Trip Report *COMPLETED* The Spookiest, Scariest, Merriest Hallowmas Ever!

Hi everyone!

Welcome to my trip report! I’m about a week and a half back from a full week of late nights, early mornings, long nap times, milk breaks, and child swaps. This trip was over a year in the making and supposed to be my son’s first visit to Walt Disney World. Plans changed and we were able to sneak in a quick weekend trip back in April, but it was such a whirlwind that I was looking forward to taking it slow and enjoying things with my kiddo.

So on to the cast:

Me; my husband, Jordan; my son, Lincoln; my mom; my dad; and eventually my sister with her family.

Day One: October 29

Today was our departure day. But first the saddest part of any vacation: dropping off our firstborn. I actually did this the day before because our vet’s office was closed on the day that we left.

IMG_5469 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Leaving the dog behind is the worst part of vacation for me, even worse than leaving the vacation itself. See ya, Heisenberg! Maybe someday we will go stay at the Yacht Club together.

We left our home around 1:00 PM. Of all things it had been sleeting off and on that morning in north Georgia. Our drive was fortunately uneventful and restful, apparently.

IMG_5481 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Don’t worry, he would totally do this to me if given the chance.

Around 11 PM we finally made it to the most beautiful sign in the world!

IMG_5482 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

For our first two nights of check in we were staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. This was mine and Jordan’s first time staying here. I checked us in quickly while Jordan unloaded the car.

IMG_5484 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We had a pool view room that was in a perfect location. We were down the hall from the gift shop right beside the elevators (which we didn’t need). It was very quiet where we were too. We shared only one wall with another room. The other wall was beside a large window overlooking the pool.

Speaking of pool, here was our view:

IMG_5485 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

And our room

IMG_5486 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

IMG_5487 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We finally got to sleep around 1 AM. It had been a long day, and as we were trying to get to sleep we were dealing with a giggling toddler who had gotten a little wound up in the time we were waiting for our luggage.

I only had one complaint about our room, which was only because we were traveling with an infant. See in the picture above how there is a gap between the television stand and the mini fridge? That was the perfect place to set up Lincoln’s pack ‘n’ play. Really it was probably the only place. The only problem was that there was no shielding that spot from light coming from the bathroom. The sink area is not closed off to the rest of the room by a door or curtain. I wanted to let Lincoln sleep as late as possible in the mornings, but with this set up it was hard to do that and get ready too. So I ended up putting him in bed with Jordan both mornings we were there. That was the only issue with the room, which is minor all things considered.

newhorizons1

Original Poster
Day Two October 30

We woke up and headed out to catch a bus for Epcot. Our plan for the day was to hit up the Food & Wine Festival. This was Jordan’s first time at the Food & Wine Festival, and I was so excited for him to be there. We started out at Guest Services to activate our tickets for our package that wasn’t starting until the next day. Fortunately there wasn’t a long line when we got there.

It was a chilly morning that led up to a perfect weather day. You know, the jeans and t-shirt type weather. My wild man was ready to go! He kept trying to take his beanie off, which resulted in his ears just getting pushed down. His look was cracking me up!

WDW2017-2 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

And finally we were in about 20 minutes after park opening. We decided to head immediately to Frozen Ever After. We didn’t have any fastpass+ plans for it, so this was really our only chance to ride without crazy long lines.

WDW2017-3 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

IMG_5490 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

IMG_5491 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-5 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-7 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-8 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-10 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-12 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

While I am disappointed that Maelstrom is gone, I don’t hate Frozen Ever After. I’m also glad that I don’t have girls between the ages of 5-10 who would insist on standing in a really long line for this ride either.

newhorizons1

Original Poster
After Frozen it was time to head to the Land. I went ahead to grab some breakfast for Lincoln since all he had had was cereal before we left the room. There was a kid’s plate with bacon, eggs, and cinnamon bun bread pudding with milk or a small bottle of water for under $7. Considering the portion, I thought it was a fair price. I picked up pastries for the rest of us and drooled over these.

WDW2017-13 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Mom volunteered to sit the first go through on Soarin’ out while Jordan and I went through the stand by line and picked up a child swap pass for me to use with her later.

They really upped the difficulty of these questions while you are waiting in line. ;)

WDW2017-14 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Back in April, Jordan and I road Soarin’ Around the World for the first time, and we just weren’t that impressed. First off the scent release wasn’t working, so no grass (yuck anyways) smell for us. Secondly, we were just disappointed in the use of CG. I get the use with the animals, but to CG an entire scene of a global landmark? Really? I’m sure there are dozens of other places that could have been filmed instead. However, this time we were in the front middle and smells (good ones) were abounding. We both agreed that while we enjoyed Soarin’ Over California more, this wasn’t as bad the second time around. Afterwards, mom and I went on. We were in the front but on the very far side. Talk about some serious distortion! It was so distracting. I could definitely understand some people getting a bit motion sick sitting on the ends.

Lines were getting long once we were finished with Soarin’. Living with the Land was up to 40 minutes! The Seas wasn’t much better. Jordan took Lincoln over to just look at the fish while mom and I were on Soarin’. So we just decided to go ahead and do what we planned on anyways and head towards World Showcase.

We picked up our passports and stopped in the Light Lab first. Jordan kept telling me that he wanted the huge donuts that are sold at Joffrey’s. I told him that there were glow in the dark donuts here. He gave me a hard time because it is just donuts under a black light. Whatevs, Jordan.

WDW2017-15 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-16 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We came out from the Light Lab empty handed but stopped at Coastal Eats and Earth Eats. I got the Baked Shrimp Scampi Dip and Seared Scallops (for Jordan), and mom and Jordan got the Grilled Beef Skewer.

WDW2017-17 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-18 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

All the dishes got major thumbs up from all of us. The scampi dip was a bit heavy, but it was good!

Up next was the Trio of Artisan Cheese from the Wine and Dine Studio. This is always one of my favorite things to get. I think it’s been done better in the past, but I still wasn’t complaining.

WDW2017-19 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-20 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We also saw this group out and about. I think they got lost on their way to Universal. Don’t worry, Jordan asked to get a photo of them (excuse his pinky too).

20171030_124350 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
After Frozen it was time to head to the Land. I went ahead to grab some breakfast for Lincoln since all he had had was cereal before we left the room. There was a kid’s plate with bacon, eggs, and cinnamon bun bread pudding with milk or a small bottle of water for under $7. Considering the portion, I thought it was a fair price. I picked up pastries for the rest of us and drooled over these.

WDW2017-13 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Mom volunteered to sit the first go through on Soarin’ out while Jordan and I went through the stand by line and picked up a child swap pass for me to use with her later.

They really upped the difficulty of these questions while you are waiting in line. ;)

WDW2017-14 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Back in April, Jordan and I road Soarin’ Around the World for the first time, and we just weren’t that impressed. First off the scent release wasn’t working, so no grass (yuck anyways) smell for us. Secondly, we were just disappointed in the use of CG. I get the use with the animals, but to CG an entire scene of a global landmark? Really? I’m sure there are dozens of other places that could have been filmed instead. However, this time we were in the front middle and smells (good ones) were abounding. We both agreed that while we enjoyed Soarin’ Over California more, this wasn’t as bad the second time around. Afterwards, mom and I went on. We were in the front but on the very far side. Talk about some serious distortion! It was so distracting. I could definitely understand some people getting a bit motion sick sitting on the ends.

Lines were getting long once we were finished with Soarin’. Living with the Land was up to 40 minutes! The Seas wasn’t much better. Jordan took Lincoln over to just look at the fish while mom and I were on Soarin’. So we just decided to go ahead and do what we planned on anyways and head towards World Showcase.

We picked up our passports and stopped in the Light Lab first. Jordan kept telling me that he wanted the huge donuts that are sold at Joffrey’s. I told him that there were glow in the dark donuts here. He gave me a hard time because it is just donuts under a black light. Whatevs, Jordan.

WDW2017-15 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-16 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We came out from the Light Lab empty handed but stopped at Coastal Eats and Earth Eats. I got the Baked Shrimp Scampi Dip and Seared Scallops (for Jordan), and mom and Jordan got the Grilled Beef Skewer.

WDW2017-17 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-18 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

All the dishes got major thumbs up from all of us. The scampi dip was a bit heavy, but it was good!

Up next was the Trio of Artisan Cheese from the Wine and Dine Studio. This is always one of my favorite things to get. I think it’s been done better in the past, but I still wasn’t complaining.

WDW2017-19 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-20 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We also saw this group out and about. I think they got lost on their way to Universal. Don’t worry, Jordan asked to get a photo of them (excuse his pinky too).

20171030_124350 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr
We saw Mario and crew that morning also

newhorizons1

Original Poster
We saw Mario and crew that morning also

We stayed with them for a good part of our day it seemed like. I laughed when I saw them because that morning my husband was giving me a hard time for telling him that I wasn't going to wear my Halloween costume to the parks all day on Halloween because who does that? Then, we saw these guys a full day before.

YES. I feel the same. :cry:

Looking forward to the rest of your report! Enjoying it so far :D

Thank you! We have friends that travel with their dog all the time, and I really want to plan a dog vacation! My biggest problem is he is not trained off leash!

Great start to your trip! Your little one is ADORABLE!!!!!!!

Thank you so much!

newhorizons1

Original Poster
We kept making our way through World Showcase beginning with the Mexico pavilion. We snacked while Lincoln slept.

WDW2017-22 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-23 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-24 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We sat for a little bit in Italy and enjoyed some calamari and Moscato D’Asti. They used to carry my favorite Moscato D’Asti here. Sorry, I don’t know the brand. I just recognize the bottle. They carry a different one now. Still good though.

WDW2017-25 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

IMG_5493 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We really enjoy the Eat to the Beat series, for the most part. I took a photo of the sign for the first act that was playing while we were there and sent it to my sister. She got a kick out of it. I’m the same age as the youngest brother in Hanson, and we shared a striking resemblance to one another when we were kids and they first came on the scene. Thus, I’ve always despised their music.

IMG_5494 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Up next was our favorite pavilion.

WDW2017-27 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We stopped in Mitsukoshi so Jordan could grab some milk tea. Blech! It’s something he became obsessed with when we visited Japan a few years ago.

I wasn’t really sure what the point of this little hair mask was.

20171030_134921 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

From there we headed out of Epcot and back to the resort to rest and let Lincoln stretch out for a bit.

WDW2017-28 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-29 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

newhorizons1

Original Poster
Here’s a better view from our balcony. It was pretty chilly so we really didn’t sit out there and enjoy it.

WDW2017-30 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-31 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

That night we had dinner reservations at Boma, so we walked out a little early to enjoy the animals.

WDW2017-32 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-33 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-34 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-36 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-37 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-38 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-39 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

newhorizons1

Original Poster
WDW2017-40 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-41 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-42 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-43 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Our reservation for Boma was only 15 minutes after the restaurant opened. We got to see the first few families be welcomed in with some drums playing.

WDW2017-44 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-45 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Boma has always been one of my favorite meals. This one definitely did not disappoint. Here are my plates:

WDW2017-46 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-47 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Jordan also taught Lincoln how to use straws as swords during our meal too.

20171030_170506 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

IMG_5496 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

newhorizons1

Original Poster
After a nice meal Jordan and I headed over to Hollywood Studios. My mom graciously offered to watch Lincoln for us while we went. We only had one goal for the night and that was to see Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular.

WDW2017-48by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-49by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-50 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-51by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

20171030_184632 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-52by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-53by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-55by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

newhorizons1

Original Poster
We noticed quite a bit of water was missing from this area.

WDW2017-56 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-57 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We were just killing time before the fireworks and walking around the park. All of the wait times were too long to justify trying to get on any attractions.

WDW2017-58 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-59 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Jordan told me that he really wanted to take me over to the Launch Bay. Back in April he and Lincoln went, and Lincoln met Chewbacca. I wasn’t with them because I was in a meeting at the time. It kind of crushed me a little that I wasn’t there for Lincoln’s first real character meeting, but I’ll never tell Jordan that. It would make him feel bad, and he was such a great help to me during that trip. Plus, Lincoln doesn’t remember it either.

WDW2017-60 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-61 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-62 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-63 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

There was a short wait to meet Chewbacca, so we decided to get in line. Chewbacca has held a special place in my heart ever since we got Heisenberg. Lucas got his inspiration for Chewbacca from his own big, dumb Alaskan Malamute (not sure if Lucas’ was dumb, that’s just how we describe our dog).

20171030_192515 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

20171030_192521(0) by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

newhorizons1

Original Poster
Jordan was going to tell them that I was a rebel spy, but we both know my heart is allegiant to the empire.

WDW2017-64 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-65 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-66 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We arrived just a few minutes before Disney Movie Magic

WDW2017-70 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-71 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-73 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-74 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-77 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-83 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-87 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

newhorizons1

Original Poster
Then it was time for R RS.

WDW2017-89 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-91 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-92 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-94 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-95 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-96 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-96 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

WDW2017-98 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Once the show was over we slowly made our way out of the park. We tried to wait until some of the crowds had exited in hopes for a less crowded bus. Instead, we waited 40 minutes for a bus back to AKL. While all the other bus lines cleared out, ours just kept filling up.

newhorizons1

Original Poster

newhorizons1

Original Poster
Tuesday, October 31

Today’s plan was ambitious and called for a long day. First, we had to get packed back up and have our things moved because we were checking in to Caribbean Beach. Then, we had plans to be at Animal Kingdom for EMH so that we could ride Na’vi River Journey. Next, we had to go and check in at Caribbean Beach and hope that we could get into our rooms to change into our Halloween costumes because we were going to Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party on Halloween!

The morning went off without a hitch. Well, mostly without a hitch. The night before I steamed our costumes and had them hanging up in the closet ready to go. I set out some clothes for Lincoln and me so that I could get everything else packed up and not worry about it the next morning. I asked Jordan to set out some things too the night before. He told me that he would just wait until the morning to see what the weather was like. Well, the next morning came. Mom and I were almost ready when she called bell services thinking it would probably be about fifteen or so minutes until they arrived. They showed up in about two minutes. Jordan was in his underwear. So he ended up wearing his costume all day. Fortunately, I had enough forethought to put mine and Lincoln’s costumes in the car in case our rooms weren’t ready later at Caribbean Beach.

Still with all of us and getting our luggage taken off and getting a baby ready we still managed to get to Animal Kingdom very close to 8:00 AM. Our first stop was of course Pandora.

IMG_5497 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

IMG_5499 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

We walked directly to Na’Vi River Journey, which had a posted wait time of 20 minutes.

IMG_5501 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

The line moved consistently and quickly while we all munched on Cheerios. As far as boarding processes go it seemed pretty efficient. The CMs kept the boats moving along. The ride was visually very pretty, although I could have done with fewer screens throughout. Then, we saw the Shaman of Songs, and yes, what an animatronic! And just like that it was over. Was the ride pretty? Yes. Was it anticlimactic and strongly missing any sort of cohesive story? Yes. Will I wait to ride it again a few years from now when the line is down to 5 minutes and refuse to wait much longer than that for it? You betcha. Of course, I had read the issues with the ride leading up to this but didn’t bother to tell anyone else in my group. Jordan summed up everyone’s general thoughts with it though when we got to the unloading station and asked, “Is that it?”

With that we left Pandora and headed to Dinoland for a spin on Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl before heading to Everest.

IMG_5502 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

IMG_5503 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

IMG_5504 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

IMG_5505 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

IMG_5506 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

IMG_5510 by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom