Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Story of Two Nuts Who Decided to Go to Disney for NYE

Who?
The two nuts - my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan)
IMG_9860.JPG

Where?
The Contemporary - strategically picked to help us survive the New Years crowds :)

When?
December 28, 2018 - January 2, 2019

Why?
For New Years! We had been to Disney once before for New Years which is the reason for the title :) On our first time there for New Years we had no clue it would be crowded but this time we willingly went for New Years well knowing the crowds would be awful! We are NUTS!

What to expect?
Slow moving days, a lot of pictures of crowds, a LOT of phone pictures (I did not film this trip so I got lazy and most days did not even carry my good camera :facepalm: - helped me manage the crowds), and a pretty big purchase :)

Day 1 - December 28, 2018
I had to work but was able to start my day a bit earlier so that I could make it to my flight on time :) My parents drove me to work and picked me up so we could head right to the airport. I was stressed (especially after last trip) that the weather would be bad but it was actually 45 degrees at home - unseasonably warm! We had to take our usual date signs at the airport :)
DSC_0576.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

As usual we made it though check in and security very quickly and we headed to get some food at Anchor Bar.
Z1drKy7oTAmTIOGRJ1n4tA.jpg
+wchtI31SpiJD68q2JeBug.jpg

We shared a quesadilla and boneless wings. Both things were delicious!
2UXCGkPwSQK1bFaYF3m6jw.jpg

kLQ%hAFvQwi0SBw9Qmoz4g.jpg

After eating we headed to our gate :)
IMG_0761.JPG

Kf1R+oDKQYa7wBO53Jcn6Q.jpg

cIDcO36mRJSTNqPSW6hLzg.jpg

Next up: more travel randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
After our lovely dinner we headed back to the Contemporary. We played some corn hole and since it was early figured we should pop into the Magic Kingdom so walked over there :)
I made a FP for Winnie the Pooh
IMG_1318.JPG

We were held up getting off the ride because of this...
IMG_1320.JPG

Some sort of bodily fluid that needed to be cleaned :grumpy::hungover:
I also made us a FP for the TeaCups so we headed there next
IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

After our ride we slowly headed out and said goodbye to the Magic Kingdom (for now)
Back in our room we finished packing and watched some TV before watching HEA from our balcony :)
IMG_1330.JPG

Day 6 January 2, 2019
We got up, finished packing, checked our luggage and said goodbye to our amazing view!
IMG_1332.JPG

We had a quick healthy breakfast (;):hilarious:) at Contempo Cafe: chocolate croissant for my Mom and chocolate chip muffin for me.
IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

Then it was sadly time for the DME.
IMG_1337.JPG

It was a another great trip...crowds and all. Funny the further away you are from a trip the less crazy the crowds seem .... crazy enough for me to want to go back for NYE again someday and see the Epcot fireworks :p

Next up: Princess 10 K here we come

Megbutnotmegan

I wonder if the person who “messed” in the honey pot is the same adult who pooped his pants on the bus with my poor husband that week 🤢My husband said the bus driver had to come back and clean the seat before they could leave the Grand Floridian. Person just got off and left their mess behind. 🙄

Thanks for writing another great trip report. It was fun to see NYE from another perspective!

MickeyCB

I enjoyed your trip report a great deal! You and your mom look like you have a blast together!
This has actually got me to thinking about a 2019/20 New Years Eve trip. But, I was wondering about your opinion on an arrival Dec 31, (my husband's birthday is New Years Day)!, and staying for next 3-4 days with the hope of the crowds decreasing. Do you or does anyone here have any experience with a trip with similar dates? Thanks

BrerWayne

Day 5 continued
After our lovely dinner we headed back to the Contemporary. We played some corn hole and since it was early figured we should pop into the Magic Kingdom so walked over there :)
I made a FP for Winnie the Pooh
View attachment 344170
We were held up getting off the ride because of this...
View attachment 344171
Some sort of bodily fluid that needed to be cleaned :grumpy::hungover:
I also made us a FP for the TeaCups so we headed there next
View attachment 344172
View attachment 344173
View attachment 344174
After our ride we slowly headed out and said goodbye to the Magic Kingdom (for now)
Back in our room we finished packing and watched some TV before watching HEA from our balcony :)
View attachment 344175

Day 6 January 2, 2019
We got up, finished packing, checked our luggage and said goodbye to our amazing view!
View attachment 344177
We had a quick healthy breakfast (;):hilarious:) at Contempo Cafe: chocolate croissant for my Mom and chocolate chip muffin for me.
View attachment 344178
View attachment 344179
Then it was sadly time for the DME.
View attachment 344180
It was a another great trip...crowds and all. Funny the further away you are from a trip the less crazy the crowds seem .... crazy enough for me to want to go back for NYE again someday and see the Epcot fireworks :p

Next up: Princess 10 K here we come
So can we expect a trip report for the 10K??? That would combine two of my loves-Running and Disney.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I wonder if the person who “messed” in the honey pot is the same adult who pooped his pants on the bus with my poor husband that week 🤢My husband said the bus driver had to come back and clean the seat before they could leave the Grand Floridian. Person just got off and left their mess behind. 🙄

Thanks for writing another great trip report. It was fun to see NYE from another perspective!

Ew.....really??? How does this happen as an adult? I mean if you are sick you are sick but at least clean up after yourself

I enjoyed your trip report a great deal! You and your mom look like you have a blast together!
This has actually got me to thinking about a 2019/20 New Years Eve trip. But, I was wondering about your opinion on an arrival Dec 31, (my husband's birthday is New Years Day)!, and staying for next 3-4 days with the hope of the crowds decreasing. Do you or does anyone here have any experience with a trip with similar dates? Thanks

Thank you! I have once before come on NYE Day and stayed after. Crowds dropped pretty quickly (although this was several years ago) and was nice. With better planning New Years Eve that trip would have been fine but we had no idea what we were walking into :joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
So can we expect a trip report for the 10K??? That would combine two of my loves-Running and Disney.

Definitely! Heres to hoping we finish the race :joyfull: I'm unreasonably nervous even though we have already done our 6 because the weather has been so bad here its really impeding our training

And you definitely need to go to DLP - I find that there are more items with Grumpy on them there (or maybe they are just easier to see because there are fewer stores?)

Really?! Maybe someday...

PrincessFigment

Definitely! Heres to hoping we finish the race :joyfull: I'm unreasonably nervous even though we have already done our 6 because the weather has been so bad here its really impeding our training

@Doc Disney - My sister and I will be at the back with you on the 10k!! We aren't the fastest, but we are looking forward to it though. I get nervous every year! :)

ksr99

Day 2 continued
**warning super wordy post **

So we headed to meet up with our good friend Kyle and he took us backstage to get to our van. He confirmed our suspicion about the blue building being Aerosmith and showed us the tunnel where you take off! Kyle told us that just a few days before he saw Luke Bryan backstage :joyfull: There were a lot of people back there but no one famous that I could see - just those VIP tour people eating snacks :hilarious:
Our van driver's name was George and he was negative Nelly about everything. He was non stop complaining about everything that used to be at the parks but isn't anymore :facepalm:
We got dropped off by Mr. Pleasant at the DVC part of Polynesian and we were greeted by someone else who brought us to a room (aka a hotel room made into an office) to meet with a DVC representative. It was a little awkward at first but Marcel (the DVC guy) was really nice. They essentially ask you a bunch of questions to see if you would even benefit from DVC. It was super low pressure and very informative.
View attachment 340562
View attachment 340563
View attachment 340564
I texted @sheriffwoody before I even went on the tour to say I was scared I would buy it and she told me to stay strong :joyfull:
Anyway, after the whole presentation Marcel showed us a Poly studio to get an idea, showed us the price for points and left so we could discuss it. I went into the presentation already knowing I wanted DVC so this kind of confirmed it for me. I was suprised when my Mom said she thought it was a good idea too and she thought things would work out for me this day. I called my sister Betta - who is the most financially savvy (besides my Dad) and doesn't spend money on everything like I do - and she said I should do it and said she feels like she should look into it now too.
So that was it....they were offering full contracts only for Copper Creek and Aluani so I chose Copper Creek (obviously ... not even manageable to go to Hawaii more than once in my life :joyfull:). Before we even got in there and knew the choices we talked about how we would like Bay Lake Tower or Wilderness Lodge so that was perfect! They could offer me a BLT contract but it would have been a shorter one and they couldn't give me the end of year discount that they were offering for Copper Creek. Not like we can't stay at BLT or add points there :)
Anyway like I said they were super non pushy and even when I agreed they were super supportive about it - giving all sorts of payment options and suggesting the amount of points I should start with.
I signed a bunch of paperwork and soon enough we were on our way! It was nuts. I felt bad because we were inside on a beautiful day for almost 3 hours but my Mom promised me she did not mind - especially since it will benefit her too :hilarious:
My Mom took this picture and pretended it was Mickey saying he took all my money :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
View attachment 340565
:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
View attachment 340566
My Mom is making a zero sign since she did not buy anything :joyfull:
View attachment 340567
View attachment 340568
View attachment 340569
I still can not believe I did it! I dont think it has hit me yet :inlove:
Our van eventually showed up to take us back to the Contemporary
This van driver was no more pleasant than George - weird .
View attachment 340570

Next up: more randomness
Congrats!

amjt660

Premium Member
Another great trip report from BCDD!!

Thanks to both the M&M girls!!
I will let you decide what colour you want to be....
FB7DD469-A622-454C-9E76-9BB61D5DC1CE.jpeg
DE125978-DAE3-4720-9870-CE56829D570C.jpeg
57C6E531-2A7D-44B9-B385-38D586B224AC.jpeg

Love the pic on teacups with a light fixture almost directly over top of you

Looking forward to more adventures and reports in remainder of 2019

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom