Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Princess Half Marathon: Training Not Required but Strongly Encouraged

Hey everyone - we got back last night and usually I would wait to write a trip report, but I have a few work trips coming up so this may take me awhile to finish :) So---here we go!

Who?
The usuals - my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan) PLUS a special guest appearance - my sister Jill!
The last time just the 3 of us went to Disney was way back in 2017
All my actual photos from that trip are on my other computer so here is a selfie I found :)
file-183.jpg

When?
February 22-29, 2020

Where?
The Yacht Club (again :hilarious: ) - we stayed Club Level because it was the only room I could find. Not that I am complaining !
IMG_7991.jpg

Why?
Well as the title indicates we were down there to run the Princess Half Marathon. My Mom and I signed up after @sheriffwoody and some other people talked me into it :hilarious:. It really did not take much convincing - we haven't run a half since 2016 and I was looking to do another one. As soon as we found out it was Cinderella themed (my favorite Princess) we were sold. Well....a few weeks later Jill texted us to let us know she signed up for it too!
Full disclaimer - races make me very nervous and post - race makes me very lazy. That being said, I did not use my actual camera a lot this trip so most of my photos are from my iPhone because it was more convenient and my photos from the first day are lacking due to my nerves.

The Title ?
Well...some of us actually trained for the Half and some of us did not (**cough Jill cough**).
Jill was not sure if she was actually going to run so it was a game time decision.

Day 1 February 22, 2020
My Mom and I stayed at a hotel across from the Airport just to save a little time/ get more sleep.
Here we are soaking our feet in the hot tub at the airport hotel (hoping it would make us run faster :hilarious: )
DVLtcvPFRoeSJz%5HhTtAA.jpg

We got up at 3:30 am (at least it's better than 3 am if we were at home ?) and got ready to head across the street.
We got to the airport a few minutes before the Southwest Counter opened.
We waited by the kiosks while a giant line of people waited to check in at the counter. Guess who was checked in before all of those people :hilarious::hilarious::happy:
pliq1SZ0SImG8gRLKqGxYg.jpg

Jill got to the airport right around the time the counter opened :)
We all got through security very quickly and then grabbed some bagels for breakfast and a bear claw (for Jill)
xYxp3YTyT%mDriuHWOdJNA.jpg

She said she's sorry for taking a bite before the photo :)
2I56auKKRLWviceet1rknQ.jpg

Usual dates sign - I have no idea why we continue to take these photos other than my Mom makes us :)
Jill was making this face because she was not sure she was going to run.
DSC_0340.JPG

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0342.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

Next up: more traveling

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 7 continued
IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2929.JPG

Buzz actually shut down when we were taking these photos :cry: This would be the first trip in a very long time where we did not ride Buzz! We ride it ALL the time!!!
Anyway...Touring Plans seemed to think it would be down for awhile (which it was) so we asked Jill what she wanted to to with the FP and she picked BTMR!
The people in front of us messed up their lines so we all ended up in our own car :hilarious: I'm sure the CMs were like what the heck, but if we did not space ourselves it it would have continued to mess up everyone else.
IMG_2935.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

Our next FP was 7DMT!
IMG_2938.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2947.JPG

648856966.jpeg

648857344.jpeg

Next up: more MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 7 continued
We had lunch reservations for Tony's after this so we did not have far to go. When I checked in they could not find me in the system. I had the reservation on my app so it was not a big deal, but honestly I do not think they were spelling my name right since the two people at check in were still in training and neither one spoke English :bored: Our last name is Polish and can be very difficult to understand how to spell :joyfull:
Anyway...we had a long wait as usual but eventually we were seated.
IMG_2955D.JPG

IMG_2956D.JPG

They changed the menu again and I was super bummed because they took the gnocchi off that I usually eat :cautious:
Anyway...we ordered the Spinach Dip to start
IMG_2961D.JPG

This was day and night different than the last 2 times we ordered it. This version was soupy and not very good.
For entrees I ordered the fettuccine since there was no primavera (gnocchi or otherwise) on the menu. I have ordered some version of primavera pasta from Tony's so many times - odd to see it off the menu.
IMG_2962D.JPG

My Mom ordered chicken parm
IMG_2964D.JPG

And Jill ordered the Ravioli (Mushroom Ravioli, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Crimini Mushrooms, Romano, Asparagus, and Truffle Cream Sauce)
IMG_2963D.JPG

IMG_2965D.JPG

Listen. I have been the biggest supporter of Tony's. We never understood why it got such bad reviews. Until this day. It was by far the worst meal of this trip if not the worst meal I have ever had at Disney. Like I said..the dip was the first clue as it was completely different than it was a few months prior. My Mom's food was dried out while Jill and my food tasted like it was literally watered down.:grumpy:
None of us wanted to admit this until later in the day when we were naming our favorite meals and this one came up as the worst.
UGH! I'm so bummed...it will be awhile before we go back for sure!
Anyway...after this we headed out of the MK and said good-bye with out pouty faces. Little did we know that we would not be at Disney for a lot longer than we expected :cry:
IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

Next up: Disney Springs!

Songbird76

WHAT!?! Oh wow that is terrible!! I think I will just wait for Disney + then!!
Yeah, I mean, there are 2 sides to a story, but every news article I can find basically says the same thing and that Pixar admitted to not disclosing their real intentions. It makes it easy for me to wait, considering all the movie theaters are closed here anyway. I'd wait anyway, but now it's a lot easier to do so.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 7 continued
We were trying to decide the best way to get to Disney Springs and ultimately decided to walk to the Contemporary to get a bus there.
RIP brick sidewalk
IMG_2970.JPG

We had a very short wait for a bus and it was Frozen themed! So cute!
IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

Our first stop was the Christmas shop. We were in search of these ornaments which they sometimes have pre-written on after races.
fullsizeoutput_51bf.jpeg

They did not have any pre-made so we just bought the blue ornament and Jill made us something very similar with her cricket. We really did not have the time to wait for them to be made and Jill's turned out amazing. If it was not stored with my Christmas stuff I would show you :hilarious:
Anyway...after our purchases (because I'm sure I bought more than one ornament but I can't remember) we headed to Ghirardelli.
IMG_2976.JPG

My Mom got her usual sea salt caramel sundae and Jill got a hot fudge one.
IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

I had my one ice cream for the trip from Ample Hills so I was all set. Unless its summer in Disney I almost never eat ice cream...not my thing.
IMG_2979.JPG

World of Disney was up next.
fullsizeoutput_547c.jpeg

We did not buy anything, but this shirt was cute!
IMG_2982.JPG

Next up: more DS

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 7 continued
Jill saw this drink on Instagram that she wanted to try so we headed to the Boathouse.
Cute wall!
IMG_2983.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

The drink she wanted to try is this adorable Duck, Duck, Razz (Stoli Blue Raspberry Martini)
IT'S SO CUTE!
IMG_2989.JPG

IMG_2996.JPG

My Mom had a lemon drop martini
IMG_2990.JPG

And I had strawberry gin fizz.
IMG_2991.JPG

Yum! All of our drinks were great!
IMG_2997.JPG

I keep forgetting to mention how cold it was this day too ... the weather was so bipolar.
We saw this article while we were there :joyfull:
fullsizeoutput_51c6.jpeg

Next up: more randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 7 continued
We headed back to the Yacht Club after this (by way of a Boardwalk bus since it came first - so nice to be able to do that for the Epcot resorts).
Finally took a photo of the Regatta Club MB spot in the elevator.
IMG_3006D.JPG

Tha gang was ordering room service and watching TV when we got back :hilarious:
IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_3008D.JPG

After this we headed back over to Epcot because I made us another Spaceship Earth FP :hilarious:
IMG_3012.JPG

IMG_3017.JPG

Goodbye Spaceship Earth (during it's refurb ... not forever... and then probably during it's potential second longer refurb it seems).
IMG_3018.JPG

I really wanted to stay to watch Epcot Forever and we had a dining reservation for San Angel Inn but it was freezing and we knew we would not make it. So...I pushed our reservation to our May trip (if that trip is even happening :cry: ) and we headed out.
Well, PP picture along the way.
IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

We needed to eat somewhere but no one was super hungry so we ended up finding a reservation for ESPN Club figuring we could eat something small.
IMG_3023.JPG

Next up: more ESPN Club

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 7 continued
My Mom and I both got chicken strips (my photos are awful...clearly I was getting lazy in the final hours of this trip)
IMG_3024D.JPG

We got a side of fries to share
IMG_3025D.JPG

And Jill got the Bacon and Blue Wedge Salad
IMG_3026D.JPG

Yum...the food was actually really good and a very chill way to reflect back on our trip and plan our last day.
After our meal we slowly walked back to the Yacht Club.
IMG_3030D.JPG

IMG_3031D.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG

And some random Yacht Club photos...
IMG_3037D.JPG

fullsizeoutput_547d.jpeg

IMG_3040D.JPG

IMG_3041D.JPG

Next up: last day :(

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 8 February 29, 2020
In full disclosure I forgot to take notes from this day so let's see what I remember.
We got up, got ready and packed our bags :(
We headed to the lounge for our last breakfast.
I took a few more photos....
The beverage spot with fruit and yogurt,
IMG_3049D.JPG

I just ate muffins and cheese I guess..
IMG_3050D.JPG

Some views of the tables/lounge
IMG_3051D.JPG

IMG_3052D.JPG

There was a nice balcony that we never enjoyed because it was too cold for most of the trip.
IMG_3053.JPG

Coffee bar area (sorry to the lady in her PJs I was in a rush).
IMG_3054D.JPG

Overall this lounge/Club level was nice, but I am not in a hurry to stay again. It was very hard not to compare it to Club level at the Grand (as bougie as that sounds), but we did. The food, number of options and location (ie super close to the pool) were all better at the Grand. We only booked this because it was the only room we could find...so it was nice to try it out once! The CMs working up there were also not super helpful either...very different from the other club levels we have stayed in (Grand, Poly, WL).
After this we checked our luggage and our carry-ons and headed over to DHS.
IMG_3056.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG

DSC_0631.JPG

fullsizeoutput_54e3.jpeg

Next up: more HS

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 8 continued
We headed over to Galaxy's Edge after this just to wander around
649544014.jpeg

649544115.jpeg

My sister and I decided to get some milk.
IMG_3062.JPG

Some lights for you...
IMG_3063.JPG

Blue milk vs green milk.
IMG_3066.JPG

Jill ordered the green so it was my first time trying it - it was a little flowery :grumpy:. I still prefer the blue!
IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

My Mom still doesn't like either milk :joyfull:
IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

Next up: more HS

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 8 continued
IMG_3084.JPG

We watched some people play with their droids for a few minutes.
IMG_3087D.JPG

IMG_3088D.JPG

After this we played some Heads Up in the sun before our next FP for ...Alien Swirling Saucers!
DSC_0676.JPG

DSC_0679.JPG

fullsizeoutput_54f5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_54f3.jpeg

After this we headed out of HS :(
IMG_3092.JPG

We had Epcot plans so we hopped on the Skyliner.
My sister was happy because we were by ourselves !
IMG_3094D.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

Next up: more adventures

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 8 continued
IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

I thought we were going to Aulani next so I took this photo :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
IMG_3100D.JPG

Ah it's very hard to see, but they were putting a fire out (look above the roof).
IMG_3102.JPG

We headed right to Italy for our lunch reservation
IMG_3106.JPG

Via Napoli! We snagged this reservation the night before!
IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3110D.JPG

I look ... Half asleep...
IMG_3111D.JPG

We shared some garlic bread and a cheese and pepperoni pizza
IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3115D.JPG

YUMMMMMMM 😋

Next up: finishing up our trip

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 8 continued
My sister and my Mom wanted something caramel from Germany so we headed there.
I did not want anything so I looked around. Look at this beautifullll ornament :jawdrop::joyfull:
IMG_3118D.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

My Mom got a sea salt caramel
IMG_3120.JPG

And Jill got whatever this is...
IMG_3121.JPG

We had time for one more attraction so I checked the app and we got another Figment FP :)
IMG_3123D.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3125D.JPG

I've been wanting to try another one of the flavored popcorns near Figment so I got the cheddar one.
IMG_3127.JPG

It was fine...the Buffalo one was better. Plus my fingers got super yellow stained :hilarious:
Then sadly we had to say goodbye to Epcot.
IMG_3131.JPG

Back at the Yacht Club we still had some time to kill so I got some candy for the road...
IMG_3132D.JPG

Next up: more saying goodbye

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 8 continued
Then...because my Mom and I are weirdos we headed back to the arcade :hilarious: (We dragged Jill with us).
We tried to play air hockey, but it was broken.
IMG_3163.JPG

So...we played some basketball instead.
IMG_3135D.JPG

IMG_3138D.JPG

Then we said goodbye to the pool from afar...
IMG_3140.JPG

A light for you...
IMG_3142.JPG

I wonder who's names these are...
IMG_3143D.JPG

One last selfie for the trip...
IMG_3153.JPG

Eventually our DME came...
IMG_3161.JPG

Also...I read this book and its really good! Highly recommend.
IMG_3166.JPG

And that's it. At the time I was not as sad because we were on to a new adventure (Hawaii/Disneyland)...but obviously that is not happening. Here's to hoping we can go Memorial Day Weekend (although I am not getting my hopes up) or at least the brief weekend we have planned in June :(

Anyway...thanks for reading. Overall we had a great trip! We are doing another Run Disney event in November ! The Wine and Dine 10K!

RememberWhen

Day 8 continued
Then...because my Mom and I are weirdos we headed back to the arcade :hilarious: (We dragged Jill with us).
We tried to play air hockey, but it was broken.
View attachment 461119
So...we played some basketball instead.
View attachment 461121
View attachment 461122
Then we said goodbye to the pool from afar...
View attachment 461123
A light for you...
View attachment 461124
I wonder who's names these are...
View attachment 461125
One last selfie for the trip...
View attachment 461126
Eventually our DME came...
View attachment 461127
Also...I read this book and its really good! Highly recommend.
View attachment 461128
And that's it. At the time I was not as sad because we were on to a new adventure (Hawaii/Disneyland)...but obviously that is not happening. Here's to hoping we can go Memorial Day Weekend (although I am not getting my hopes up) or at least the brief weekend we have planned in June :(

Anyway...thanks for reading. Overall we had a great trip! We are doing another Run Disney event in November ! The Wine and Dine 10K!

I hope your May/June trips work out. And I’m really hoping you were able to reschedule Aulani. It looks so beautiful! I’ve been to Hawaii a few times, but it was before Aulani was there. Oahu is a beautiful island.

Piglet_the_brave

Just caught up with your trip report, really enjoyed it and sad it’s ending. Sorry to hear about your Aulani trip being cancelled.

Looking forward to another report from you soon (hopefully) particularly your wine and dine trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom