Trip Report **COMPLETED** The trip that almost didn't happen (thanks to Baltimore)

Hey everyone!
We got back about a week ago now from a short trip. I debated about even writing a TR but I have a bunch of photos so why not?

Who?
The usual...my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)
IMG_9478.JPG

Where?
The Boardwalk :)
I stole this photo off the internet - for some reason I did not take any daylight photos of the Boardwalk
P23682_EXT_ZEF253.JPG

When?
November 15-18, 2018

Why?
No reason other than we wanted to attend a Christmas Party and I was able to shuffle a few hours around so I could miss a Friday of work (since I only work 4 hours on Fridays anyway)

Day 1 November 15, 2018
I had to work my usual Thursday and thankfully got out on time so I could get to my parent's house and get ready to head to the airport.
IMG_7357.jpeg

IMG_7358.jpeg

I was a little stressed out because there was a storm approaching Buffalo and it was supposed to hit right at the time our flight took off. Before we left for the airport it was already delayed 15 minutes but that did not seem too bad so we headed to the airport and of course got there in no time. The Southwest counter was actually quite crowded but we still breezed through security.
We stopped to get something to eat at the Anchor Bar
isBrFZskTJGG2lidp8MkgA.jpg

We split our usual appetizer platter of wings, boneless wings, and regular wings with a side of fries (because apparently the rest of it was not fatty enough...)
DCAf9e3wQmKYFkg5AM0EwQ.jpg

Ga4LPCDCTyCJfMrjtXqmMw.jpg

Our food was fine but I was starting to get so stressed out because nearly everyone around us had their flights canceled or super delayed. It was a bit odd because it wasn't super bad in Buffalo but it must have been bad everywhere else.
We went and sat at our gate and our flight was delayed by 30 minutes at this point so we decided to get a sugary snack to kill some time.
We actually thought this snack was turtle chocolates and it was popcorn :joyfull:
QHRhqsm+RTyaowutK9g4pQ.jpg

Next up: more airport drama

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
Well we sat at our gate for awhile. About every 30 minutes our flight would get delayed again by about 30 minutes or so. There was no announcement for the longest time as to why. The only announcements in general were canceled flights. There was like one plane that left that entire time we sat there. We entertained ourselves with some Netflix - thankfully they turned off the time limits on the free wifi. Eventually a Southwest employee made the announcement to let us know that our plane was coming from Baltimore which is why it is so delayed - all flights were grounded there. That really freaked me out because every flight going to Baltimore had been canceled. He literally said that Baltimore could not handle the snow like we can which is why it's an issue.
In my mind I was just planning on not going to Florida and having to go to work the next day. There were no flights the next day that were available so either we went this day or not at all.
I literally stalked the Baltimore airport website and finally noticed that the plane that was coming to us was boarding! Hooray!!
With a renewed attitude (honestly I do not know how my Mom deals with me when we travel - when I get anxious I get very irritable) we walked around a bit and decided to get a drink to celebrate.
We both got some wine
msMKDzRqRCWkMbCWXmmUaA.jpg

The bar was hopping full of people waiting to get on a Chicago flight that was very delayed but was indeed leaving soon. They had been there for quite a bit of time so it was very entertaining!
Anyway, the Baltimore flight was still saying delayed/they haven't left yet even though they boarded so I got stressed out all over again. If I were coherent/logical I would know this is because they were de-icing :joyfull:
Ru8cijblQmiZDoxk+SJtkA.jpg
w3
IMG_9818.JPG

We had plans to go to Disney Springs when we got to Florida but as the hours ticked on that plan got further and further away :hilarious:
Finally the Baltimore plane left so we headed to the gate since we knew that was a short flight. They actually put up the little sign that said Orlando so we knew we were definitely getting out! Woohoo!
Finally our plane came and we headed on!
U9AFq5cJR22Fh6+qwZw2iQ.jpg

The flight was so empty!! We ended up in row three and barely got ourselves together when they announced that boarding was completed :eek: I would assume this is because anyone who had to transfer in MCO did not get on this plane since it was too delayed.
DSC_0206.JPG

Like I said I don't know how my Mom deals with me because at this point I started stressing out about what time we land and if we should get our luggage or not. We put our DME tags on but if we landed after 10 we would have to get our luggage. But what if we landed 10 minutes before 10 ?!?!?! Thankfully (in a not thankful way) we were stuck on the tarmac for almost an hour because we could not de-ice until the plane next to use got fueled :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: The fuel tank was in the way of the de-icing truck. Like honestly - logistics wise that was dumb.
Anyway our flight was turbulent (obviously) but we finally made it! I still had not gotten a room ready text or email so I checked the app and thankfully our room number was there.
We went to pick up our luggage which came quickly which was nice.
IMG_9823.JPG

Then we made our way to DME
IMG_9825.JPG

moSpnUZ0S+G+KovpJ8baTg.jpg

We got right on our bus!
It looked like it was new
IMG_9829.JPG

IMG_9830.JPG

Of course this was the day of slow mo so we were on the bus for over 30 minutes where no more than 3 other people got on while we waited. One thing did go our way and that was we were the first stop! Hooray!
We got to the Boardwalk just before midnight and dragged our suitcases to our room (which was honestly as far away as you could possibly be from the lobby which was fine but at this point hilarious since nothing seemed to go our way) and essentially passed out. All in all we were about 4 hours delayed but we made it! Oh also, our Magic Bands did not open the door - thank goodness for that app that can do it now!

Next up: a lot less drama

geebee721

Following along! I live in Massachusetts and we usually go to Disney in the winter months...so the thought of snow always stresses me before we fly out! We leave in two weeks and I’ve been watching the forecast like crazy lol.

Spash007

Being in Northern Virginia (and originally from NY) I can tell you first hand that this area does not handle snow well. That storm on the 15th was done ok (especially compared to the NYC/NJ area), but I could see how it messed up airports pretty badly. Glad you got there!

youngdeb

Following along! I don't worry about winter weather delaying us out of our home airport, it's a regular occurrence for us. It's the fact that we have to connect through Vancouver to get anywhere and they do NOT handle winter well at all.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Following along! I live in Massachusetts and we usually go to Disney in the winter months...so the thought of snow always stresses me before we fly out! We leave in two weeks and I’ve been watching the forecast like crazy lol.

I am usually so stressed out about it too - that whole day I was a wreck but because of the weather here in Buffalo - never did I think to worry about elsewhere!

:) Thanks for following

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Being in Northern Virginia (and originally from NY) I can tell you first hand that this area does not handle snow well. That storm on the 15th was done ok (especially compared to the NYC/NJ area), but I could see how it messed up airports pretty badly. Glad you got there!

Its so funny to me how a little snow can cause so much chaos! I mean I know why since they aren't used to it but its just cold rain :joyfull::joyfull:

Following along! I don't worry about winter weather delaying us out of our home airport, it's a regular occurrence for us. It's the fact that we have to connect through Vancouver to get anywhere and they do NOT handle winter well at all.

Ah thats so stressful! We get delayed mostly for de-icing but usually not much more than that!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 November 16, 2018
Good news - got our room ready text at 3:06 am - I was aware our room was ready :joyfull:
fullsizeoutput_2402.jpeg

Anyway, in the morning we got up, ready, and headed to the Boardwalk Bakery for some breakfast (treats)
I got a blueberry muffin - it was OK
IMG_9838.JPG

My Mom had a chocolate cupcake she said it was good
EmAg+obLSXql0Vt5kQy00g.jpg

We noticed the Boardwalk outside tree for the first time :)
BJ+OM%JUTSyNvToLaz311A.jpg

We just missed the boat to Hollywood Studios so we decided to walk. I got lost for a minute and we happened upon a Boardwalk 5k which was cute. Eventually we found the sign that pointed towards Hollywood Studios
IMG_9840.JPG

The construction was no joke. I read it may make the walk longer but that was an understatement
IMG_9841.JPG

It's also very ugly :joyfull:
IMG_9842.JPG

Finally we made it to the bus stops which I know is also far away.
IMG_9843.JPG

Hello skyliner!
IMG_9844.JPG

I was nervous we were going to miss rope drop (shocker I was nervous about something) but we made it just in time
DSC_0221.JPG

Next up: more HS

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
I said it last year and I will say it again - I am obsessed with the Hollywood Studios Christmas decor
DSC_0222.JPG

Of course we rope dropped Slinky Dog Dash!

IMG_9847.JPG

DSC_0225.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0228.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

DSC_0232.JPG

Look at the price tag :hilarious::hilarious:
IMG_9848.JPG

We made it on in just 20 minutes!
IMG_9851.JPG

DSC_0234.JPG

Our ride photo is of other people but let's be honest those photos are never that great anyway :joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
Look at these cute decorations!
IMG_9852.JPG

IMG_9853.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_414488615829.JPG

DSC_0242.JPG

We headed to Alien Swirling Saucers next since it was also a short wait. We had a FP for it in the afternoon but wanted to get out so we could make up for our missed time at Disney Springs!
IMG_9854.JPG

DSC_0239.JPG

DSC_0241.JPG

IMG_9858.JPG

IMG_9860.JPG

IMG_9861.JPG

This ride made me laugh so hard. I don't think I stopped laughing the entire ride :joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
After our ride we walked around Toy Story Land for quite a bit. I feel like we can never leave it :)
I forgot to say that Alien Swirling Saucers had a bit of a Christmas overlay as they interchanged some music which was cute!
DSC_0244.JPG

DSC_0245.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

DSC_0252.JPG

The creativity behind even the Christmas decor was so awesome - they made everything look homemade !
DSC_0253.JPG

The Toy Soldiers were dressed up for the holidays :)
IMG_9880.JPG

IMG_9881.JPG

IMG_9882.JPG

We decided to meet Buzz since he was also "dressed up" :joyfull:
IMG_9961.JPG

Next up: probably a million pictures of Slinky Dog

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom