Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Winter Slump Cure

Hey everyone
We just got back from a very last minute trip to Walt Disney World so I decided to write a trip report because I took enough photos :hilarious:

Who?
Just my Mom and I (Mary and Megan)
560137393.jpeg

When?
A very quick trip - January 23-26, 2020

Why?
A few weeks ago my Mom and I were staring out the window at a restaurant and it was so grey and depressing. All I could think about was sunshine so I convinced my Mom to go down to Florida for a weekend to get some sun :) Our winter so far has not been bad in terms of snow (yet...hopefully not at all) but the lack of sun every single day can get old (the winter slump).

Where?
Not many options when booking very last minute, but we ended up at the Yacht Club again which was great!
z5wrRTCIQu2zL8d0xvT+4Q.jpg

January 23, 2020
My Mom and I both had to work so we had an 8 pm flight. I was very lucky that I got out a little early because there was a major accident on the way home and it took me almost an hour with some weird back roads to get home. Thankfully the airport from where we live is the other direction on the thruway (but not thankfully for my Dad who had to drive back home in it after dropping us off). Anyway - we got to the airport around 6 pm and checked our luggage. There was a guy next to us who was about to pay $75 because his luggage was too heavy. The Southwest employees offered him a duffel bag for $25 which he could check for free. I thought that was nice!
Anyway - thanks to TSA precheck we made it through security in about a minute. The airport was literally dead. They actually had to start running the belt again because they shut it down :hilarious:
We stopped for some dinner at the Anchor Bar
We shared the appetizer sampler - wings, boneless wings, mozzarellas sticks, and fries :)
Zey4Oun3TSqDQ9G0BQBRDw.jpg

kqQ5EgqcQ3avZ31ZqMDybQ.jpg

Then we headed to the gate
DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

We actually boarded our plane on time which never happens when we have an evening flight.
We were seated in row 2!
gXNIBO9uRtOU1QjwcTOANA.jpg

New Grumpy Magic Bands
IMG_1550.JPG

Next up: more travel day

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
Our flight was very fast - we landed about 35 minutes ahead of time! The pilot joked that he had a date :)
Fonorail!
IMG_1554D.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

We headed down to pick up our luggage
IMG_1557.JPG

We waited for forever for our luggage. Like at least 30 minutes which is so unusual for Orlando I feel. I was never more tempted in my life to skip the DME and take an Uber but my Mom and I always get nervous taking them alone for some reason.
So...we dragged our suitcase over to DME. The elevator line was super backed up so we took our suitcases down the escalator but then the 2nd escalator was broken so we needed to wait for the elevator anyway :hilarious:
I was too tired to think cleary about just walking down the hall to get a different elevator :banghead:
DME time!
IMG_1560.JPG

Of course we waited on the bus for awhile and the ride took forever. The stops were Art of Animation, Pop, Boardwalk (which the driver forgot he had to go to until he asked this girl if she needed to go there :cautious: ) and then Yacht Club.
Empty DME as we were the only 2 going to Yacht Club
IMG_1565.JPG

We were so tired
IMG_1566.JPG

We ended up getting to The Yacht Club after midnight. We did stop to change credit cards since there was no one else at the desk.
Then we headed to our room - our view was amazing !
IMG_1567.JPG

Anyway after this we passed out

Next up: Day 2

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Following. Love the disapproving look of the lady over Mary's left shoulder on the fonorail. She could pass for one of the wicked sisters...

I had noticed her look too! It was almost as if fun is not allowed 😉.

And you should have put a spoiler alert on the food picture ... I’ve not started dinner yet and that made me hungry!! :joyfull:

Rista1313

Well Megan, I beat you by 1 rank in the dreariest winter city in the US.

_2015_02_winter_1_depressing2.png

6. Grand Rapids, Michigan

Grand Rapids owes its high placement on this list to the proximity of Lake Michigan, which lies about 30 miles to the west. Lake-effect clouds keep the Furniture City gray during the winter, contributing to its measly 29% sunshine rate from November to February. That’s the second-lowest rate of any city in our study, tied with Portland, Oregon.

7. Buffalo, New York

The gloomiest winters on the East Coast are in Buffalo. Like Grand Rapids, Buffalo suffers from lake-effect cloud cover and lake-effect snow off of a Great Lake—in this case, Lake Erie. Occasionally winds off of Lake Erie can dump several feet of snow on Buffalo over the course of just days, as happened most recently in November 2014.

riverside

Premium Member
Well Megan, I beat you by 1 rank in the dreariest winter city in the US.

View attachment 445512

6. Grand Rapids, Michigan

Grand Rapids owes its high placement on this list to the proximity of Lake Michigan, which lies about 30 miles to the west. Lake-effect clouds keep the Furniture City gray during the winter, contributing to its measly 29% sunshine rate from November to February. That’s the second-lowest rate of any city in our study, tied with Portland, Oregon.

7. Buffalo, New York

The gloomiest winters on the East Coast are in Buffalo. Like Grand Rapids, Buffalo suffers from lake-effect cloud cover and lake-effect snow off of a Great Lake—in this case, Lake Erie. Occasionally winds off of Lake Erie can dump several feet of snow on Buffalo over the course of just days, as happened most recently in November 2014.
I can't believe that Pittsburgh is not in the top 10!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom