happens there).

IMG_2246.JPG
Val got the Sparkling Peach Sake Gell from the Japan kiosk and it ended up being quite the entertaining beverage. She shook the can at least 20 times before opening it but then tried to pour it into the cup they gave her. 20 TIMES IS NOT ENOUGH. haha. It was super gloopy when she tried to pour it-- it looked kind of gross. It tasted good though, once you get past the consistency!
IMG_2248.JPG

abzoo

Original Poster
So we had made it through a little more than half of the World Showcase and decided to take a break. We had fastpasses for The Seas so we headed that way. Obviously those FP+s were unnecessary though.

IMG_2252.JPG
EPCOT_ECROVE5_7077717604.jpeg

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

I hadn't been in The Seas for years, so it was good that we got to ride the Nemo ride and say hello to the fishies. Plus manatees are awesome.

IMG_6042.jpg

IMG_2274.JPG

Cute rays snuggling. ha.​

There were a few interesting things happening in The Seas while we were there-- this diver came out for a quick presentation.
IMG_2291.JPG

And then there was also a dolphin presentation, something relatively new at that point I think. They were trying to track the sound the dolphin would make to recognize this Maleficent doll. Then they would play back the sound to see if the dolphin would associate the same rhythm with the doll.

IMG_6046.JPG
IMG_2304.JPG
IMG_2313.JPG

The whole thing was a little long so we left Val to stay (@ValVal loves dolphins) and the rest of us headed down to see Turtle Talk.

Last edited:

abzoo

Original Poster
IMG_6049.JPG

Val wasn't too interested in Turtle Talk since she can see it at DCA but it ended up being quite entertaining for us. I'm sure that some variation of this has happened many times before but when Crush asked the audience for questions, one little kid said "Um. I like turtles." and then the question of the next child was "Umm... I LOVE turtles." and Crush was laughing. We would repeat this quote many times for the rest of our trip. Crush then asked if anyone else had any other questions "OR statements, since apparently we're taking those too." Cute.

IMG_2298.JPG

Had to fight back the children to get this pic... I really like it though. Abby's are friends, not food!

Then we left The Seas and headed to The Land
IMG_2316.JPG

To ride Living with the Land! Love this ride.
IMG_2320.JPG

Really cute photos, I know :cool:. Val is showing appropriate enthusiasm pointing out some plant. Cassie and Megan don't feel the same.
IMG_2324.JPG
IMG_2325.JPG
IMG_6052.JPG
IMG_2327.JPG

The only gators Val got to see in Florida. They all look happy!
IMG_2328.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG

So much excitement for Living with the Land.

Up next: More F&W fest

Last edited:

abzoo

Original Poster
We stopped for a photoshoot outside of The Land with a great PhotoPass CM and chatted with him for a while (I think he was from New Hampshire like Cassie).
EPCOT_FWROVER_7077842268.jpeg
EPCOT_FWROVER_7077842273.jpeg
a little bit sassy...

EPCOT_FWROVER_7077842275.jpeg

We're slightly surprised by the appearance of Tinker Bell.

Okay. Now back to the World Showcase. First we stopped at Scotland. Megan had the Seared Sea Scallop with Spinach-Cheddar Gratin and Crispy Bacon and Kelsey got the Fresh Potato Pancake with Smoked Scottish Salmon and Herb Sour Cream.
IMG_2340.JPG
IMG_2341.JPG

Then we went to get some food from Puerto Rico. Which was a pretty marketplace for sure.
IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_6054.jpg
IMG_2345.JPG

Val and I both got the Carne Guisada con Arroz Blanco and Kelsey got the Ensalada de Carrucho (Caribbean Conch Salad with Onion, Tomato, and Cilantro). All good. I ended up spilling part of my arroz when I was almost done with it and I had a moment of sadness. But we carried on!

Then we went to Greece. Spanakopita and Chicken Gyros were enjoyed.
IMG_2349.JPG

Val and I then grabbed a cronut and split it. We didn't take any photos of it though. Sorry. But yum.

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Wow! Great trip report! I know you girls all have at least an undergrad since you went to college together but that report is a thesis - it deserves a Master's!

Love the costumes!!! So cute!

abzoo

Original Poster
Wow! Great trip report! I know you girls all have at least an undergrad since you went to college together but that report is a thesis - it deserves a Master's!

Love the costumes!!! So cute!

Hahah thanks!! I would gladly get my Master's in Trip Reporting. It's taking me a long time to finish this thesis!

ValVal

I worked half a day on Thursday and Friday was St. Augustine day. Val finally got to see the Atlantic Ocean for the first time. We had some beautiful weather! If you haven’t been to St. Augustine before, I definitely recommend it. There’s a lot of construction now, as the city is preparing for its 450th anniversary next year, but it’s a lovely place.​

random comment- I've actually seen the Atlantic Ocean before (in Boston back in 09) but this was the first i EVER set FOOT IN the Atlantic Ocean, which is pretty cool. :p

mrdrift

Great photo shoot, the variety of the pictures done were cute. Keep the food pictures coming, I just love to see all the selections available around the World Showcase. I would have to agree the beach is indeed lovely and not very crowded which makes it even better. Following along.

abzoo

Original Poster
We continued on through previously-unexplored countries of the World Showcase stopping first at Canada. This marketplace was a must, since Kelsey missed out on our Le Cellier dinner earlier in the week due to sickness. She got the Le Cellier Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce and she and Cassie both got the Neige Premiere Apple Ice Wine. The filet was pretty good, although you obviously can't choose how you want it cooked as you can in the restaurant. And there's no risotto. Still delicious though!

IMG_2350.JPG

yum!​

Next up was Ireland where Megan got the Kerrygold Cheese collection and Kelsey got the Warm Chocolate Pudding with Kerrygold Irish Cream Liqueur Custard.
IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2353.JPG

Next was France.
EPCOT_WRLDSHW4_7077920948.jpeg

IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2358.JPG

@ValVal had her eye on the Crème Brûlée Caramel fleur de sel (Sea Salt Caramel). The line was pretty long at this Marketplace but it didn't move too slow. Cassie, Megan, and I left for a photo opp.

EPCOT_WRLDSHW3_7077924806.jpeg
IMG_2360.JPG
Kelsey got the Tartlette aux Escargots (escargot tart with garlic, spinach, bacon, and parmesan). She shared a few tastes with us and there was barely any actual escargot. A little underwhelming. Here's Val tasting that.
IMG_2366.JPG

IMG_2362.JPG

We found a great place to sit and enjoy our food!​

abzoo

Original Poster
More France!
IMG_2364.JPG
Val shared her creme brulee with us and it was definitely yummy. Not quite as good as the maple creme brulee we tried at Le Cellier though.

IMG_2365.JPG

Backtracking for a minute...
IMG_2357.JPG

Oops! I forgot that I had pictures of us in the UK pavilion! For some reason, I thought these were from later in the night. We went through all the UK shops and Val bought some Twinings tea. Kelsey and I wandered around a bit and saw that there was no line for Pooh and Tigger... so we went right in to Christopher Robin's bedroom.
EPCOT_WSUK_7077910004.jpeg
EPCOT_WSUK_7077910006.jpeg

We went back to find the rest of the group and I told Val, Cassie, and Megan follow me without telling them where I was talking them. So they got photos with Pooh and Tigger too.

The characters walked away from them and made them take a picture alone haha...

EPCOT_WSUK_7077916817.jpeg

peekaboo!!
EPCOT_WSUK_7077916818.jpeg
EPCOT_WSUK_7077916821.jpeg

Our next stop was Brazil, such a beautiful marketplace!!
IMG_2369.JPG
IMG_6056.JPG

Last edited:

abzoo

Original Poster
IMG_2370.JPG
Brazil! A delicious marketplace with awesome ambiance! Val got the Crispy Pork Belly with Black Beans, Tomato and Cilantro (one of my favorite items from all of F&W) and Kelsey got the Mocequa de Pescado (Tilapia).

IMG_2371.JPG
IMG_2372.JPG

We headed to Belgium where I got the Belgian Waffle with Warm Chocolate Ganache (not very exciting) and Val got the Potato and Leek Waffle with Beer Braised Beef-- which she promptly dropped on the ground. I turned around and explained to the CM who was handing people their orders what had happened and she grabbed a new one for Val. No crying over spilled waffles.
IMG_2373.JPG

Next, we decided to find a spot for IllumiNations while Kelsey and Val went to Morocco to get Kefta Pockets (Ground Seasoned Beef in a Pita Pocket) and sangría (Kelsey).

IMG_2375.JPG

While we waited, Kelsey also decided that she wanted to grab a Sparkling Peach Sake Gell that Val had earlier. She made sure to shake it much more than 20 times though! It came out of the can a little bit less gloopy but it's still such a bizarre consistency!

IMG_6058.JPG

Then Megan decided that she was going to grab one of the funnel cakes she had her eye on and Cassie ran to Mexico to grab one of the normal quick service margaritas since she wasn't overly pleased with the marg. she had earlier.
IMG_6060.jpg

Our spot for IllumiNations wasn't the greatest since we were behind one of the torches. But we also weren't surrounded by tons of people so it was good to have a little space. It was the first time I had seen IllumiNations in about 6 years...

IMG_6061.JPG
IMG_6065.JPG
IMG_6070.jpg

abzoo

Original Poster
IMG_6074.JPG

IMG_6075.JPG

After IllumiNations, we slowly headed out of the park. Well, Kelsey and I at least moved at a more leisurely pace. The rest of the girls were hoping to get to DtD before the shops closed-- Megan had to get birthday presents for her niece. Before leaving Epcot, we had to take the obligatory photos of Spaceship Earth and a few PhotoPass pics as well.
IMG_6079.jpg
DSC05824.jpg

EPCOT_ECENTR3_7077984829.jpg

IMG_2377.JPG
EPCOT_ECENTR1_7077987218.jpeg
Kelsey and I made it over to the bus line for AoA and found the rest of the group. They were starting to cut it close to get to Downtown Disney so I told Val she could take my car once we got back to the resort but I ended up being the driver while Val went back to the room.

Here are some Art of Animation pics she took-- more coming up in my next post!
IMG_2379.JPG
IMG_2380.JPG
IMG_2381.JPG

Of course it was a nightmare trying to access DtD with all the construction. I ended up letting Megan and Cassie out at an intersection so they could run to World of Disney and then I parked and met them. But we got out of there with everything we needed.

Last edited:

mrdrift

Great end of the day. All the food looked wonderful. Stress for parking at DTD, do I understand that:banghead:. Following along.

Last edited:

abzoo

Original Poster
Sorry I've gotten so bad about updating this TR! First thing I have for this post is more pics (taken by @ValVal) of Art of Animation and our beautiful suite.

IMG_2385.JPG

Mousekeeping didn't want to move the purse I left out and made our bed around it. Oops.

Here's the Murphy bed, table-form, where Kelsey slept all week
IMG_2382.JPG

And now it's a bed. Woo magic.
IMG_2384.JPG

The rest of these are from Friday morning when Val finally took the chance to explore the resort and take pics. What a beautiful view out our window!
IMG_2388.JPG
IMG_2392.JPG
IMG_2395.JPG

MUFAAAAASAAAA.
IMG_2394.JPG
IMG_2393.JPG
IMG_2398.JPG
IMG_2400.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom