Trip Report *COMPLETED* The "What are we waiting on?, Never again!, Help, I'm on a family vacation!" Trip Report

Howdy folks!!

We just got back home yesterday afternoon from a great week in Disney! I'm still trying to get my pictures in order, but I figured I could get the intro started! There were some definite ups and downs (tears were shed for both) on this trip which you will hear about further on, but overall it was a magical trip and we had a great time! So if you care to join me, hop on in as I detail the trip in this report!

Dates: November 24th-December 2nd

Where: Disney's Pop Century Resort

Cast: Josh (DH), Cam (DS) and Heather (Me!)
Also joining us will be my Parents and my niece, Maci
AK_BRDGTOP_20181129_414762671701.jpg

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
Sorry about your bus incident. What an idiot! I can relate to Josh - when someone is that aggressive against you and especially your family your defender instincts go crazy.

Funny about Josh in IASW!

Looks like you had a nice "date night".

Although memorable, not a great moment! Josh was seeing red!
We did, it was a lovely night, thank you!

amjt660

Premium Member
Great Trip Report Heather!!
The mine train pic is to die for
I remember the only true check after a ride was "Do you want to go on again"
If that answer is not 100% yes then you should not push it
Proud that you gave him a shove to do something you knew he would like

Max

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
Great Trip Report Heather!!
The mine train pic is to die for
I remember the only true check after a ride was "Do you want to go on again"
If that answer is not 100% yes then you should not push it
Proud that you gave him a shove to do something you knew he would like

Max

Thanks Max! :happy:

DisSplash

Great trip report! I think it is awesome that you have this family trip with your parents to look back on, even with some of the frustrations that come along with it! Trust me - some of the things that drove you nuts will get funnier with time. Maybe not to the point where you want to do it all again the same way, 😜 but they will certainly make for good stories at Thanksgiving and other family gatherings. Plus you gave those memories to Cam, which may be special to him as he gets older.😊

But I love that you gave yourselves a day to enjoy the park with your own little family. I always say that when visiting family, you have to find a way to get back into your own Head space in order to stay sane, and it looks like you did just that - in a Disney way - by planning that last day! 👍

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
Enjoyed your trip report! Sorry to hear about the lackluster experience at 'Ohana. It definitely seems to be a hit or miss lately :(

I've been noticing that in other trip reports as well. Thanks for reading!

Great trip report! I think it is awesome that you have this family trip with your parents to look back on, even with some of the frustrations that come along with it! Trust me - some of the things that drove you nuts will get funnier with time. Maybe not to the point where you want to do it all again the same way, 😜 but they will certainly make for good stories at Thanksgiving and other family gatherings. Plus you gave those memories to Cam, which may be special to him as he gets older.😊

But I love that you gave yourselves a day to enjoy the park with your own little family. I always say that when visiting family, you have to find a way to get back into your own Head space in order to stay sane, and it looks like you did just that - in a Disney way - by planning that last day! 👍

Yes, for sure! We are already laughing about some things. I laughed that neither kid had a meltdown the whole week, but yet I found myself crying a couple times! :hilarious: Honestly, having that first day and last day to ourselves was our saving grace. Also, having our own hotel room. That would be my biggest piece of advice for anyone doing family trips. To just have some time to yourselves. It was especially helpful to have it on the last day before going home because I left in a more relaxed state of mind.

Enjoyed the TR. Nice work! I think you had a lot of good insight on the challenges of traveling with grandparents. (at first I typed adult parents. Geesh. It’s been a long day.)

Thanks! Hopefully someone picks up a tip or two from reading!
Thank you for reading!!

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
FYI...since my Dad's knee issue was a hot topic during the trip report...it turns out that he will likely be having a knee replacement surgery. :in pain:
They are trying out one more thing to see if that helps to possibly hold off on it. He's trying to make it to retirement first (2 1/2 years).

Laura Loves Tigger

I have enjoyed reading your report! About your dad's knee - I had both of my knees replaced 3 years ago at age 58. Best decision I have ever made. Walking was so difficult and very painful. Since the surgery, walking is a pleasure. I have been to Disney World 3 times since. He will feel immediate relief from the arthritis pain, and the surgical pain goes away pretty quickly. Good luck to him!

DisSplash

FYI...since my Dad's knee issue was a hot topic during the trip report...it turns out that he will likely be having a knee replacement surgery. :in pain:
They are trying out one more thing to see if that helps to possibly hold off on it. He's trying to make it to retirement first (2 1/2 years).

Oh your poor dad! But they have come so far with these procedures!! I think once he gets it done, he will be so happy that he did.

Amos1784

Thanks Max! :happy:

Just out of curiosity you said Pop was not for you but you have stayed All Stars and preferred them. I'm just curious as to why. We stay DVC but when not staying DVC we lean towards Pop. I have always had the mentality of never staying at the All Stars but wanted to hear your viewpoint on why you prefer them, maybe sway me to give them a try.

Thanks!

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
Just out of curiosity you said Pop was not for you but you have stayed All Stars and preferred them. I'm just curious as to why. We stay DVC but when not staying DVC we lean towards Pop. I have always had the mentality of never staying at the All Stars but wanted to hear your viewpoint on why you prefer them, maybe sway me to give them a try.

Thanks!

For me, Pop just seemed way more crowded. Now this could have been because of the time of year. However, I honestly think the main reason we weren't blown away was hugely because our last stay was at Animal Kingdom Lodge. When I've stayed at the All Stars, I had nothing else to compare them too because at the time, I hadn't stayed anywhere else. If I were a frequent visitor, 100% would stay at Pop again, but being that we don't make the trip but once every year or every other year, I'd rather splurge on better accommodations as we do enjoy spending time at our resort (pools, restaurants, etc.) as well as the parks. Does that make sense?

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
I have enjoyed reading your report! About your dad's knee - I had both of my knees replaced 3 years ago at age 58. Best decision I have ever made. Walking was so difficult and very painful. Since the surgery, walking is a pleasure. I have been to Disney World 3 times since. He will feel immediate relief from the arthritis pain, and the surgical pain goes away pretty quickly. Good luck to him!

Thanks for reading!
That's great to hear. I think it will be a good thing for him. You can only mask the pain for so long before you have to do something.

ScarletBegonias

Loved reading your trip! SO funny, Harper (who was 4 on our trip) did the same thing with 7DMT! Watched videos for months and then when standing in line was terrified, I was so upset! But I told her if she was brave, we'd get a toy when she was done. She did ride and her face in the pic.. omg. So funny. But she did it! I was so proud!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom